DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried this instead of Luxury Liner QUIET BARRIER MD Vinyl Barrier Soundproofing Material for Blocking Sound And Noise

It seems to be very similar to Luxury liner 1lb per sqft, just no vinyl barrier. How much of a sound deadening difference will the vinyl barrier really make? At half the cost this seems like a very good alternative on the surface. Anyone see any reason not so use this on your floor boards?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) is a popular choice for sound deadening.

The stuff you linked has an STC rating of 27, so leads me to believe is it 1 lb / sq foot MLV.

Some sound blocking tidbits for you:

1. Mass governs blockability - the heavier the barrier the better

2. Sound can circumvent a barrier, meaning a good barrier covers 100% (overlap edges)

3. A spring mass system will help to isolate the barrier from the substrate and make it more effective. So using something like closed cell foam under the MLV is recommended.

FYI: Luxury Liner is Open celled foam with MLV, and Luxury liner PRO is Closed celled foam with MLV.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) is a popular choice for sound deadening.

The stuff you linked has an STC rating of 27, so leads me to believe is it 1 lb / sq foot MLV.

Some sound blocking tidbits for you:

1. Mass governs blockability - the heavier the barrier the better

2. Sound can circumvent a barrier, meaning a good barrier covers 100% (overlap edges)

3. A spring mass system will help to isolate the barrier from the substrate and make it more effective. So using something like closed cell foam under the MLV is recommended.

FYI: Luxury Liner is Open celled foam with MLV, and Luxury liner PRO is Closed celled foam with MLV.

So a layer of ensolite followed by a layer of the MLV and I pretty much have Luxury Liner at half the cost. I think I will be doing this. :) I know there will be some difference, however i am not sure that would be significant enough to justify the cost.

·
Registered
587 Posts
So a layer of ensolite followed by a layer of the MLV and I pretty much have Luxury Liner at half the cost. I think I will be doing this. :) I know there will be some difference, however i am not sure that would be significant enough to justify the cost.
Ensolite isn't 3/8" thick, so you would need multiple layers to try to accomplish what Luxury Liner does. I don't think it's that simple though, as ensolite would likely compress with the weight of the MLV, prevent decoupling, and greatly reduce effectiveness. 'T-bone' argued ostentatiously with Don of sounddeadenershowdown.com about this, so you can pretty much bet on ensolite not cutting it. See the thread titled 'Attack of the Door Panel Snatchers'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts