DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Back from the dead....

Have seen a lot of comments made towards not worth using them & such, but no actual experiences yet. As it stands, I ordered 4 from the clearance and they actually sound pretty good even though they're only baffled in a towel for a quick listening. Cutting off the low end and they seem to handle power while staying clean. Hmmmm.... will have to play around a bit more, but I digress. I'm sure these are not on anyone's list. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I want to make something clear... I have not done a thorough audition with these where they will actually go as my vehicle is in the shop.

I carried out the same listening tests as with any other drivers (including prefab) I've played with.... IE same amp, same source, same music except these were wrapped in a towel as I didn't have time to make a baffle.

Anyways these faired well to my ears in tonality & on/off axis. I used my Sherwood amp with no crossover, only dialed back the bass to -10 to see what sort of power they could handle without bottoming the coil. Music was Eurobass Express as it has good instrumentals, percussion, and bass of course, but is recorded very well like all other Bass 305 & DM Records. I was able to crank the amp up to pretty high levels without hint of distortion or risk of smacking the backplate. With a actual crossover I'm sure they will do even better. As far as the sensitivity debate.... not going to get into that vs power response. All should know better! ;)

Basically, they seem like good performers with a great price for applications where space is an issue. I can't fairly assess what they will handle so I won't go there, but I will say these are slated to run off part of a MRX-F30. There's other options of course, but all should know I don't follow the mainstream most of the time.

·
Registered
896 Posts
If price is not as much a concern but performance in a small package is, check out the CDT ES 02's, 2" full range driver. Things are phenomenal!!

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Although I'm sure the CDT will have good performance, really don't want to turn this into a pissing match since the BMR already got press without a fair trial. After all do we really want to pit a $10 pair against a $150??? Plus that sort of takes the fun out of testing your own creativity if you wanted to experiment with something like an array. I don't think anyone would want to risk $300-400 on that, but $20.... ;)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Although I'm sure the CDT will have good performance, really don't want to turn this into a pissing match since the BMR already got press without a fair trial. After all do we really want to pit a $10 pair against a $150??? Plus that sort of takes the fun out of testing your own creativity if you wanted to experiment with something like an array. I don't think anyone would want to risk $300-400 on that, but $20.... ;)
Oh I totally understand. Since the market for 2" full range drivers is a narrow one, thought I would throw another option out there if someone was just tight on space versus budget. No way can the CDT compete price wise. Who knows maybe the BMR can compete sound wise with the CDT. For the price of the BMR I may be willing to test that.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
What intrigues me is this fandangled binaural mode inverted rectum radiation or whatever it is.... :confused: I have no clue to what they're even talking about. Not sure if it's hype or what, but all I'm interested in is it's form & output performance for the dollar. Not expecting anything major, then again who would have thought the Whispers had performance like so? Just hate to see these disappear before anyone has a chance to play with them for 4-5 bucks each.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Yeah I'm sort of tempted to get a few more pairs. Would come in handy for other projects like home or computer audio, but at the same time I don't want to get hung up on only experimenting with these. It's just that you know once they're gone the last source may be some inflated deals on ebay like how the JM Focal clearance mids went. :mad:

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I just ordered a few. The previous model got decent reviews. I'm going to try a 2x vertical array on each A-pillar.
Along the same lines I'm thinking. Although the MS-62C plays well, axis issues plague my old suv. Not to mention I will be able to opt for a midbass to my liking if the BMR can keep up level wise. I do believe in the right enclosure the BMR will play fairly deep, maybe not loud. Still, paired with the faithful deep digging Jamo, may have an ultimate super budget set that can easily mate up to the clinical sound of a HO 10" sealed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
For testing or even install purposes, those project boxes from Parts Express work great for enclosures. Just buy whatever enclosure size you need.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I made a closed cell foam gasket for the speaker, filled the project box with polyfill and mounted it right to the inside of door panel. They make for a clean and simple project. I did not want to build a box for those.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I made a closed cell foam gasket for the speaker, filled the project box with polyfill and mounted it right to the inside of door panel. They make for a clean and simple project. I did not want to build a box for those.

WHOA!!! So did this become a permanent enclosure? Now that's ingenious! I don't have room behind my panels like that but it surely will open up doors for others.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yes it did. I only had the cutout in the door card for a 6.5'' driver and the factory mid was actuallly mounted where the project box is. I had a depth of 1.5'' to work with so I needed a small driver that performed well. I needed something to dip down to 450hz and to get that from this small of a driver I had no choice but to go sealed. I slept on it for 2 nights and the light came on. The driver depth is like 1.25 and the box was like 1.38. Driver only required around 4 to 8 cubic inches for optimal performance. Like a glove!!! lol.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Heck... I have to commend you on that. I think too often we depend on or preach IB when in a lot of cases it may not be ideal. Even with the Diamond 5.25" comp set in my work truck I have modeled IB vs enclosed with the specs pulled with a WT3. The difference was intriguing since the woofer's requirement suggested a very small & doable enclosure would net the same response, but with better cone control. I never did it, but as of now the xover point has to be set rather high (200hz?) since they're easy to bottom out with the meager 65 watts going to them. The same thing was done to a set of RS75-4 and they definitely took advantage of being enclosed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yea If I had used a larger midrange driver I probably would have gone IB. I initially bought some 4'' mids but just too tight a fit. With these 2'' drivers, they needed a little help to get the lower end extension to meet up with my midbass driver. I even thought about some of the dome midranges, but they still don't have the lower frequency performance I needed. I also thought about how the midbass driver may affect a mid thats somewhat near it and mounted forward of it, if it was mounted IB. The back of the mids cone would be subject to sound vibrations from the midbass driver. I've never really dealt or thought about that particular scenario, and it may be nothing to worry about but I didn't take the chance. Thanks for the comments.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts