DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few days I've been listening to a I6SW in the recommended .32ft ported box in my truck and it is a pretty impressive little woofer.

So here is my dilemma. I have space to run two 6's, either on doors or via a console, two 8's in console or 4 6's via combination of console and doors. All assuming the recommended enclosure requirements. Regardless of combination, there will be ~500w for all combined woofers at a 2ohm load.

I know that all other things being equal, doubling cone area or power will give a 3db increase. With that in mind, logic says that there is no difference in 4 6's at 125w each and 2 6's at 250w each from an SPL perspective. Recommended power is 120w, but the one I'm currently listening too is running off of a bridged 600w amp, so I don't think 250w will be all that hard on them.

To the 8's. by normal standards these should be able to play lower and better handle the power, so are they worth moving to over the 6's?

As for listening habits, I listen to mostly rock, pop and some hip hop. Definitely not looking for a ground pounder but I do like to hear it thump once in a while. I was running a JL 13TW5 and it sounds nothing like this little 6's I'm running now. It made a lot of noise and got loud, but I like the sound of the 6 better.

Part of me wants the 6's just for the "dare to be different" aspect. I would consider a 10, but I can't run two of them so I'd be stuck with only 250w on it. Not sure if it matters, but the cone area on the 4 6's is roughly 20% more than two 8's.

Also, I will be running a HAT L8 for midbass so I don't need to subs to get up past 60hz or so.

Any thoughts? Any of the team HAT members running I8SW's?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
personally I prefer a little deeper bass, and 6.5" just dont have the guts to hit those low notes, so I would go with the 8".

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
personally I prefer a little deeper bass, and 6.5" just dont have the guts to hit those low notes, so I would go with the 8".
Normally I would say the same thing, but after seeing this thing pump out a 40hz note without skipping a beat (so to speak), I'm a little more inclined to give them a shot. I have yet to find any of my music that goes below 30 and few go to that level. Most of it is in the 40-60 for the low end.

However I'm still looking :) Ever since I saw Patrick's little tip on how to use Audacity to plot the frequencies in a song I've been going through all my 'bass' tracks looking.

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts