DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to pull my system together and determine the best way to power everything. Some stuff is ordered, other stuff I will order when it becomes available. Below is the list of parts I'll be using.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS (awaiting release)
Amp: ARC Audio KS900.6 (on order)
Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies I61-2 (on order)
Subwoofer: Hybrid Audio Technologies I10SW (on order, 1.5 cf enclosure port tuned to 28 Hz)

With the DEH-80PRS I will be able to run the front stage and sub active. That includes crossovers, time alignment and separate L/R side 16 band EQs. The KS900.6 is capable of 60w x 4 @ 4 Ohms + 550w x 1 @ 4 Ohms, or 120w x 2 @ 4 Ohms + 550w @ 4 Ohms. The head unit claims to be capable of 50w x 4 (assuming peak, not RMS).

I have seen mentioned many times, including in this forum (and by Scott Buwalda himself) that the tweeters will only ever use in the single digits of clean power in watts. So my question becomes, am I better off running both the tweeters and mids off of the amp with only 60w per channel? Or would I be better served to run the tweeters directly off of the HU and bridging the the KS900.6 to provide 120w RMS to the mids?

Along with any suggestions you may have, can you provides pros and cons of going one route vs the other.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
the operative word there is "clean power" most HUs do not produce more than 10 watts of clean power. will it work, sure. will it sound good, that is debatable.

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And that is my concern. I know the 50 watts is peak power from the HU, but I can’t imagine those tweeters ever needing more than 8-10 at peak. And even that is probably stretching it. I suppose I could wait it out until the HU is available and then do some test listening in the car before the install is finalized. I know I could always add another small 2 channel amp, but I really don’t have the budget right now. Certainly not to pick up a matching ARC amp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You may be over thinking it. The Imagines were designed to be used as coaxials. Use the clean power from your amp (even bridged it if you want) and forget about it.

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't feel I am over thinking it at all. I have looked at my options, and the majority of the reason I am going with the DEH-80PRS is to aid in running the imagines as components.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I think at least one member, subbiemax (?), tried powering tweeters with the stereo's amplifier and it worked. Imagine tweeters need very little power since they play mostly in the treble range. At first I thought of doing the same using my Kenwood head unit, but in the end chickened out and bought a 4x80 watt amplifier (MB Quart REF4.80) to power tweeters and woofers. I can't complain.. very nice sound. The mids are high passed a [email protected] Unfortunately, these relatively compact and allegedly underrated amplifiers are not available any more except for some vendors with old stock.

This path leaves me with more options as I could integrate a JBL MS-8 into my audio system, and I still have spare channels on another amplifier for rear fill. I do feel tempted to buy that Pioneer head unit instead.

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm really tempted to move forward with the tweeters powered off the head unit and the mids run off of the bridged channels on the KS900.6. If the tweeters end up being under powered I may just look for a decent quality inexpensive amp like the Clarion XR2210 to power them. The price is right on something like that and it has a fairly small footprint for a class AB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts