DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to decide between these three tweeters for a 2 way active stealth install.

Currently running SPX-177R comps, likely to change to W18NX mid/midbass, will probably like to crossover ~2KHz. Tweets are likely to be somewhat off axis in factory locations in sail panels. (stealth requirement)

Unfortunately there are no dealers here in NZ, so I'm not able to audition any of them - any help would be greatly appreciated. (Buying all three options would probably be cheaper than the flights required to audition!)

I'm looking for detailed, non fatiguing sound.

From what I've read, my top options are:

Morel Supremo Piccolo
Well known for non fatiguing, detailed sound
I'd have to cut down faceplates to fit them in :eek: (does this change response significantly?)
Quite limited off axis response - do these work OK off axis??

Mille ML 280
Possibly not quite as smooth as Supremo?
OK off axis response
Could be installed slightly more on axis due to smaller size

Hybrid Audio L1 Pro R2 (or L1 Pro SE)
Very good off axis response
Smoother and less fatiguing than other Hybrid tweets - but how does this compare to Mille and Supremo? How easy are they to listen too?

Any help from those who have compared would be greatly appreciated!

Please give reasons where possible and don't just vote for your favorite brands! :)

Thanks!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hi, I'm trying to decide between these three tweeters for a 2 way active stealth install.

Currently running SPX-177R comps, likely to change to W18NX mid/midbass, will probably like to crossover ~2KHz. Tweets are likely to be somewhat off axis in factory locations in sail panels. (stealth requirement)

Unfortunately there are no dealers here in NZ, so I'm not able to audition any of them - any help would be greatly appreciated. (Buying all three options would probably be cheaper than the flights required to audition!)

I'm looking for detailed, non fatiguing sound.

From what I've read, my top options are:

Morel Supremo Piccolo
Well known for non fatiguing, detailed sound
I'd have to cut down faceplates to fit them in :eek: (does this change response significantly?)
Quite limited off axis response - do these work OK off axis??

Mille ML 280
Possibly not quite as smooth as Supremo?
OK off axis response
Could be installed slightly more on axis due to smaller size

Hybrid Audio L1 Pro R2 (or L1 Pro SE)
Very good off axis response
Smoother and less fatiguing than other Hybrid tweets - but how does this compare to Mille and Supremo? How easy are they to listen too?

Any help from those who have compared would be greatly appreciated!

Please give reasons where possible and don't just vote for your favorite brands! :)

Thanks!!!! :)
I had a set of R2's for a whole 10 mins, one of them was dead. i can tell you my opinoon based on what i did hear though out of the working driver.

they were VERY effortless drivers, with very clean sound, absolutely no harshness , you already know they do great off axis with very smooth responses. personly though, i'm not sure if i'm gonna stick with them. I'm thinking about the DLS Scandinavians but you're looking for smaller tweeters. the DLS's are huge tehe.

you can't go wrong in any case, in your position i'd go with what i've heard, or what i know the most about, or do more research to try and narrow things down but theirs only so much you can learn with out listening to a driver.

but off the table of these choises ive only dealt with hybrid so i'd go with the R2's. but they are all good drivers from reputable company's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a Toss up between the Supremo and L1Pro r2. Mille is also good, but not in the league of Supremo's.

I have heared Mille and Supremo only. but having heared the HAT Clarus Tweeters, i have no doubts on the performance of L1Pro r2.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
The clarius tweeters are very harsh and bright. I heard a pair in various locations and with the stock crossovers and active crossovers. Not impressed. I would put them into the same class as Polk. Just hearing someone say they sounded good leads me to discount their opinion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The clarius tweeters are very harsh and bright. I heard a pair in various locations and with the stock crossovers and active crossovers. Not impressed. I would put them into the same class as Polk. Just hearing someone say they sounded good leads me to discount their opinion.
I felt Mille was even more Harsh. Clarus was sharp, no doubt but wasn't really harsh. BTW, heared all three of them in Active Setups.
I ve heared polk momo sereis in passive mode, i am doubly sure clarus is much better (in terms of harshness) than the polk.

Ultimately, in Active setups, it also boils down the Amp one is using and the location. The Clarus i heared sported the sexy Helix P400; Installed on A-pillar with 60 deg on axis.

The Mille I heared was on a rare Nakamichi PA 2 Channel.

The Supremo Piccolo, was on an Audison Lrx.

Best of the lot was the Supremo,

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Supremo's for me also...enjoyable to listen to!!

ML 280's are very nice also.... I rate them 2nd in the group you have listed

then HAT Tweets, they never really sounded very smooth to me, but lots of guys use them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can also state that the R2´s are very easy to listen to. And the off axis response is really great!
I do like the "Morel-Soudn" also, but you cannot cut the faceplate of a Supremo. IF you cannot install it like that you´d be with a Supremo picollo.

I did choice the R2s over the Morels...

The Mille is not in that league, I´d say.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Thehatedguy is selling some scan illuminator tweets in the classifieds section right now. They are awesome. Great off axis response, very smooth and detailed. I've heard them in several competition cars. I almost got them for my car, but was trying to stay in budget and also wanted something i could ffully hide. I'd seriously give them a look, and would easily put them up against the hybrids or Hertz, which I've also heard in competition cars. I've not messed with the Morel piccolo's enough to say anything about them, but they don't seem to be optimum for your install anyway. You really need to lok at them though, i think you'd be really satisfied.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I just got a pair of HAT R2s and I have Illuminators, and ML280s, but unfortunately no Piccolos to listen to. I can do some subjective listening this weekend, but I think the lowest crossover I have is 2.8K.

In previous listening I think I prefer the ML280 over the Illuminators but I did not level match them. So some of the preference may just be sensitivity. And it is really splitting hairs, both sounded great. I am not sure of the correct terminology but the ML280 seemed more detailed, but still very smooth. The Illuminators were darker and fuller for lack of better words. I cannot believe anyone would classify the ML280 as harsh. But we all have our preferences. Maybe at 2K the Illuminators might have an edge as they did have a little more full sound.

I don't think you could go wrong in any case with the selection you have listed.

Jim

·
Registered
641 Posts
Are you sure the tweeters were harsh or that you were hearing glare due to woofer cone breakup?

There's a difference between the two. Glare can usually be fixed by adjusting the crossover (lowering the transition point), whereas brightness would be cured usually by raising it. In a 2 way setup, it's harder to make these changes unless the woofer is capable of playing very high.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Likewise!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can only speak to my experience with the Mille. They are very nice and are not harsh at all. Other nice thing is they can take some power. I have run them with up to 200 watts no problem. Also can handle being crossed over very low. I run mine at 2K with no problem and could play lower.

·
Registered
446 Posts
+1 to what is said above, look into the scan illuminators, but rather than buy thehatedguys if you didnt want to buy used (even though from what i seen every piece of equipment he has ever seemed to sold has looked brand new, and his knowledge of caraudio far exceeds anything i could dream of) if you wanted to buy new, look into the ring radiator version of them. they have a little better top end and a little less peaky response.

(ScanSpeak Illuminator R3004/6020-00 1" Tweeter Small Ring Radiator: Madisound Speaker Store)

they're pretty swell off axis with some slight ring radiator help, very shallow when you buy the compact version, (if you have beth to work with for your application, then buy the deep chambered ones.)

they get my vote for performance, quality, and sound, without any diminishing returns on price to high priced tweeters.

but to stay within your selection, its really between the supremos and hat's.

I personally would run the hat's only because I tend to run 3 way active and their midranges l4se and l3se make me cream my pants. the cdm-88 by morel is great, but not excellent, mostly because it has to crossed over a little higher, which makes it somewhat difficult to acheive a blend between the midbass and midrange.

Depending on your application of 2 way vs 3 way, for 2 way the supremos win hands down on the low end, and no fatiguing warmth they put out and they articulate the details very well but in a subtle way (great for hard rock which can get ear bleeding)

however for 3 ways the hat's are smaller, great with top end detail and off axis response which is hard for a lot of tweeters to achieve.) plus killer looks.

so in order of what you mentioned, id still go hat, supremo, scans , milles.

but depending on your application 2 vs 3 way it could go, supremo, hats, scans, milles

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I can vouch for the illuminators.... Very nice:)

The Hybrids are an exceptional Tweeter as well... Very smooth, silky, and laid back. Not as Bright as some of the other HAT Tweeters. Although there is nothing wrong with the other HAT Tweeter's. I just prefer the Pro R2's, they suit my tastes the best.

Its a preference thing... Just like in the 90's some people loved MB Quart some hated it. Some people like a more in you're face type sound, some like a laid back sound.

I like a laid back sound with a bit of sizzle, so something in between I suppose.

You need to get out and listen for yourself.... let you're ears be the judge, not someone elses, that's the best advise I can give you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I heard HAT and ML280 in the same setup, i found hat more eficient off-axis a bit less harsh than hertz's.

Heard Piccollo in another setup i really like them, in my opninion it's as good as hat but with a bit more of salt. If you know what i mean.

But out of these three, i'd chose my own tweets, Scan's D3004/6020-00 these are the soft dome ones. THey are bright but not fatiguing, work quite well off-axis and cheaper than all others.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the input so far. :) I'd still like to hear more from anyone who has compared these.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have had the new ml280s installed them and hated them.. Just did not sound up to par from my previous setup of the mt23s.. Now I run HAT L1R2 and love them.. Honestly I was originally not a HAT fan but after taking the dive to own them I must say I am sold!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, thanks heaps for all the input so far guys! :) Looks like it's going to be down to the Supremo Piccolos or the HAT L1 Pro R2.

I'm still looking for more input from anyone who has compared these two - particularly with respect to how laid back and easy to listen to they are.

Any comparisons to my existing Alpine/Vifa XT19 tweeters would be very useful too. I am expecting both of these two replacement options to be superior in detail. What I love about the xt19 is that it is very smooth and easy to listen to - I'd hate to lose that.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts