DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as I am planning on everything prior to the install of a few new items in my car, I'm looking for some ideas to use the HAT L3 as best as I can.

The manual mentions it is designed for IB use, also read ppl having trouble achieving wide ranges with the L3 in small sealed pods.

As you can see, I have my tweeters installed where it used to be an air vent (now they are on-axis):

This is the stock dashboard, taken from a website - nevermind the TID

I was planning on installing the L3s using the original tweeter location as a base for building an on-axis pod (have to figure out how to make as close as possible to IB), also keeping the tweeters where they are right now, adding adjustable pods to better direct and tune the system.

The original tweeter mount location, as you can see above, is the part I´m about to play with. This is the inside of this part:

I had a buddy suggesting me to install the L3s where my tweeters are and placing my tweeters in an A column pod.

This is my build log thread: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/59441-corsa-sedan-sq-install.html

Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Hi, casao.
In that car I would do something like this, to try and get a bit more stage width.

Or this, to try and keep it a bit more stealth.

Yellow = L3's
Red = Tweeters.

Just leave the back of the pod open so the L3's can "see" as much air as possible.
Have you contacted Diogo. He's part of Team Hybrids, lives in Brazil and has the L3's in the pillars.

Jorge.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I would do what Doitor suggested, but maybe put the tweeter in the sail panel on axis. experimenting is key :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
^^^^ those two know their hat stuff

trust them on this

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi, casao.
In that car I would do something like this, to try and get a bit more stage width.

Or this, to try and keep it a bit more stealth.

Yellow = L3's
Red = Tweeters.

Just leave the back of the pod open so the L3's can "see" as much air as possible.
Have you contacted Diogo. He's part of Team Hybrids, lives in Brazil and has the L3's in the pillars.

Jorge.
Thanx for your help!

Yes, I know Diogo! He (and some other Team Hybrids members) actually helped me close the deal on the Audison!

I bought the L3 after he recommended it to me.

I have yet to see the execution of an open pod, but I´m all for it!

One thing that concerns me is that Brasilia is not the safest place in the world, and, due to the city's characteristic of being a literally an artist's work, safe parking can be an issue... So... I´d really love to keep the install as low profile as possible.

The sun is also very harsh over here - it´s usually very dry and sunny -, so I´d like to know if exposing the speakers that much would be harmful to them.

Finally, by analysing the Montana install that Diogo posted (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/46361-chevrolet-montana-hybrid-audio.html), it looks like the tweeter at the A-pillar ended up pretty much where my tweeter is installed today - I'd say 1" difference -, only a bit higher.

So, if I placed the L3 where the tweeter is at this Montana, I´ll possibly end up having my tweeters even closer than they are today. :(

I´m gonna have to try to make this install as deep as I can!

I´ll try some mock-up builds and I´ll post some pics!

Thanx again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would do what Doitor suggested, but maybe put the tweeter in the sail panel on axis. experimenting is key :)
Thought about that too!

That would free up more space for the L3 to be installed as good as possible!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome build! Congrats, man!

Thanx for the tips! Should be very useful, once I go for it, for real!

It will be my 1st attempt too, so I´m willing to learn as much as I can to mess up as less as possible! :laugh:

I´m still nursing a broken ankle, but I´ll work on upgrading my power wires this weekend.

Need to buy more speaker cables to run this install, as well...

·
Registered
566 Posts
if your looking for stealth try what i did, L1 pro's in the A-pillar (not so stealth), L4's in the doors ib (seems weird but results are awesome so far and no one knows that they are there) and midbass in the kicks

Awesome job so far maybe you could even do like doitor did with the hidden tweeter

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Maybe something like this will work?

Maybe Not?
One thing that concerns me is that Brasilia is not the safest place in the world, and, due to the city's characteristic of being a literally an artist's work, safe parking can be an issue... So... I’d really love to keep the install as low profile as possible.

The sun is also very harsh over here - it’s usually very dry and sunny -, so I’d like to know if exposing the speakers that much would be harmful to them.
Since your goals seem to be:
1.) SQ
2.) Stealth
3.) Drivers away from windows/dash due to heat

I say scrap the dash idea and focus on getting the L3's in the kicks. The advantages are obvious, less path length differences, drivers farther from the ears, stealth enclosure possible:

STEP 1
I would mount them in the kicks in a temp enclosure and run them by themselves and focus on aiming and tuning. See how high and how low the drivers will play and if you can get imaging up on the dash with just these drivers playing. How good is the depth, center, focus, stage width, realism, etc? I would work on this using YOUR own ears as well as consult with the Hybrid guys to see what they think about running the L3's up into the 6KHz+ range alone in the kicks vs. a lower crossover point with a tweeter in the kicks as well.

STEP 2
I would add the tweeters next. I would decide the "BEST" location for the tweeters based solely on how they sound, PERIOD!!! I would try them in the kicks with the mids and I would try them up high using a high crossover point at the mid/tweet cutoff. ..Like 5KHz-7KHz+ range. I would not settle on a particular location for them until I have tried them in the Pillars aimed across, aimed at the listener, On the dash aimed at the listener, In the door pods aimed across, aimed at the listener, etc, etc......

Find the "BEST" location for the drivers based on where they sound "BEST."

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
if your looking for stealth try what i did, L1 pro's in the A-pillar (not so stealth), L4's in the doors ib (seems weird but results are awesome so far and no one knows that they are there) and midbass in the kicks

Awesome job so far maybe you could even do like doitor did with the hidden tweeter

luv that l1 pro pillar install...looks oem

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Thanx for your help!

Yes, I know Diogo! He (and some other Team Hybrids members) actually helped me close the deal on the Audison!

I bought the L3 after he recommended it to me.

I have yet to see the execution of an open pod, but I´m all for it!

One thing that concerns me is that Brasilia is not the safest place in the world, and, due to the city's characteristic of being a literally an artist's work, safe parking can be an issue... So... I´d really love to keep the install as low profile as possible.

The sun is also very harsh over here - it´s usually very dry and sunny -, so I´d like to know if exposing the speakers that much would be harmful to them.

Finally, by analysing the Montana install that Diogo posted (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/46361-chevrolet-montana-hybrid-audio.html), it looks like the tweeter at the A-pillar ended up pretty much where my tweeter is installed today - I'd say 1" difference -, only a bit higher.

So, if I placed the L3 where the tweeter is at this Montana, I´ll possibly end up having my tweeters even closer than they are today. :(

I´m gonna have to try to make this install as deep as I can!

I´ll try some mock-up builds and I´ll post some pics!

Thanx again!
very clean tweeter instal:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts