DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as many know, the BMW is limited for front OEM speaker placement (4" components)

I now have a pair of HAT L3 and just found a pair of Focal 4w2 that I impulse bought.

FYI - the tweeter and crossover is the Boston Neo Type M...gives the options of 3kHz or 8kHz crossover points on the passive crossover that comes with the tweeter (-0/3/6/9 dB adjustments too)

given the cost of install, I'd like to put the correct mid bass set in ideally the first time.

from reading on the web

HAT L3
- has better upper freq response. therefore I can cross over the tweeter at 8kHz
- more work to install as I need to pay for adaptor rings to fit the BMW's 4" holes

focal 4w2
- word is it will go lower but the upper range isn't as good, so the crossover on the tweeter is going to be 3kHz
- cannot find the freq response on them
- easier to install in the car. needing only a simple spacer ring (although - I don't know the mounting depth, so it may not even work.)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no opinions? I'm booked for installation next week. I don't want to second guess my install.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chose the HAT L3 speakers and they sounded awesome right off the bat. No break in. I am sure they are going to be even better in a few weeks.

The Boston pro neo type M tweeters were crossed over at 8khz with only -3db attenuation and it was definitely not harsh.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts