DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These bad boys just barely fit...but just barely means I have L4SE's in my stock mid pods. Had to rip out the foam ring inside the trim cover and do minimal trimming on the edge of the mounting hole to clear the terminals on the mid. If the terminals were smaller, it would have fit with only reversible mods to the trim cover.

I had Fountek FR88EX's in already, so I get to see how these sound in comparison.

·
Registered
195 Posts
w00t. Go L4SE!!!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
These bad boys just barely fit...but just barely means I have L4SE's in my stock mid pods. Had to rip out the foam ring inside the trim cover and do minimal trimming on the edge of the mounting hole to clear the terminals on the mid. If the terminals were smaller, it would have fit with only reversible mods to the trim cover.

Nice... I just got my L3SE's installed in the same pod locations last weekend. I don't have any equalization on them and they sound a bit stuffy due to the small enclosure area. I started with a good chunk of polyfill right off the bat. I'm debating cutting a hole so they share the door chamber with the L6SE's, which would "open them up" to IB configuration and may improve the frequency response.

Anyway nice job and I'll be interested to know how you think they sound.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Nicely done. Not having access to the tools to make the ring you made is exactly why I sold mine. Old school QWD100s from the QSD-210 set are drop-ins except for needing new mounting holes. Not to finally get the QWD160 in and I can finally put my door panels back on. :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice... I just got my L3SE's installed in the same pod locations last weekend. I don't have any equalization on them and they sound a bit stuffy due to the small enclosure area. I started with a good chunk of polyfill right off the bat. I'm debating cutting a hole so they share the door chamber with the L6SE's, which would "open them up" to IB configuration and may improve the frequency response.

Anyway nice job and I'll be interested to know how you think they sound.
TY, I can't really comment on sound quite yet as my stereo was about ready for tuning and then I got a deal on the HAT drivers I couldn't pass up. Gotta get the L6SE's and Morel Supremo Piccolo tweets in and then tune it and give everything a good listen.

I considered venting into the door, but I am kinda worried about how they would interact with the midbass, my current ones energize the door quite a bit even with deadening. I have also considered putting these up for trade and getting some L3SE's and sticking them and the tweet in the a-pillar.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nicely done. Not having access to the tools to make the ring you made is exactly why I sold mine. Old school QWD100s from the QSD-210 set are drop-ins except for needing new mounting holes. Not to finally get the QWD160 in and I can finally put my door panels back on. :D:D:D
Those Quarts should sound good, drop in is a huge plus! I know how it feels to be overseas with lack of tools, we were at Spangdahlem from 2005-2008. I ended up buying cheap 220 tools from Hela and using them over there. If you ever need anything made that you can't do over there, lemme know, I will fab it up for shipping and material cost.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I considered venting into the door, but I am kinda worried about how they would interact with the midbass, my current ones energize the door quite a bit even with deadening. I have also considered putting these up for trade and getting some L3SE's and sticking them and the tweet in the a-pillar.
Yea that was my concern too. But what about all those home audio speaker cabinets, especially the oldschool ones with the huge enclosures and high VAS drivers. They stuck a mid in the same enclosure as a 12" sub and some of them managed to sound okay :D But I'd likely need something more than anecdotal evidence like that before I permanently cut my door skins up... I need to buy a speaker design book or two and see what the pros and cons are. Or maybe just fire an e-mail over to Scott.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea that was my concern too. But what about all those home audio speaker cabinets, especially the oldschool ones with the huge enclosures and high VAS drivers. They stuck a mid in the same enclosure as a 12" sub and some of them managed to sound okay :D But I'd likely need something more than anecdotal evidence like that before I permanently cut my door skins up... I need to buy a speaker design book or two and see what the pros and cons are. Or maybe just fire an e-mail over to Scott.
Most of the enclosures that were like that had sealed back midranges in my experience, but if there are some completely open designs that worked, that give the idea hope! I am curious what you find.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Most of the enclosures that were like that had sealed back midranges in my experience, but if there are some completely open designs that worked, that give the idea hope! I am curious what you find.
I have no idea really, I was just guessing that they were open. I'll have to investigate further...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts