DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a near mint third gen HCCA 225 (pop top) that I want to use as my sub amp. I have a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder and was planning on running this on the stock electrical system. I will run 4 gauge throughout. I posted on another forum and seem to be getting all types of responses that are directed towards not using this amp unless I upgrade everything (alt, big 3, etc.)

I was planning on using this just for daily driver listening and was planning on running it 1 ohm mono for 2 12' Orion Xtr3 (old school build). Can I run this on the stock electrical without having to do the big 3 (i'm really not interested in doing that). Also, on the other forum I was told the stock fuse on the amp (Orion recommended 30-35 amp fuse) should not be used and replaced with something else higher like a 60 fuse. Any thoughts?

Please let me know your experiences running this amp on stock electrical and also what fusing you used for it. I am not interested in gettng rid of this amp as I looked for about 6 months to find one in this condition before purchasing. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
my brother ran a 1st gen 225HCCA and a 250SX on the stock electrical system of a honda civic through 4ga wire. more than enough. if you did the big3 and a better battery you may be able to squeeze the last 10% out of those amplifiers, but they will put out plenty of power.

as for the fuse, the 225HCCA puts out MAX 400 watts bridged to 1 ohm. that is a 35-40 amp draw MAX assuming 50-60% efficiency. a 35 amp fuse is more than adequate.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
At least the third gen was not as sensitive to low voltage situations like the OG models. The first gen O-fryings were notorious for losing the power supply FETs when exposed to low voltage.

The only thing I will add is to make sure that you allow for proper ventilation OR add a fan or two to keep the heat from building up around the amplifier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts