DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted most of this to another post, but since it wan't my post i igured I ought to post it on my own.

I hooked up my 900/5 and was setting the gains according to the manual. I noticed the amp got pretty warm. Is that normal ? I thought class d amps didn't get that warm, my a/b diamond amps did, but didn't expect it on the Hd I bought. I have 4g power and ground wires and since my battery is in the back of my car I ran the ground wire 4ft to it too, sound ok ? Also my HU, has a sub control that says -50 to +10, what is concidered 75% volume on the sub ? I know about 26-27 is 75% of the total volume of the HU ( 0-35) on my Kenwood. I set the gains at volume 27 and the sub set to +7 on my HU, but it doesn't seem to have the power i expected, maybe because i set it at the wrong level for the sub ?? I don't want to set it wrong and clip the amp signal and hurt the sub. I have the amp totally disconnected right now til I figure out if I have the power and ground correct or gains set right. My car is all plastic and carbon fiber and a Aluminum frame, and there isn't a close place to ground the amp to except the battery, without drilling a hole and locating the frame , since the back of the car is like a big fiberglass bucket sitting on the Alum frame. I should have alot of headroom on my boston sub too since it's rated at about 250rms I think.

Also The amp ran fine and didn't go into protection or anything, the light stayed green even when it felt pretty warm to me. I just want to make sure i get it 100% correct before mounting it. Is 4ft of ground wire too much ?, Jl says 5ft is acceptable.

thx guys

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm sure others will be by to help you better than I can. My 600/4 got pretty hot when it was in the trunk. Under the seat it barely gets above ambient even when playing very loud for 30 minutes. Do you have it in the hatch area? My friend used the same amp in his Z06, right behind the front seats with the ground run the same way and no issues at all. It runs just like mine, barely warm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had it sitting on the back carpet while setting the gains and it seemed to get pretty warm to me, I even had it sitting on a piece of wood, so the carpet wasn't insulating it. Maybe i set the gains too high ? My old amps ran warm too, so that is why i wonder if the wiring or amp draw might be a issue ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW i really like GN's :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts