DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the point where I want to upgrade my stereo/HU in my '05 Impala from stock to something better. Ideally I'd like to stick in the $250 or less range, but willing to go up to $300 if there is something that is really worth paying more (been looking on sonicelectronix for basis of prices).

I've heard of all the usual names, Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, etc but my problem is that I don't really know anything about brands like Eclipse, Clarion, and Boss. Could someone help point me in the right direction?

I've got a 4 channel amp for the fronts and rears, and a mono amp for my sub right now so I think I'd prefer one with 3 RCA outputs. Also, I use my ipod a lot and the FM transmitter I'm using now is really frustrating for me. I'd prefer one that will also charge my ipod.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
This unit has proven that it works and works well. Given your parameters it will do the job and then some. :)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I know that everyone is obsessed about SQ here, but why do head units with not BT for hands free calling get a free pass these days? Having a cellphone is a fact of line now. I love SQ, but I also care about my safety, I put it first. The stereo of a daily driver car must have this feature IMO.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I know that Boss basically makes cheap stuff with the least appeal for sound quality enthusiasts..

If you want to hear my recommendation, I'd say look into Alpine CDA-117 with the optional bluetooth module. It has rear USB port/cable for your ipod that can stay hidden out of your and thiefs view. It also has 3 sets of 4V pre-amp channels with time correction on all six of them. You also have 5-band parametric equalizer, 7-band graphics EQ, and I believe the ability to run Alpine's optional imprint processor. No other unit within your budget comes close to having ALL of these features.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts