DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up an audio system in my boat. Ended up going with a JVC KD-A925BT which thus far seems pretty fantastic for $160. I'm using this with a Polk Audio D5000.5 amp.

Much like every other HU that I've ever dealt with it has a "Loud" setting but this one has 3 levels of "Loud". The manual is pretty vague on what this actually does though. It says "Boost low and high frequencies to produce a well-ballanced sound at low volume level". A google search didn't really yield anything meaningful. Obviously this makes it louder at a given volume level but what's to be gained by using "Loud" rather than just a bit more on the volume knob? This sounds a bit like the scene from Spinal Tap where the dude talks about how their amps can go to "11" instead of the traditional 10. "It's one louder", Ha! If there is benefit to using the "Loud" setting should I have this enabled when setting the gain on my amp?

My boat didn't have a dimmer wire on the factory HU. The JVC does. The install manual does not state whether this should be grounded or fed + voltage in order to dim. I could potentially connect this to my navigation light switch to dim it at night but wanted to make sure +12v would typically be appropriate.

I've been reading up a lot on setting up the gains. In the past I had been much less scientific about setting these. First I listened to some example tracks on the computer of unclipped and clipped 1 kHz. With the amp gain all the way down I played a 1 kHz test tone and was able to crank the volume all the way up without any clipping. I then raised the gain until I heard clipping and backed off a bit. Does this mean I can assume that with a 0 db recording my HU's preamps are capable of generating unclipped output at full volume? Or can this vary based on frequency?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
403 Posts
The dimmer gets fed +12 volts when the lights are on.
On a boat I would not hook it up as the glare from the HU is not really much of a problem vs in a car at night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dimmer gets fed +12 volts when the lights are on.
On a boat I would not hook it up as the glare from the HU is not really much of a problem vs in a car at night.
I wasn't interested in doing it for the glare factor but rather to prevent it from messing with my night vision given the lack of "headlights". If I glance down at a bright radio then look up it takes a few seconds for my eyes to readjust. I've already set the variable LED on the HU to red but if it's just a matter of running a 1 ft wire to the nav light switch I'd like to have it dim automatically.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I wasn't interested in doing it for the glare factor but rather to prevent it from messing with my night vision given the lack of "headlights". If I glance down at a bright radio then look up it takes a few seconds for my eyes to readjust. I've already set the variable LED on the HU to red but if it's just a matter of running a 1 ft wire to the nav light switch I'd like to have it dim automatically.
Well then connect it to your +12 on the Nav lights, it will dim the radio whenever your lights are on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts