DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the P800 and the p880 head-units for my car. I just can't find an real differences between them (except the copper chassis).

Use: I have an MS-8 to do all my tweaking and just need a HU that can provide better quality then my Kenwood x994.

I need a head-unit that looks modern and clean, not these old funky plastic looking ones.

Also what would be the going price of these units?

Thanks!

·
Banned
342 Posts
What about alpine cda 9887?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks horrible and not clean at all.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not even the same league. This is pure SQ head-units I'm dealing with.

So far it seems the p800 is the newer better model. Just need something modern in the 500 or so range. It's like the range goes from 300 for new head-units and SQ is about 300-400 but are old. The only new one goes for over 1k and that is P99. I want a new (as in a 2010 or something model) that is a SQ unit.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use USB and hardrive only.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As above stated, MS-8 will be useless and that is ALLOT of money. Should I stick with my HU then?

·
Registered
146 Posts
i have a 880prs up for sale on the classifieds if your looking for one! great sq unit just have way to much audio right now.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I did get the 800, would I get improved audio for my USB? Would it be a negligible difference?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
"That being said, there might be some cheap head unit out there that converts the digital audio once it enters the head unit into a analog signal to then be treated like any other analog source in that unit. Source selecting in the analog domain and then doing an A to D back to digital to go to the DSP. That would result in the same D>A A>D that everyone wants to avoid, only difference being that it would be done further down the audio chain by the head unit entirely. Never heard of that being the case,but it is possible since it would be a cheaper alternative to digital all the way.

This is how the older external USB audio boxes worked before USB became integrated into the head unit. Again for the same reason as above but the opposite, the AiNet cable or other bus cables could not transmit digital audio. So they had to convert to analog before going into the head unit.

The P99 obviously doesn't do any of this or it would be clearly seen as a different result in the graphs."

Found my answer and that means my headunit that bypasses the DAC of the Ipod will sound better then them >_<. All I needed to know lol

"It's not false advertising, it does "bypass the DAC", BUT it then takes that digital stream and reconverts it to analog and then uses an analog source selector in the head unit to pick which analog stream goes to an A to D converter in order for the signal to be processed in the DSP.

Same thing as an line out from from the dock connector into and AUX input, except the extra D to A A to D has been moved further down the chain.

Misleading advertising to audiophiles at worse, since the masses have been brainwashed to think that the problem with this is the idevice DAC itself and not the extra A to D D to A, that we preferably try to avoid.

Disclaimer: None of my comments have anything to do with how things will sound, just about what we expect and what we want for whatever reason."

Now I'm just lost. Does anything really BYPASS all this D/A conversion garbage? Does moving the D/A farther down the chain better?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts