DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2006 C6 Corvette. Need to get rid of the Bose system. I have a Pioneer MVH-2400NEX in my truck, and it pretty much does what I need, except I want front camera capability in the new unit.
I'm gonna be running RCA out to a Dayton audio DSP. Due to size limitations, I think in gonna get the Rockford Fosgate T750X1bd Power 750 for the sub, and the T400X4ad for a set of Hertz MPK 165.3 pro for up front. I'm not going to use the rear speakers or locations as I just dont think it is needed.

I need a head unit that has front and read cameras, obviously car play/ android auto. I do not need to connect wirelessly for car play/android auto. I listen to Pandora and Youtube music 90% of the time and I can also listen to XM Radio, so it needs to support that through the phone also. I traditionally start up Android Auto for everything.

Since that is pretty much what I need, what could possibly be in these units im seeing for 1k and up that you could convince I need?

So Im open to suggestions on anew head unit. Im partial to Alpine and Pioneer as they have never let me down.

Thanks in advance. Oh, remote control is cool, but I've found I dont use it much.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

· Registered
105 Posts
The head unit that I'm using for my Scion tC build is a double-DIN 7" Joying unit: Newest Joying 7 Inch Double Din Car Stereo Apple CarPlay Radio Android 10

I picked this one because it seems to be reasonably well recommended here and elsewhere on the internet; and being essentially an Android tablet with a few extras (FM radio, NTSC/PAL video input for the cameras, etc) I can write an app for it to control my custom additions (it has a couple of USB ports that I'll connect to an Arduino).

Your C6 seems to be compatible with double-din receivers, and this seems to be the install kit for it:

Just based on photos online, I think you could squeeze an 8" head unit in there without interfering too much with the HVAC vents & controls:

I'd be concerned that a 9" is going to be too large to fit without covering the vents.

Um... wow. That video switch is a LOT of $$$ for what it is... Crutchfield has the universal one for about $90, and google is showing the GM specific version for over five hundred bucks! 😲

For general information; there's this article on how to build one from scratch:

FWIW, I'm currently in the process of cooking up a custom PCB to integrate some functions in my tC install; and just such a video switch is one of those functions. I ordered some configurable cameras that hopefully will match my car's paint job, and am intending to mount some industrial proximity switches near the steering rack, and have an Arduino switch between the front camera, one mounted on the left nose, and one on the right nose depending on the steering angle and selected transmission mode (drive vs reverse). The left and right nose mounted cameras will be looking back at the tires, so that as I'm parking in a tight spot (or backing out of said tight spot) I can be sure that I'm not gonna scrape my rims on a curb. It'll also help with making sure that nobody short (be they two-legged or four) from either of my neighbors has snuck up on me.

Because this tC came pre-tinted (I got it used) on the hatchback and rear windows (and it's really dark tint) I also ordered one of those rear-view mirrors with the LCD built into it; and I'll be running a camera from the rear bumper to that LCD so that it's on full-time.

The cameras in question:

Supposedly, they're up at the local post office, so I'm hoping to see them tomorrow.

🤔

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The head unit that I'm using for my Scion tC build is a double-DIN 7" Joying unit: Newest Joying 7 Inch Double Din Car Stereo Apple CarPlay Radio Android 10

🤔
What are you referring to in regards to video switch? Assuming it is for frnt or rear camera? I need to read up on these Joying units.

They look great on paper and price for what they provide. I got rid of damn nearly all my CDs a while back. I listen exclusively through my phone now(Unless in my movie room). So as long as I can play youtube music Im pretty much good. I have XM radio tuner in my truck, but honestly dont need it as i can use the app on my phone.

Thanks for the suggestion. I got some reading to do on reviews of these from forum members. How long have you been using these? ANY issues or concerns since you've had it?

· Registered
105 Posts
How long have you been using these? ANY issues or concerns since you've had it?
It's still in the box... I don't have any personal experience with it installed yet. My tC build is something I'm working on right now - as soon as Parts Express gets a package to me containing my mids and cables (UPS says tomorrow, so perhaps this weekend it'll go in?) I'll have more experiences to report.

My decision to go with this one was based on reading other positive reviews here and elsewhere around the internet; from people who have had them for a while.

· Registered
314 Posts
Everything you just described is in the kenwood dmx line.
-6.9 hd screen
-4 camera inputs
-android, CarPlay, wired/wireless
-5 volt preouts
so when it’s full screen camera mode there’s a “soft key” /icon/switch for whatever camera you want to switch to from the one you’re currently on. And I’m pretty sure you can split screen because some people get side cameras mounted on their mirrors facing the blind spot. but I haven’t tried that

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But $1200-1400
uhmm, yea, that pretty much eliminates that unit. I just bought two new Rockford amps for about 900 bucks. I need to keep the head unit price down. Wife is going to be a little surprised to see all this stuff going into the Vette.... but I have an out. We had a little work done to my daughters Honda. Brakes needed to be done, i told the shop NO, Ill do the brakes this weekend. I repeated it 2 times, do not do the brakes. My wife, after that conversation, tells them to go ahead and do the brakes, basically flushing 230 bucks down the toilet. So I figured if she could flush money down the toilet like that, so can I, so I bought the amps.

Thats gonna be my story when she questions these purchases...... bahahahahhahahahhaahahhahaha

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I picked this one because it seems to be reasonably well recommended here and elsewhere on the internet; and being essentially an Android tablet with a few extras (FM radio, NTSC/PAL video input for the cameras, etc) I can write an app for it to control my custom additions (it has a couple of USB ports that I'll connect to an Arduino).

Your C6 seems to be compatible with double-din receivers, and this seems to be the install kit for it:

Just based on photos online, I think you could squeeze an 8" head unit in there without interfering too much with the HVAC vents & controls:

🤔
There is not much to not like about the unit as advertised. It pretty much checks every box except a front camera input on the back of the unit. Price is very good as well. This is on my short list of possibilities.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

🤔
Ok, I went ahead and got one of these Joying units. Now I just want a little clarification on the wiring harness. I do not have steering wheel controls. i will not be using the factory bose amp, so there is no need for this, Correct?
PAC RP5

It would seem, Ill need this, Correct?
CRUX

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I want to have all of this stuff ready to go, and getting the wrong wiring harness would be a bummer.

· Registered
105 Posts
If you want those "safety" chimes, yes. Personally, I find them annoying, but, well - it's your car. 😉

Otherwise, you can just get the regular wiring harness with no module. I think the only things you'll loose with that are the audible reminders that your headlights are on, a door is ajar, and that your seatbelt isn't fastened.

You'll also need the double-din dash install kit; and if you care about AM/FM at all I think you'll need an antenna adapter (personally, I'd keep it working just incase of a local emergency).

If you still want two video inputs, you'll need a video switch. However, what you could do - at least in principle - is try hooking up the two video camera's signal wires to a mini 12v relay, with the coil connected to the reverse switch; or even just a switch. Yes, video quality would suffer somewhat - but composite video is fairly robust; and what you're looking at isn't exactly a 4K ultra-high-def experience in the first place, so.... ?

metraonline.com indicates that these would be suitable for a 2006 Corvette:

Harness with no chime module: Metra Electronics | AX-ADXSVI 00-13 GM Harness

Dash kit: Metra Electronics | GM Multi-Kit 2005-2013

Antenna adapters: Metra Electronics | General Motors Antenna Adapter 1988-2008

Obviously, you'll also need all the other usual tools & supplies - crimp connectors & a ratcheting crimp tool (or if you're already good at it, a soldering setup), the RCA cables & power wiring for the outboard gear, screwdrivers, panel pry tools, drill kit, etc. I'd also suggest getting a roll of cloth harness tape and some thin foam to wrap around the harnesses and modules to keep them from rattling behind the dash.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you want those "safety" chimes, yes. Personally, I find them annoying, but, well - it's your car. 😉

Otherwise, you can just get the regular wiring harness with no module. I think the only things you'll loose with that are the audible reminders that your headlights are on, a door is ajar, and that your seatbelt isn't fastened.

You'll also need the double-din dash install kit; and if you care about AM/FM at all I think you'll need an antenna adapter (personally, I'd keep it working just incase of a local emergency).
According to the info on the product, the Crux retains all the warning chimes. I never listen to am/fm, but I will be keeping the functionality. Ive ordered everything I need except the am/fm adapter.

Thanks for the info.

· Listener of Music
5,318 Posts
You can run two cameras on the Joying units. You just use the video input as the front camera with a trigger. There's write ups on the XDA forums.

· Registered
105 Posts
I've tried that and every permutation of it that I could think of... perhaps the site is customizing the search results for you, and not showing it to me???

It's not a big deal for me - I'm implementing the video switching differently, as I have three cameras that will be switched between depending on the steering angle and transmission mode (drive/reverse) and am using a custom PCB with an Arduino on it... but it might be nice to turn that up for the original poster of this thread...

🤔

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've tried that and every permutation of it that I could think of... perhaps the site is customizing the search results for you, and not showing it to me???

.. but it might be nice to turn that up for the original poster of this thread...

🤔
Yes it would be nice to see that link. Thank you for the help. Ive installed systems in my car starting all the way back in 1986...... knowing absolutely nothing. BUt once I have the system in, I dont pay much attention to the technology. Then I return to do something new and its like pow.... Im living in a different century with how far the tech has advanced and all the options available to us. I fond myself playing catch up for a month.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.