DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my current head unit is an Eclipse 8051. Great unit, but doesn't have the flexibility of many newer units. I saw 'dang mention that there are head units out there in the $200-$300 price range that will give you an EQ, crossover, and time alignment. What are your guy's picks for best head unit under $500.00, and why.

It has to be a unit with crossover, EQ and time alignment for me to think it worthwhile to dump my 8051. NO PIONEER!! Every Pioneer I've heard has had an elevated noise level. So, I just don't like them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you can spend a little more Hybridamp on ECA is selling his DRZ9255 for about 650.

Other than that, IMO it's the DEHP860MP

I know, I'm no help :p I don't like Apine, or Eclipse too much either.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Eclipse has some HU with the features you like... they are excellent choices provided you get one that is in good shape... I have not been so fortunate, nor some of my peers.

I like DEHP860MP, but hate the menu system...

The Alpine 9855 issue are rumored to have been fixed in their latest batches, but the Ghey Touch bar is still... well... Ghey!

The DRZ is the Cadillac of them all IMO...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the DRZ is obviously the first choice, however, I kind of like my wife, and would like to keep her around. Buying a DRZ would severely jeapordize that.

I have played around with the new Alpine touch bar is not best idea I've ever seen. I can see myself plowing into a telephone pole trying to adjust that thing on the fly.

What's the real difference between the 8445 and 8455 from Eclipse, other than 7 band vs 10 band parametric. How much crossover flexibility is there? I plan on running a complete 3 way system plus subwoofer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Do more chores around the house, save your allowance till you can get a DRZ :D

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
id say Alpine 9835

(needs the h701 to compete with the eclipse processing power)--better user interface though IMO)

then Eclipse 8455
(only because it has much better processing control, EQ, TA etc etc than the Alpine, and the 8v preotus are nice IMO--some dont like the sound though)

and if it played mp3 (some dont care) the drz9255 is the best of em all

I too would get that one for 675 off eca QUICK

youd never lose money on that one if you had to sell it

·
Registered
75 Posts
why not a Alpine 9860?
It has the same features as the 9853, but it also plays DVD and has digital output.
Use it with a 701 box from Alpine (You can buy the 701 when the cash flow is better :)) and a screen and You have a killer combo...

Good luck.

Best Wishes
Rutger

Ps! there are one thing that annoy me A LOT with the DRZ 9255, the eq only goes down to 50 hertz!!! And there are only 5 bands of EQ...other than that I´m fairly happy with it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
i use the cd8455 and i love it, the knobs are a bit touchy as far as if you barely touch them the volume changes or the track changes but other than that i love it...the alpines are great to but id prefer the 9835 over the 9855 and as stated if you want the best get the clarion drz...

·
Registered
58 Posts
hybrid took his drz off ebay, but he put up an 9855 *with* 3 yr worst buy warranty

·
Registered
329 Posts
The top Alpine units are the same as the DRZ as far as having a 5 band PEQ.

I suppose it's a matter of price difference versus SQ gain, and wether you want 6ch or 8ch options.

I almost bought a DRZ, but just couldn't justify the price at the time. I tried an 8053, but it won't handle a direct line in from the iPod dock connector line out. Besides CDs, I wanted the iPod as an option for long drives, so that was out. Not sure if the newer Eclipse models are the same. I talked with Eclipse about this, so they should have an answer regarding the newer models if that's an issue for you.

After talking with an Alpine tech, the 9813, 9815, 9833, 9835, and 9855 are nearly identical inside. Not sure of the 9855, but the 9835 has an external DC-DC. All have 6 regulated 1-bit DACs, time alignment, etc. This is covered in another post. The differences are faceplate, display, and controls. I found a great condition 9815 (2003 model) for $200. The 9835 (2004 model) should be around $350 or so.

This Alpine 9835 seems to be in like new condition:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-CDA-9835...ryZ48612QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
racerraul said:
I like DEHP860MP, but hate the menu system...
Any specific reason?

I picked up an 8600 for my girlfriend and navigating menus and adjusting settings is a massive improvement over my Alpine 9831. Just push and turn the right dial on everything, with a nicely indicated display.

The Alpine you have to push way too many random buttons and shift through way too many settings to adjust something simple. Also, holding down menu for 3 seconds to even access the EQ/Xover features, and to cycle through menus is incredibly annoying. Love the sound and reliability of my Alpine, hate the menu/settings.

-aaron

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
DRZ9255 hands down. Save the extra funds man and buy. If you have a head now make it work for now and save, save, and save.

Or just tell your wife like I do mine. I just say if I buy this one I will not have to change it for a long long time, its the best on the market and will be for a few years its that far ahead of the other i've considered and it sells for this much, but I can get this one for a lot cheaper, this guy is hooking me up with a very good price so its a great buy. And about 75-80% of the truth. :p

·
Registered
578 Posts
ArcL100 said:
Any specific reason?

I picked up an 8600 for my girlfriend and navigating menus and adjusting settings is a massive improvement over my Alpine 9831. Just push and turn the right dial on everything, with a nicely indicated display.

The Alpine you have to push way too many random buttons and shift through way too many settings to adjust something simple. Also, holding down menu for 3 seconds to even access the EQ/Xover features, and to cycle through menus is incredibly annoying. Love the sound and reliability of my Alpine, hate the menu/settings.

-aaron
I have the 9835... With the remote I press the Proc button and IMMEDIATELY get to TA, press again EQ, press again xOver... I find this much easier than Pioneers...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a Kenwood XXV 01D and I'm very happy with the sound quality. It's a very clean, transparent head unit. It's got more bells and whistles than I could ever care about, and the ergonomics are hands down the worst I've ever used, but it sounds good.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Processing power difference Alpine vs Eclipse

It has been mentioned that the Alpine 9855 has less processing power than the Eclipse 8455. I have been able to find manuals for the 9855 as well as the Alpine ha-701, so I have a good understanding of what they can do but I have not been able to find any exact details on what the Eclipse deck can do.

For a 2-way front only system that might have subs in the future, does the eclipse have enough tuning options compared to a 9855-h701 combo?

·
Registered
578 Posts
For a 2way front & subs later.... even the 9855 alone has enough options for tuning. Althought I would strongly recommend a 9835 instead... or even a 9813, 9815, 9833 over the 9855...

I'd even take the Pioneer 860mp over the 9855...

·
Registered
433 Posts
The main reason I was considering Alpine is the option of adding a 701 later. I really dislike the look and function of the glide touch. I wish the Eclipse decks wern't so hiddeous.

I love the stock look of my current Nak deck, but it has no processing, looses memory when it gets cold and is very finiky with a large number of CDs so I figured I would repalce it with a deck with some eq/x-over/time alignment capability.

Do the Eclipse decks allow for a line in? Does anyone have any links to details on the abilites of the Eclipses?

·
Registered
22 Posts
to the thread starter..... why not stay with your current HU... add a PXA-H701 + RUX to the HU...and u have a pure deck + the processing capabilities

·
Registered
433 Posts
calvinhpk said:
to the thread starter..... why not stay with your current HU... add a PXA-H701 + RUX to the HU...and u have a pure deck + the processing capabilities
According to the 701 manual, when a non ai-net deck is used the RUX must be used to control system volume. Not necessarly a deal breaker for the original poster but it is for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts