DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's a good sound damper to use between the headliner and the roof? it's making all kinds of rattling with the bass at moderate volume. when you push up on it, it goes away some. the vehicle is a extended cab s-10.the truck is black and the roof gets hot in the Florida sun so i need something that won't come loose with all the heat.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Don from Sound Deadener Showdown recommended 3M Thinsulate and regular old CLD tiles for my headliner. The Thinsulate weights almost nothing compared to MLV, but I can't comment on it's effectiveness as I'm not that far along in my install yet.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I can't remember in an S10, what type of material is the headliner? (plastic, cloth with a cardboard-like backing, etc). But basically what you want is

CLD on the roof to stop the metal from vibrating
Foam of some sort (like Ensolite from Raamaudio) to put between the headliner and the roof so they can't really smack each other and make noise

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think it's a type of cardboard .i don't have it out yet as i need to get the right product before i tear into it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
A foam between the headliner and roof will probably stop the rattle but I would also apply a layer of Dynamat Xtreme or Roadkill Expert or whatever butyl deadener you want at the same time. I have been really happy with the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts