DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some Grado sr80's.

Man, these things suck - at least off my pc sound card. My Technics that stopped working were much better. Tin-y as hell. And, they definately need a headphone amp - full blast is just a lot of signal noise and moderately loud volume.

So, I guess I'm asking, is this going to get any better, or did I just waste $100 instead of trying to fix my Technics?

EDIT: I'll run them off the home setup tomorrw (it's late), hopefully they sound good in there after a nights work of pink noise from my pc.

The impedance is probably just too high for my pc card.

-aaron

·
Registered
52 Posts
IME SR-80s really suck without a good amp. In other words they are a headphone that benefit a lot from being amped.

I have HF-1s/SR-225s, and when I first got them, I was very underwhelmed. I put some Massive Attack on, put them under a pillow and went to a class. When I got back, eargasm. IME there is such a thing as break-in.

Grados are bright headphones though.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After 24 hrs of looped white noise, reversed ear cushions, and considerable winamp eq-ing, they're sounding significantly better. The bass on these is awesome. :D

Stil too much dead noise. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford parts to make a decent amp fer 'em.

-aaron

·
Registered
655 Posts
last time i listened to my grados the police stopped me. from then on no more headphones while driving. my speaker setup now sounds much better anyway.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Aaron - on a side note. I went from headphone using on AKG Studio K271's through my built in sound card (Fujitsu laptop that even has optical in and out) to using a $100 Soundblaster Audigy EX USB soundcard and the difference in the headphone outputs was incredible. I knew that the sound would improve but the noise floor disappeared, clarity was improved by leaps and bounds and truly went from lo-fi to hi-fi. SQ With a set of Sony MDR-V600's has also jumped through the roof.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
ArcL100 said:
I just got some Grado sr80's.

Man, these things suck - at least off my pc sound card. My Technics that stopped working were much better. Tin-y as hell. And, they definately need a headphone amp - full blast is just a lot of signal noise and moderately loud volume.
Congratulations! It appears that you have good ears. :)

And hopefully a return option. Grados are annoying at best, and rarely that good. That said, one thing they are not is a difficult load, so don't expect an amp to improve things much. If at all.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would have to disagree.

I bought these headphones for my brother and they sound very clear no noise at all. nice midrange and treble. the bass was the impressive part, for such a light headphone they sure do put out some silky smooth and deep bass.

I guess everyone sees things differently. but i would have to say I cant use them on my computer because no matter where the volume is set there is tremendous noise in the background but i think thats due to the computers card not the headphones.

and I dont think using an amp would help at all unless it was a really nice amp but even then I cant see the sound improving all that much.

·
Registered
655 Posts
the grados get less tinny as they break in. play high volume 20hz since waves for several hours, which should break them in.

however, even after breakin, grados "suck" IMHO compared to old grados (like HP and PS series) and the other brands like AKG.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I first setup my computer my onboard sound card (nice one with optical and all the goodies) was noisy as all hell. Replaceing the crappy $10 P/S with a quality one and installing a nice ups made all the difference. Nice and quiet now... Power on a military base is noisy and unreliable. I loose power about once a week it seems...

as for headphones, anyone have a recomendation for a good economical on the go set?

·
Registered
2 Posts
koss ksc-35, ksc-75 and portapros are nice inexpensive headphones.

i agree with the others who said grados suck. i wased money on 2 sets of grados. i couldn't listen to them for more than about 10 minutes before i would have a splitting headache and my ears would hurt for hours. i have a set of akg k240's that i have had for a while now. they seem to ge a good headphone for people who hate grados. i really like my akg's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts