DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently installed (3 months ago) a basic system in my 2010 Honda civic (Australian model) which compromises of a mixture of new and old equipment. My system compromises of stock HU, Jl audio C2 600 splits up front, audio control lc2i converter, stock rear speakers, 4ch Kicker amp (Zx350.4) and kicker comp sub. I have also added in dynamat to the trunk, rear parcel shelf and to the outside skin of all the doors. The amp and sub are around the 5 year old age mark and have carried them forward from a previous install. I plan to upgrade (around Christmas) the amp and sub to an Alpine PDX v9 (5ch) and a jl w3.

I have the jl midrange drivers located into the factory door locations and I have positioned the tweeters off axis at the base of the a pillar.

The system has improved significantly from stock but there are some staging issues, the right tweeter is slightly more prominent than left (in drivers seat) and the sound doesn't seem to emanate from the centre of the dash board, rather its noticeable the sound originates from the left and right sides of the vehicle (if this makes sense :p).

I am now looking at my next upgrade (before replacing the sub and amp) to try and correct some of the above issues and i was wondering what would be a better move. Would it make more sense to install an aftermarket DSP processor (like the JBL MS-8) or replace my factory headunit with an aftermarket one (like the pioneer AXHX5550BT)?

Any help is much appreciated! Cheers :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 100% sure it isn't premium audio, there is no factory amps connected and the car never came with tweeters installed (bought the car new)! It just had 4 full range speakers, 2 upfront in the doors and 2 in the back shelf

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
alright! I'm not sure what the outputs of those look like as far as clipping and response is concerned!

I myself would go the aftermarket headunit/ external processor route as I haven't found an all in one that I can live with- the 99rs comes close but imo lacks in the integration part of it.

personally I'm digging the h800/ 149bt combo for daily driver status.... It connects well to my phone and has a decent amount of processing on tap.

the prs80 is a decent tuning solution but imo sucks for integration- we have that in the girlfriends daily and I hate plugging my phone into it...

what features would you want in a headunit?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have recently installed (3 months ago) a basic system in my 2010 Honda civic (Australian model) which compromises of a mixture of new and old equipment. My system compromises of stock HU, Jl audio C2 600 splits up front, audio control lc2i converter, stock rear speakers, 4ch Kicker amp (Zx350.4) and kicker comp sub. I have also added in dynamat to the trunk, rear parcel shelf and to the outside skin of all the doors. The amp and sub are around the 5 year old age mark and have carried them forward from a previous install. I plan to upgrade (around Christmas) the amp and sub to an Alpine PDX v9 (5ch) and a jl w3.

I have the jl midrange drivers located into the factory door locations and I have positioned the tweeters off axis at the base of the a pillar.

The system has improved significantly from stock but there are some staging issues, the right tweeter is slightly more prominent than left (in drivers seat) and the sound doesn't seem to emanate from the centre of the dash board, rather its noticeable the sound originates from the left and right sides of the vehicle (if this makes sense :p).

I am now looking at my next upgrade (before replacing the sub and amp) to try and correct some of the above issues and i was wondering what would be a better move. Would it make more sense to install an aftermarket DSP processor (like the JBL MS-8) or replace my factory headunit with an aftermarket one (like the pioneer AXHX5550BT)?

Any help is much appreciated! Cheers :)
I would almost always tell people to get a processor. Preamp close to amplifiers = win. In addition to a ton of tuning tools.

It is a wonderful addition to any system. If you want to change the source unit later, it is easy to do a swap.

It would be a tough call between an ms-8 and something like the 80prs, if you only need 6 active channels. I would still say get the processor 1st though, especially if the stock HU does everything you need it to do. Plus I don't especially care for pioneer.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
alright! I'm not sure what the outputs of those look like as far as clipping and response is concerned!

I myself would go the aftermarket headunit/ external processor route as I haven't found an all in one that I can live with- the 99rs comes close but imo lacks in the integration part of it.

personally I'm digging the h800/ 149bt combo for daily driver status.... It connects well to my phone and has a decent amount of processing on tap.

the prs80 is a decent tuning solution but imo sucks for integration- we have that in the girlfriends daily and I hate plugging my phone into it...

what features would you want in a headunit?
The H800 >>> ms-8
Definitely get the h800 if you can swing it

For a hu
-6 active channels (8 would be great but your going to spend at least 600$ for that in a used drz9255 or over a grand with a bnib p99rs)
-output control for each channel (volume)
-left right independent eq (12 bands at least)
-Relatively flexible crossover points (with slope control)
-Autotune is a plus

The 80prs has a good autotune and has all of these features more or less

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys thanks for all your input! Due to budget constraints at the moment, i would probably be looking at adding a processor before changing out the stock hu. I've looked around at the prices for the Alpine H800 and unfortunately it is a bit out of my price range here in Australia (retails at $899 AUD).

What are your thoughts regarding the Audison bit ten? Currently there's a really good deal at a local car audio shop and selling them for only $339 AUD. Is there a runout on this model?

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts