DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at upgrading my headunit and I've had my eye on the p99rs because of all of it's features, but after looking into it I could get another processor that does as much/more for less money? I'm trying to figure out what would be the better option and why. Also if I were to run the separate processor would I need to have a really good HU? If so that would get the price of both options much closer. Thanks in advance for any help with this

·
Banned
388 Posts
problem with getting all the processor functions in the HU is you are basically stuck with it's capabilities and limitations. The biggest benefit is you do not need another box in the signal chain.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you use a separate processor can you use just about any headunit and still get about the same sound?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Case by case I would say... There's no right or wrong on what will be the best... Your money will come first on this....
The "best" combo I think is still the Pioneer's ODR or Alpine's F#1....
Anyway, getting something that most of us can get now, Audison's Bit1, JBL's MS-8, the old Alpine PXA-H701, the latest H800 are some of the HU + processor setups which can give you quite some options on tuning.... If you are looking for 4-way setup...
But HU all-in-1, DEX-P99 will be good that can play most of the modern compressed medias...
Other than that, DEX-P9 combo which I'm using also can do the trick, but need to add a CD-UB100 or IB100 for compressed medias, so do Clarion's DRZ-9255.... As for the price for them, I guess you will only get used and rarely to get NIB..... A DEX-P9 combo cost total of $800 + the UB100 about $100 while a new DEX-P99 cost ~$1000. For simplicities sake, DEX-P99 will be better.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Depends on what your goals are.

If you want the best 1din unit with great processing then the p-99 is the unit for you. It will let you dial in sound at an exceptional level. It's better than the Clarion DRZ and the p-9, it's the best ever 1din unit cause it has more processing than the other two.

If you're after the best sound possible then a $300 hu with a full manual processor, h-700/701/800, bit one, the new helix units etc will be the best.

It's also worth noting that less than 2% of the users either ways will be fussed enough to get the most out of the setup and under 10% of those who are, will get anywhere close to max potential of the setup.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Depends on what your goals are.

If you want the best 1din unit with great processing then the p-99 is the unit for you. It will let you dial in sound at an exceptional level. It's better than the Clarion DRZ and the p-9, it's the best ever 1din unit cause it has more processing than anything else before it.

If you're after the best sound possible then a $300 hu with a full manual processor, h-700/701/800, bit one, the new helix units etc will be the best.

It's also worth noting that less than 2% of the users either ways will be fussed enough to get the most out of the setup and under 10% of those who are, will get anywhere close to max potential of the setup.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Also think about this. If you can get digital out of your headunit. Then run it to a quality processor then the head unit has little effect as its only reading digital bits from the cd and sending it to the processor digitally.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could anyone name some head units with digital out? What kind of prices?

·
Registered
451 Posts
some of the alpines have digital out via an optical cable, need special adapters.

some of the older pioneer units have it. pioneer stopped doing digital out on their newer decks. i lot of the older avic units have it via a 1/8" coax digi connection on the back. i have an avic F90BT. i love the unit, its got pretty much everything i could ever need. paid like $325 for it on ebay slightly used. you can take the 1/8" coax digital (1/8" mono headphone jack) then get that to RCA then run a rg59 or rg6, its basically a mono RCA with a solid core 75ohm which is better for digital signal. im sure any single rca would work, it just not optimal for digital audio. i run that directly into my bitone sound processor. you then use the processors volume control, and you can not clip the input signal because all the headunit does is send the signal straight what it reads off the cd no processing. only problem is it only works with stuff read from a CD / DVD, but this will include MP3s and WMA files. will not work with memory sticks or SD cards or sat. radio or FM radio.

I ran normal RCAs also and use it the normal way a lot of the time, but when i have it on CD / DVD and not using my digital media or sat radio, i usually switch it to digital cause it does make for a much cleaner signal, its deffently audiable.

i did a lot of research as to which decks actually have the digital output, because is pretty hard to find out sometimes, its not really a big selling feature because 99% dont even use it, and a bunch of people even on here probably didnt know a lot of the avics had digital coax output. you can usually call the manufacture or read through the manual, also sometimes crutchfields hands on research will say if it has a digital output.

like i said before, some of the alpine units have the optical digital output which requires more money spent on cables and special adapters, i cannot confirm if this will work with a bitone as it was made to talk with the alpine processor. i can confirm that the pioneer's digital coax works great and perfectly with a bitone. and all you need is a $5 adapter and a $10 cable, if that.

also where in SC are you?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I know very little about the P99 or it's older brother the 880, so I ask this.... Is it a true single din or does it have a hide away box?

I know it's not just a single din, but it has a "put else where" processor, and is quit literally one of the most advanced HU's even by todays standards, but the Clarion ADCS-1. The only down side, and the biggest reasons I don't use mine, is...
1) The lack of an Aux in and
2) The processor is just to [email protected] big for the space I have.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
The p99 is a true single din, no external module for it's processing.... All on board. The only external 'boxes' would be for bt, sat radio, etc. Although nothing external required for ipod integration, and one of The best user interfaces out there for that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts