DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'v been trying to find the answer to this question and haven't come up with much but i was wondering how much does a external dsp like bit.1,ms8,zapco dsp6 help with sound quality if you already have a deck regarded as a SQ deck does it take the already good signal and refine it even more to make it sound better? does it just take the signal in and out and not change it in anyway basicly just giving you more features t/a, cross overs ect?

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Well the less components in the signal chain there are, the better it is. If you don't have T/A, active crossovers, EQ and so on in the headunit, these functions will help improving tonality, staging and so on. I'm fairly sure that the output signal from the DSP will not be "better" than the source input, other than the added processing abilities.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i thought i was wondering cause i'm looking at a cd7200mk a nice sq deck that has the features i want and then adding a dsp of sorts later to go 4way and was curious the affects on already good sq

·
Registered
696 Posts
Was wandering the same thing? So going with an ms8 the only gain is auto tuning and the ability to integrate more drivers to an active setup. And also having a 31 band eq

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
The level of dsp you would get from a processor like bit1/bit10 etc is much greater than any stand alone 1-din unit. That includes the p-99. The hu would only be the source, all tweaking would be done at the processor.

Whats also true is that unless you're comfortable with tuning, or are willing to spend a considerable time learning and then dialing it in, you may be better off with a 1 din unit with decent dsp or then going with something like the ms-8.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
What does a Bit-One or Bit-ten do that P99 does not?

·
18,686 Posts
The bottom line is the you're most limiting hardware is the most limiting factor.* The only way around this is if you're bypassing the DAC's in that limiting piece and passing it on to a superior DAC like you would in the case of an optical output to a DAC.

An example:
Headunit rated for 90dB THD.
DSP rated for 100dB THD.
If you're running analog out of your headunit to the DSP, the best THD you can achieve is limited by the headunit's rating because it's lower.
If you use an optical output from the headunit to the DSP, you've bypassed the headunit's DAC and are then limited by the DSP's DAC.

To me, this is a legitimate reason to try to attain a high spec'd product. Unfortunately, sometimes the ratings are hard to trust or just not easily comparable. But, then again, at some point, just how much is audible. These things are addivitive. Go here:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-thd.htm

At the bottom you can add up THD values and see that, for example, 90dB + 100dB = 100.14dB. 100dB + 100dB = 103dB.

*assuming all these specs are apples to apples

·
18,686 Posts
What does a Bit-One or Bit-ten do that P99 does not?
31 band graphic per channel.
dynamic eq (which hardly anyone understands, much less actually uses)
0.02dB increments in gain adjustments as opposed to 0.5dB adjustments on the p99

Otherwise, that's about it as far as DSP goes.

I like the p99 more.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
back to the old saying "weakest link in the chain" you cant make something sound better than what was put in, lol.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Get your speaker PLD right and install and DSP isnt completely necessary. Nice pure SQ source and an analogue processor for crossover and EQ. Done.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
31 band graphic per channel.
dynamic eq (which hardly anyone understands, much less actually uses)
0.02dB increments in gain adjustments as opposed to 0.5dB adjustments on the p99

Otherwise, that's about it as far as DSP goes.

I like the p99 more.
Thanks

I looked at Crutchfield and it says the 31 band EQ is independent.

"The 31-band equalizer offers independent control over the right and left channels for unparalleled shaping of the acoustic output."

As usual it is best to ask someone who has owned one to let you know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
get the install correct before thinking about adding extra features for tuning
adding a dsp is no substitute for bad installation
when you have done that , look at what fetures you will likely need

ms8 and bit one are popular over in states and u.k but im not keen on either of them
for me the one to look for is the altomobile ucs pro

·
Registered
696 Posts
The tremendous noise issues and lack of support with that unit is what I think turned people off from that unit. Idk the ms8 caters to the DIY that isn't quite at the level of tuning as the more experienced such as myself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
some of the 1st series ucs pro units did suffer with noise issues but this was usually down to installation not the unit itself
i have both a mk1 and mk2 and neither suffer with noise

this unit is far more capable than the audison who again have had several issues with noise and the ms8 which is a good unit doesnt have enough features on it to make it top class

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I started to post about this last night.
My question was with my DRZ9255 doing 4way active (KRX3 front stage, 12W6 sub, all up front) and letting the head unit do everything, as in bypassing the amps crossovers what gain would I get from something like an MS-8?

With no rear fill and no center channel is it worth the investment ?
I do have 2 other Focal component sets so technically I could add rear fill and build a center from 1/2 a component set....but I'm gonna need some solid answers before I'd even consider it.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
I have a P99 in my main car and a standard Kenwood HU with a Audison bit 10 in my other car. There are indeed a few settings available in the Bit10 that the P99 doesn't have, including EQ/channel (which means 6x31b GEQ), higher order crossover filters (48dB/oct vs 36dB/oct in the P99) and a few more detailed/higher resolution settings.

I never use crossovers above 4th order (24dB) so that is pretty useless for me and the smaller gain adjustments are really quite meaningless, 0,5dB+/- is enough. The only thing which I concider to be better is the per-channel EQ in the Bit10, that allows for better intergration at crossover points between drivers.

Still, the P99RS is an awesome headunit. The built-in DSP capabilities are good enough to precision tune a system imo and output is the cleanest I've heard in any headunit. Unfortunately the P99 don't come cheap...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
By the way.. which of the processors, besides MS-8, has the ability to implement a center channel and/or rear fill?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts