DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a sub to complement the 6x9"s in my camper van. Being a bit of a technical audio geek, I want to have full control of the crossover between the 6x9" speakers and the sub, which means having adjustable high-pass and low-pass filters.

As for EQ, lots of headunits have graphic EQ (several bands at fixed frequencies), but I've only found a couple with parametric EQ - the Alpine CDE-131R and the CDE-123R. These are £125 and £150 respectively. Does anyone know of any cheaper headunits with these features?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Clarion DXZ785USB has separate pEQ for both sides, and crossovers, and T/A, and iPod... and tons of information on here about it :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, the JVC is so close to what I want, but the HPF isn't adjustable, it's just on or off (it doesn't say what frequency it is at)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You might put up a WTB for one here too. A lot of folks have "spares" that they might let go of

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help. In the end I bought a Sony CDE-550UI - no parametric EQ, but 7 bands is okay, and it was cheap. I'm going to put it in my car, which means I'm still in the market for another head unit for my van. Ideally it should have a rear aux input, as I want to route an input cable to the back where we'll have a laptop or DVD player, or games console. Most units don't seem to have rear aux, though.

Being a sound engineer, I'm looking at some of the features available on some of these head units, and they just seem like overkill! Why do they have 24 bit DAC? How many people have 24 bit source material? I do, but it's all stuff I've recorded, and I'm perfectly happy listening to 128kbps AAC files in a car!

What about time alignment?! Perhaps it could correct the image for the driver, but screw it up for everyone else (they'd probably be be none the wiser, though!) It reminds me of a story an experienced sound engineer once told me. In the days of Beta Max, the record companies realised that they'd made lots of recordings where one channel was delayed by one sample, so they paid engineers to run these recordings though a one sample delay on the other channel to 'straighten' them up, which they did, whilst declaring how much better they now sounded... turned out they later realised they'd delayed the wrong channel! I know time alignment in a car is dealing with delays of hundreds of samples, not just one or two, but it's still a funny story!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for all the help. In the end I bought a Sony CDE-550UI - no parametric EQ, but 7 bands is okay, and it was cheap. I'm going to put it in my car, which means I'm still in the market for another head unit for my van. Ideally it should have a rear aux input, as I want to route an input cable to the back where we'll have a laptop or DVD player, or games console. Most units don't seem to have rear aux, though.

Being a sound engineer, I'm looking at some of the features available on some of these head units, and they just seem like overkill! Why do they have 24 bit DAC? How many people have 24 bit source material? I do, but it's all stuff I've recorded, and I'm perfectly happy listening to 128kbps AAC files in a car!

What about time alignment?! Perhaps it could correct the image for the driver, but screw it up for everyone else (they'd probably be be none the wiser, though!) It reminds me of a story an experienced sound engineer once told
me. In the days of Beta Max, the record companies realised that they'd made lots of recordings where one channel was delayed by one sample, so they paid engineers to run these recordings though a one sample delay on the other channel to 'straighten' them up, which they did, whilst declaring how much better they now sounded... turned out they later realised they'd delayed the wrong channel! I know time alignment in a car is dealing with delays of hundreds of samples, not just one or two, but it's still a funny story!
:laugh: interesting story and very funny :laugh:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

What about time alignment?! Perhaps it could correct the image for the driver, but screw it up for everyone else (they'd probably be be none the wiser, though!) It reminds me of a story an experienced sound engineer once told me. In the days of Beta Max, the record companies realised that they'd made lots of recordings where one channel was delayed by one sample, so they paid engineers to run these recordings though a one sample delay on the other channel to 'straighten' them up, which they did, whilst declaring how much better they now sounded... turned out they later realised they'd delayed the wrong channel! I know time alignment in a car is dealing with delays of hundreds of samples, not just one or two, but it's still a funny story!
lol, have a look for the old Kenwood KDC-W7044 for a rear aux stereo with decent features (variable HPF point and slope, variable LPF point and slope, Fr and Rr/Sw preouts, 5 line display) they're online for around £120-and do TA too;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts