DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im the throws of designing my first system and Im thinking pretty basic, soundstream PN5.640D which produced 4*60 RMS(+sub) and being on a budget I was going to get the polk db6051 and db651s in the back.

Then looking around I saw some nice focals the access range which are specified as 6-60 RMS, which look ok, but then I hear peeps raving about the ps range which look better and wanting nice sound and I dont want a completely budget system so I thought yes to those, but then thats where the budget spiral starts... the ps range are spec'd at 80 RMS- so does that mean the soundstream PN5.640D wont provide enough power for good SQ?

If not is there a budget 5 channel amp that would?

the sub I already have as it practically fell of a truck, and I wanted to make a fibreglass enclosure(almost finished) its a Infinity 1060w 100-275 RMS

Ill be buying speakers from New Zealand, so my options are limited, but Ill probably have to import the amp.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
in the amp world there is no noticeable difference between 60 and 80 watts.

Of course that being said..there is nothing wrong with having more power:D

But the SS amp would be fine for both speakers.

Also to save money..scratch the rear speakers all together, or just throw some budget coax in there if you feel you need rear speakers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in the amp world there is no noticeable difference between 60 and 80 watts.

Of course that being said..there is nothing wrong with having more power:D

But the SS amp would be fine for both speakers.

Also to save money..scratch the rear speakers all together, or just throw some budget coax in there if you feel you need rear speakers.
Thanks,

So what would more power give me? any recommendations?

Yeah, Im thinking if I get a 5 channel amp, but dont buy the rear speakers right away I can always upgrade later with out replacing or buying a new sub...

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
more power gives you more headroom...which means you can effectively play your music louder without risking clipping the amp.

but going from 60-80 is negligible...even 60 to 100 is some what not going to be noticeable.

Its a trade off here...buying a 5 channel amp will save you space, make for an easier installation, and may save you money. But the trade off is going to be you may give up some power, especially in the subwoofer section.

If you like the soundstream amp...maybe bump up to this one:
Soundstream TN5.950D Tarantula NANO 950W 5-Channel Amplifier

Not a huge power difference, but i believe its a better amp all around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.