DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for everyone's findings when performing the Auto-Timing with the Helix. Hoping you will add your comments on what you have done to make a successful reading.

So far this is what I have......for the Do side.

Copy your microphone's Calibration file contents into the Helix folder CAL.TXT file.

Check every single channel and make sure nothing is linked to other channels.

Make sure no speakers are linked in the Main Time window, including un-linking subs.

Tune your system as best you can to include crossover settings, and Eq'ing before performing Auto-Timing.

This is what I have for the Dont's...

Do the volume Test inside the Auto-Timing window and ensure you get into the Green signal. Don't turn up the volume over %60 percent. If you can't get into the Green at %60 percent, something is wrong. ( I had to re-install my Windows 10 Operating System on my laptop to get this to work correctly)

Where have you had success with Mic placement? I used a Tri-pod and placed the Mic right were the middle of my ears would be away from the drivers seat. (about 5.5inches away from seat)

How consistent were your reading over several attempts?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The helix doesn’t quite do as good a job as smaart imo

I use a spare headrest with a hole punched in it to hold my mic, I just measure from the steering wheel to the ears, and take 1/2” off due to it being in the middle of the ears so a bit of parallax error, and it’s 10” from the headlining also, so 27.5” from the wheel and 10” down and just adjust the mic through the headrest to get distance forth and back, and up and down with the headrest to get it in a nice spot 👍🏼

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just did my EQ today using Helix RTA. This is the first time I have adjusted EQ and not hated the result (first time using Helix, previous times were other things). I did TA first so I guess I have to redo it if EQ is supposed to be first. I also did not know Helix supported microphone calibration file, so mine is not loaded. sigh

When you are EQing a band, where do you stop? Let's say you have a midrange crossed over from 500Hz to 2500Hz. If you are using "Fine EQ" points 400, 500, 630, 800, 1000, 1250, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3200 where is your start/stop for EQ bands? I was doing +1/-1 from crossover point, but not sure this is correct. So on the above driver I would do any necessary EQ from 630 to 2000, but not 500 and 2500 unless the difference at that band was more than +/-6dB I also skipped 100Hz on my 80Hz-xo midbass because I believe that's just deadzone and it causes the Esotars to sound distorted if I boost it.

I am using UMIK-1. I sandwiched the stand in the headrest and aimed the microphone straight up, 2" parallel to the headrest, mic tip at the exact height to my ears. Then I moved my seat forward 4" to approximate the microphone being at the center of my head. I might be picking up a little reflection off the leather headrest but whatever. I wanted to be seated to account for my body changing the acoustics, but having a laptop screen in front of you is cramped and blocks the sound, so I sat in the back seat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use your EQ anywhere and everywhere you need it... I know this sound kinda vague, but I dont have a 'stop point' on the frequency adjustments. Its okay to make adjustments above and below your crossover points. So, your using 500 to 2.5k, its perfectly fine to make adjustment below 500 or above 2.5 on your midbase speakers or anywhere inbetween.

Goal is to get your left side frequency's to match the right side frequency's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts