DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for everyone's findings when performing the Auto-Timing with the Helix. Hoping you will add your comments on what you have done to make a successful reading.

So far this is what I have......for the Do side.

Copy your microphone's Calibration file contents into the Helix folder CAL.TXT file.

Check every single channel and make sure nothing is linked to other channels.

Make sure no speakers are linked in the Main Time window, including un-linking subs.

Tune your system as best you can to include crossover settings, and Eq'ing before performing Auto-Timing.

This is what I have for the Dont's...

Do the volume Test inside the Auto-Timing window and ensure you get into the Green signal. Don't turn up the volume over %60 percent. If you can't get into the Green at %60 percent, something is wrong. ( I had to re-install my Windows 10 Operating System on my laptop to get this to work correctly)

Where have you had success with Mic placement? I used a Tri-pod and placed the Mic right were the middle of my ears would be away from the drivers seat. (about 5.5inches away from seat)

How consistent were your reading over several attempts?

Reactions: dcfis

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The helix doesn’t quite do as good a job as smaart imo

I use a spare headrest with a hole punched in it to hold my mic, I just measure from the steering wheel to the ears, and take 1/2” off due to it being in the middle of the ears so a bit of parallax error, and it’s 10” from the headlining also, so 27.5” from the wheel and 10” down and just adjust the mic through the headrest to get distance forth and back, and up and down with the headrest to get it in a nice spot 👍🏼

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just did my EQ today using Helix RTA. This is the first time I have adjusted EQ and not hated the result (first time using Helix, previous times were other things). I did TA first so I guess I have to redo it if EQ is supposed to be first. I also did not know Helix supported microphone calibration file, so mine is not loaded. sigh

When you are EQing a band, where do you stop? Let's say you have a midrange crossed over from 500Hz to 2500Hz. If you are using "Fine EQ" points 400, 500, 630, 800, 1000, 1250, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3200 where is your start/stop for EQ bands? I was doing +1/-1 from crossover point, but not sure this is correct. So on the above driver I would do any necessary EQ from 630 to 2000, but not 500 and 2500 unless the difference at that band was more than +/-6dB I also skipped 100Hz on my 80Hz-xo midbass because I believe that's just deadzone and it causes the Esotars to sound distorted if I boost it.

I am using UMIK-1. I sandwiched the stand in the headrest and aimed the microphone straight up, 2" parallel to the headrest, mic tip at the exact height to my ears. Then I moved my seat forward 4" to approximate the microphone being at the center of my head. I might be picking up a little reflection off the leather headrest but whatever. I wanted to be seated to account for my body changing the acoustics, but having a laptop screen in front of you is cramped and blocks the sound, so I sat in the back seat.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use your EQ anywhere and everywhere you need it... I know this sound kinda vague, but I dont have a 'stop point' on the frequency adjustments. Its okay to make adjustments above and below your crossover points. So, your using 500 to 2.5k, its perfectly fine to make adjustment below 500 or above 2.5 on your midbase speakers or anywhere inbetween.

Goal is to get your left side frequency's to match the right side frequency's.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is this “Auto Timing” specific to the Helix Ultra or such? I don’t see it in my timing menu

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Is this “Auto Timing” specific to the Helix Ultra or such? I don’t see it in my timing menu
You need the latest version of the PC-Tool software (4.70a) - and then just press SHIFT+t to access the new function.

Here are the notes in the release notes for the new function:

Code:
ATM - The official public beta version of "Automatic Time Measurement" has been added. This is a completely new algorythm and function which allows the user to fully automatically set up the time alignment in a car for all speaker channels indepentend if these are active or passive speaker systems. The new function can be accessed by pressing "SHIFT" + "t" in any window. To use the function name ALL inputs and outputs correctly, make sure that a fullrange stereo signal is routed to analog input channels "A & B" or in case of VCP to Virtual Channels "Front Left" and "Front Right" and play the ATM test track from the SoundFiles folder. The microphone needs to be mounted in a fixed position at the the centered head position e.g. mounting the mic to the headrest facing upwords or in a 45° angle to the inner roof. At last make sure that the measurement volume is in the green/good marked area of the microphone level bar and click on the "Start" button. If necessary it is possible to select/unselect specific channels in the table of the new window.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pretty much only use it for my front stage. I got such a wide variety of measurements for the Subs and Coaxial's in lower Rear Doors. On one of the measurements for a Sub I got 2.59ms, the next time, 0.52ms. Tape measure for Subs gives me a 1.27ms. Rear doors were all over the place too. But, it seems to do a good job on just front speakers... so, uncheck subs&rears and give it another shot.

Reactions: Frequentflyer

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can’t seem to get enough volume on mine - it just freezes

I had kinda the same problem... as I could not get enough volume for the indicator to turn green...at one point I had the volume at 90% and all it showed was a small orange box at left side of the field that sorta flickered colors when I was in the middle of Timing. I tried all sorts of things to get it to work like un-installing/re-installing the Helix software, and a bunch of other drivers... nothing worked.. so I wiped the hard-drive and re-installed my Windows 10 Operating system... and then it worked first attempt, and everytime after...

Reactions: Frequentflyer

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.. also inside the Timing Window at top left, it showed my external microphone in the "Audio Input" field. So the Helix software was trying to use the external mic, and the internal mic was disabled. I remember that inside the Helix RTA window the external mic was working.... it just would not work with the Timing software... until I re-installed the OS

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can’t seem to get enough volume on mine - it just freezes
When you say it just freezes... do you mean it gets stuck on a channel and will not complete the Timing cycle? If true.. this means you have some speaker channels linked somewhere and/or you have speakers time-linked(delay-group) in the Main Time Window. Check each output A-thru J (or whatever) ensure no speakers are linked. Check your Main Time Window, ensure the X is selected for every speaker including Subs.. don't want the subs time-linked or any speakers linked for the process to work right.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There is also microphone recording volume to consider. Can find it by right-click your volume in taskbar and choose recording devices them check the properties and tabs of the mic and make sure it's turned to max.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts