DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having run a twk for a good year and installed the pro 2 today and spent the last several hours tuning it I figured I'd give you guys some hands on opinions between the 2.

Before I get too far the twk is no slouch. It has a lot of good things going for it.

It's actually MORE accurate than the helix.
It does freq, q and volume in hundredths compared the the helix which does tenths or in some cases whole numbers.
The twks software is also dead simple to use. You can manually adjust or click on a number and input whatever number you like. Want 82.13hz you've got it.
The helix can do this in some areas but it does weird things like ommiting everything past the decimal when you punch numbers in. Also it would not let me input negative numbers with the keyboard. Maybe I haven't figured it out but I found this strange.This makes tuning take much longer than I'm used to.
For an every day driver wanting a solid tune with decent gear I'd recommend the twk in a heartbeat.
The twk has always had a slight hiss in my trucks. Nothing horrible but there.
What i do like about the helix.
It's powerful. The extra output is obvious and my gains had to be severely reduced.
I'm still running at least negative 10db on all channels of the helix. Next session I'll drop my gains even more and bring these levels up.
With the twk I had to really crank on it's output and have my gains at about 3/4s up to get everything flowing right. Huge improvement with the helix.
Now what I love about the helix.
It is sonically superior.
The clarity and depth of the helix is fantastic. Even using a stock radio as a source the sound of the helix is , idk , open. There is not a hint of noise. Just extremely clear music.
The twk can keep up in the dynamics department. Transients on the twk are really good. Some of it may be the tune but it's ability to go from really quiet to very loud quickly was something I liked a lot about the twk. The helix is just as good in this department. I'd say it's a toss up.
I miss the tun software for the twk but once my tune is settled in on the helix and I don't have to mess with it so much I believe it will be worth it.
The clarity of the helix is worth the hassle alone.
I noticed it immediately. Basic ta and crossovers and I could already tell the helix was much cleaner. It almost sounded like I had completely changed my speakers. It was that obvious.
To keep things fair I dialed the helix in as close as humanly possible to my saved measurements from my twks latest tune and I have to say im pretty damned impressed. Hate the software but the helix itself is a great piece of gear.

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
apparently you figured out your connection issue? nice

Also it would not let me input negative numbers with the keyboard. Maybe I haven't figured it out but I found this strange.
your doing something wrong. i can input negatives without a problem. what i do is click and drag to highlight the whole number, then just type "-2" or whatever, then use the arrow keys to go up or down to .25, .5, or .75.. you cannot type the decimals in

Hate the software but the helix itself is a great piece of gear.
as someone who has extensive time with both processors, once you really understand the helix software, it smashed the Tun software out of the park imo

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 2 issues off the bat. It wouldn't connect and once it did the drivers side was 10 times louder than the passenger.
That had me freaking out. Combing though the software, swapping rcas around to verify no faulty wiring.
Turns out I bumped the high/low input switch on one side of the amp during install. It's always the last thing you check.

As far as input data I'm so used to just double clicking the box on the twk and inputting the numbers .
It's so fast.

·
New CAJ Member!
435 Posts
...your doing something wrong. i can input negatives without a problem. what i do is click and drag to highlight the whole number, then just type "-2" or whatever, then use the arrow keys to go up or down to .25, .5, or .75.. you cannot type the decimals in...
I was able to type decimals in for gain and q in the parametric eq this past weekend but it happens in two steps. Highlight and enter something like -2 and then highlight and do the decimal afterwards.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Hate the software but the helix itself is a great piece of gear.
Very surprised to read you hate the software. In my experience the Helix software is the best out there currently. The software on my MiniDSP 8-12 does not compare, don't get me wrong the MiniDSP software is fine, but the Helix is better.

I was able to type decimals in for gain and q in the parametric eq this past weekend but it happens in two steps. Highlight and enter something like -2 and then highlight and do the decimal afterwards.
If I remember correctly that's what I had to do with the Helix as well. Kind of odd at first, but you quickly get used to it.

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
agree. i tuned a car w/ a twk last week and found the software extremely...limiting.

*shrug*
You and me both. Did a model x with one last week. Good processor, annoying software.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Ok the Helix is better but is it 2x the price better?

·
ROCKY TOP
1,562 Posts
I actually hate the twk software, my buddy uses one and I hate it. Helix software is super easy to use imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Agree with most people's impressions here. I think that the TwK is probably perfect for the majority of JL Audio's target market, which is the for the majority of the general public/car audio enthusiast installs. But for the true high-end SQ tweaker, the Helix is just way more capable, and flexible. Just having those 2 extra outputs available is huge for me. Now anything with "just" 8 outputs seems extremely limiting, ha.

And I don't think that I'll ever be a fan of the Helix Director Remote (or its finicky DIN connector). But short of not being able to tune even just a few parameters via the Director remote, it offers 95% of the "post tune" functionality that we generally need from this type of remote. It's mostly the UI/touchscreen display that irks me.

On the TwK, once you have everything fairly well dialed-in, I can appreciate the small size and simplicity of its remote knob in many ways.

For its target market, I think JL's M.O. is to keep it "fairly simple" and not too overwhelming for the vast majority of users. The TwK is plenty powerful, but not to the extreme detail or advanced adjust-ability that the Helix units are. For that reason, I don't think JL are as willing to incorporate most of the more specific, specialized, or "esoteric" features that Audiotec-Fischer is willing to implement.

Just my .02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can I ask a dump questions here, I am in So Cal getting ready to do my install. I have a 2016 chevy Silverado that has door chimes, blue tooth, backup sensors that every shop tells me that the Audio Control - DM 810 is the only (and I mean only) processor to keep the factory sound levels the same without having it amplified in my car. Meaning that the sounds would be noticeably louder due to installing the Audio Control. Fast forward I had another shop tell me the Audison Bit Ten D is the only way to go. But recently I had with the help of Skizer recommended another installer who said the Helix is great, when I recommended the Helix to the shop that wants to use the Audio Control, they said the Helix is great but probably to advanced for my system and unnecessary. I have also looked at the JL TWK and Fix, but can the JL or Helix keep my stock factory sounds the same level? I am keeping my stock head unit, man I am so lost and just want to pic and EQ and get this thing installed.

2016 Chevy Silverado
Hertz Millie Legend 1650.3 Front speakers with Tweeters
Hertz Millie MPX 165.3 rear speakers
Audison Quattro Amp for speakers
JL Audio 10tw3 sub in stack fab box with JL HD 500/1 amp

Just need a EQ that can work great and keep factory sound levels exactly the same.
Sorry to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
If someone says its "to advanced for your system" that actually means "it's to advanced for me and I dont know how to tune anyway" and the reason them and another shop are saying their choices are the only way to go translates into "I don't carry it so I wont make any money". The audiocontrols only plus is that it does have some nice integration features, but that's about it.

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Or it could be to advanced because he's using passives. Maybe.

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
Or it could be to advanced because he's using passives. Maybe.
That changes nothing.. That actually makes a stronger argument for the helix. All pass filters to help fix phase issues at the crossover points. On top of that, you still want left/right eq which the AC doesnt have

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Jl has l/r

1 - 20 of 76 Posts