DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If someone says its "to advanced for your system" that actually means "it's to advanced for me and I dont know how to tune anyway" and the reason them and another shop are saying their choices are the only way to go translates into "I don't carry it so I wont make any money". The audiocontrols only plus is that it does have some nice integration features, but that's about it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the responses, SkizeR, I appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Having run a twk for a good year and installed the pro 2 today and spent the last several hours tuning it I figured I'd give you guys some hands on opinions between the 2.

Before I get too far the twk is no slouch. It has a lot of good things going for it.

It's actually MORE accurate than the helix.
It does freq, q and volume in hundredths compared the the helix which does tenths or in some cases whole numbers.
The twks software is also dead simple to use. You can manually adjust or click on a number and input whatever number you like. Want 82.13hz you've got it.
The helix can do this in some areas but it does weird things like ommiting everything past the decimal when you punch numbers in. Also it would not let me input negative numbers with the keyboard. Maybe I haven't figured it out but I found this strange.This makes tuning take much longer than I'm used to.
For an every day driver wanting a solid tune with decent gear I'd recommend the twk in a heartbeat.
The twk has always had a slight hiss in my trucks. Nothing horrible but there.
What i do like about the helix.
It's powerful. The extra output is obvious and my gains had to be severely reduced.
I'm still running at least negative 10db on all channels of the helix. Next session I'll drop my gains even more and bring these levels up.
With the twk I had to really crank on it's output and have my gains at about 3/4s up to get everything flowing right. Huge improvement with the helix.
Now what I love about the helix.
It is sonically superior.
The clarity and depth of the helix is fantastic. Even using a stock radio as a source the sound of the helix is , idk , open. There is not a hint of noise. Just extremely clear music.
The twk can keep up in the dynamics department. Transients on the twk are really good. Some of it may be the tune but it's ability to go from really quiet to very loud quickly was something I liked a lot about the twk. The helix is just as good in this department. I'd say it's a toss up.
I miss the tun software for the twk but once my tune is settled in on the helix and I don't have to mess with it so much I believe it will be worth it.
The clarity of the helix is worth the hassle alone.
I noticed it immediately. Basic ta and crossovers and I could already tell the helix was much cleaner. It almost sounded like I had completely changed my speakers. It was that obvious.
To keep things fair I dialed the helix in as close as humanly possible to my saved measurements from my twks latest tune and I have to say im pretty damned impressed. Hate the software but the helix itself is a great piece of gear.
Thanks for the info, I will pass on the JL piece just based on the hiss,I can’t stand noise period. I’m still waiting on the new DSP’s to come out in 2018. Alpines and a couple others before making my decision. The DSR1 was promising but has a few bugs, other than that there is the stand alone Maestro AR piece but only works with the Kenwood dsp amps, Audison Bit amps/dsp and the Audison stand alone dsp Bit Nove, and the Audio control DM608, 610 in April which I might look into. Everyone on here seems to like the Helix the best, and I know my Fiio X5iii I can go digital to it but I think I would still prefer going auxiliary in and using the Fiio X5iii dac since it’s is a better DAC. But will see in the next 3 months, this will be my last thing I do in my new system. I have a brand new VRX 240.6 that has been sitting in a spare room that I have been wanting to use for the Hertz Mille mid and tweeter and then I might run the woofers with my LRX at 260 watts or Mosconi AS I have too many amps lying around lol Anyways the Helix is on top of my list so far.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will pass on the JL piece just based on the hiss,I can’t stand noise period. I’m still waiting on the new DSP’s to come out in 2018. Alpines and a couple others before making my decision. The DSR1 was promising but has a few bugs, other than that there is the stand alone Maestro AR piece but only works with the Kenwood dsp amps, Audison Bit amps/dsp and the Audison stand alone dsp Bit Nove, and the Audio control DM608, 610 in April which I might look into. Everyone on here seems to like the Helix the best, and I know my Fiio X5iii I can go digital to it but I think I would still prefer going auxiliary in and using the Fiio X5iii dac since it’s is a better DAC. But will see in the next 3 months, this will be my last thing I do in my new system. I have a brand new VRX 240.6 that has been sitting in a spare room that I have been wanting to use for the Hertz Mille mid and tweeter and then I might run the woofers with my LRX at 260 watts or Mosconi AS I have too many amps lying around lol Anyways the Helix is on top of my list so far.
i have ZERO noise. i mean ZERO. i have 4 amps

i have a PG xenon 400.2 bridged per midbass and 2 100.2s bridged per tweeter. i also have a vital power 700.1 for the woofers. 0 i repeat ZERO noise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Having run a twk for a good year and installed the pro 2 today and spent the last several hours tuning it I figured I'd give you guys some hands on opinions between the 2.

Before I get too far the twk is no slouch. It has a lot of good things going for it.

It does freq, q and volume in hundredths compared the the helix which does tenths or in some cases whole numbers.
The twks software is also dead simple to use. You can manually adjust or click on a number and input whatever number you like. Want 82.13hz you've got it.
The helix can do this in some areas but it does weird things like ommiting everything past the decimal when you punch numbers in. Also it would not let me input negative numbers with the keyboard. Maybe I haven't figured it out but I found this strange.This makes tuning take much longer than I'm used to.
For an every day driver wanting a solid tune with decent gear I'd recommend the twk in a heartbeat.
It's powerful. The extra output is obvious and my gains had to be severely reduced.
I'm still running at least negative 10db on all channels of the helix. Next session I'll drop my gains even more and bring these levels up.
With the twk I had to really crank on it's output and have my gains at about 3/4s up to get everything flowing right. Huge improvement with the helix.
The clarity and depth of the helix is fantastic. Even using a stock radio as a source the sound of the helix is , idk , open. There is not a hint of noise. Just extremely clear music.
The twk can keep up in the dynamics department. Transients on the twk are really good. Some of it may be the tune but it's ability to go from really quiet to very loud quickly was something I liked a lot about the twk. The helix is just as good in this department. I'd say it's a toss up.
I miss the tun software for the twk but once my tune is settled in on the helix and I don't have to mess with it so much I believe it will be worth it.
I noticed it immediately. Basic ta and crossovers and I could already tell the helix was much cleaner. It almost sounded like I had completely changed my speakers. It was that obvious.
To keep things fair I dialed the helix in as close as humanly possible to my saved measurements from my twks latest tune and I have to say im pretty damned impressed. Hate the software but the helix itself is a great piece of gear.
i have my input of 1.4 volts. the output on the deck is 5 volts but my gains are not past 1/4 on the amps and i don't go past 34 of 40 my SLA(source level adjustment) is +2 but its not that it needs to be. i have ZERO noise.
even hte lower recordings are stupid loud for a 2way setup. the 0DB recording i cant go past 29 without it getting uncomfortable.
Im not going to say the twk is the best. its a great budget tool but its been glitch free and easy as fawk to tune with,
with that being said my next DSP is ARC

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I own two Twk’s and a Fix 86. I’ve demoed the AudioControl and Helix software too. I also bought, tried, and returned a DSR1. In my opinion the DSR1 was frustrating to program and didn’t sound as good as my twk88 (could be me though) . I found the Helix software unintuitive and the AudioControl software very limited in tuning compared to every other. I do not have any hiss or noise floor issues with both my JL TwK DSP’s in either vehicle so that one is a mystery to me. I’ve also owned an AudioControl DQ61 with 8 volt outputs and Have an AudioControl EQX in my Sienna with 8 + volt outputs. Most head units only put out 4 volts rms, Mini DSP up until recently just 2 Volts, and so on. In my opinion if you have good amplifiers with high quality shielded RCA that is properly installed than you shouldn’t have any hiss with any setup. Yes the high voltage can help overcome this in an installation that isn’t great or has some compromises but you don’t have to pay for it with a DSP that puts out 8 volts.

The Twk 88 isn’t the top of the line DSP out there. What it is, is the one of the best DSP’s out there for $425. It offers very powerful tuning abilities with a simple to use interface and I love the simple control knob much like the one from AudioControl. I can make a change on my laptop at work, get in my truck and load it in minutes, and be on my way quickly. I can also toggle between two tunes to compare them with that knob and hear the difference at my will on my drive home. It’s sofeware is awesome and well designed once you get used to it. With REW and a microphone I can make a meh sounding system sound awesome. The seperate factory DSP like the Fix 82 and fixe 86 is a good idea. You also have to be careful with which sofeware setup in tuN you are using. There are three basic levels depending on your skill and knowledge and each one unlocks more capabilities as you advance up the ladder of capability. You could be in advanced mode and think it’s limited when in fact you should be in expert mode.

Lastly to the op saying you can hear a noticeable difference, I will put out there that A&B testing with different input voltages can fool you into thinking that. You would have to reset your amplifier gains exactly the same. The dynamic range on the amplifiers will not be the same if you do not carefully make them identical, tricking you into thinking it’s the DSP, when in fact it’s the amplifier tuning relative to input gains. This happened to me when I switched my AudioControl EQX for my TwK. I actually thought the EQX sounded better! I started to think it was an analog vs digital signal thing, which when I look back now is laughable. Once I figured this out and got good with tuning with REW I realized it was my installation.

There is also another possibility too. The human brain is horribly unreliable when you do A&B testing knowing which device it’s listening to. You already have it in your head that you paid much more for the Helix so it must be much better sounding. Your brain is expecting this because otherwise you will be disappointed in the Helix. Your brain can trick you there especially if the Helix is putting out a stronger signal to your amplifiers making the volume at the same position louder and driving more watts and dynamic range to your speakers. This is why the placebo effect in the medical field is so real.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I own two Twk’s and a Fix 86. I’ve demoed the AudioControl and Helix software too. I also bought, tried, and returned a DSR1. In my opinion the DSR1 was frustrating to program and didn’t sound as good as my twk88 (could be me though) . I found the Helix software unintuitive and the AudioControl software very limited in tuning compared to every other. I do not have any hiss or noise floor issues with both my JL TwK DSP’s in either vehicle so that one is a mystery to me. I’ve also owned an AudioControl DQ61 with 8 volt outputs and Have an AudioControl EQX in my Sienna with 8 + volt outputs. Most head units only put out 4 volts rms, Mini DSP up until recently just 2 Volts, and so on. In my opinion if you have good amplifiers with high quality shielded RCA that is properly installed than you shouldn’t have any hiss with any setup. Yes the high voltage can help overcome this in an installation that isn’t great or has some compromises but you don’t have to pay for it with a DSP that puts out 8 volts.

The Twk 88 isn’t the top of the line DSP out there. What it is, is the one of the best DSP’s out there for $425. It offers very powerful tuning abilities with a simple to use interface and I love the simple control knob much like the one from AudioControl. I can make a change on my laptop at work, get in my truck and load it in minutes, and be on my way quickly. I can also toggle between two tunes to compare them with that knob and hear the difference at my will on my drive home. It’s sofeware is awesome and well designed once you get used to it. With REW and a microphone I can make a meh sounding system sound awesome. The seperate factory DSP like the Fix 82 and fixe 86 is a good idea. You also have to be careful with which sofeware setup in tuN you are using. There are three basic levels depending on your skill and knowledge and each one unlocks more capabilities as you advance up the ladder of capability. You could be in advanced mode and think it’s limited when in fact you should be in expert mode.

Lastly to the op saying you can hear a noticeable difference, I will put out there that A&B testing with different input voltages can fool you into thinking that. You would have to reset your amplifier gains exactly the same. The dynamic range on the amplifiers will not be the same if you do not carefully make them identical, tricking you into thinking it’s the DSP, when in fact it’s the amplifier tuning relative to input gains. This happened to me when I switched my AudioControl EQX for my TwK. I actually thought the EQX sounded better! I started to think it was an analog vs digital signal thing, which when I look back now is laughable. Once I figured this out and got good with tuning with REW I realized it was my installation.

There is also another possibility too. The human brain is horribly unreliable when you do A&B testing knowing which device it’s listening to. You already have it in your head that you paid much more for the Helix so it must be much better sounding. Your brain is expecting this because otherwise you will be disappointed in the Helix. Your brain can trick you there especially if the Helix is putting out a stronger signal to your amplifiers making the volume at the same position louder and driving more watts and dynamic range to your speakers. This is why the placebo effect in the medical field is so real.
I'm well aware of the placibo effect.
This wasn't that. The helix IS cleaner. Some people may not be able to hear it but the helix has smoother filters as well.
If you can't hear the difference between an average filter and a super smooth one it's unlikely you'll hear the quality differences between the 2 processors.
I'll be the first to admit it's absolutely negligible for most almost everyone but if you know what you are listening for it is present. Driving down the road, forget it. Either will sound just as good.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

i have my input of 1.4 volts. the output on the deck is 5 volts but my gains are not past 1/4 on the amps and i don't go past 34 of 40 my SLA(source level adjustment) is +2 but its not that it needs to be. i have ZERO noise.
even hte lower recordings are stupid loud for a 2way setup. the 0DB recording i cant go past 29 without it getting uncomfortable.
Im not going to say the twk is the best. its a great budget tool but its been glitch free and easy as fawk to tune with,
I'm surprised you've got yours set to 1.4v with 5 v pre outs. I played with the voltage a good bit and pushing it that far off balance made the signal really hot, in a bad way. Yes it would get LOUD, but it didn't sound good to me. Almost sounded like it was being compressed to hell and back.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i have ZERO noise. i mean ZERO. i have 4 amps

i have a PG xenon 400.2 bridged per midbass and 2 100.2s bridged per tweeter. i also have a vital power 700.1 for the woofers. 0 i repeat ZERO noise.
I have only heard two of these earlier today, and they never had any noise. One was tuned and sounded good but nothing spectacular, they had JL audio XD amps all around, and two JL 10W3’s in a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other same system in a Jeep Cherokee. But the one that was tuned was only the 4th one he tuned so I don’t think he was an expert. He said he liked his Audison Bit One better for sound but liked the JL for simplicity, he also said he liked the DRC on the Bit one. I heard his car with the Bit one and it did sound better but then again it had higher end everything in it. I’m in Canada so price on JL is expensive because of the exchange rate. But I don’t think any DSP is going to give everyone on here exactly all the options they want. Just pick what brand you like best.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When I say noise I'm really not complaining. I'm being particular. As in if I lean forward with the music paused I can hear a VERY slight hiss from the tweeters. Music on there's no way anyone could hear it. Or even with the engine running.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I say noise I'm really not complaining. I'm being particular. As in if I lean forward with the music paused I can hear a VERY slight hiss from the tweeters. Music on there's no way anyone could hear it. Or even with the engine running.
You shouldn’t have any hiss whatsoever though, but it’s strange that just swapping from one DSP to another it went away.

·
Registered
620 Posts

I'm surprised you've got yours set to 1.4v with 5 v pre outs. I played with the voltage a good bit and pushing it that far off balance made the signal really hot, in a bad way. Yes it would get LOUD, but it didn't sound good to me. Almost sounded like it was being compressed to hell and back.
I use next to no gain on the amp. This simply increases the output voltage of the DSP. Which is what you want. It's output is going to be more linear than the amps input section. The CD player never comes close to full output lowering any chance of noise via the head unit.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You shouldn’t have any hiss whatsoever though, but it’s strange that just swapping from one DSP to another it went away.
might have better filters on the input side or a stronger output. Then again a bad connection will create noise.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I want you to know I'm thankful for your review I just think there's an underlying issue where the noise on the twk

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will pass on the JL piece just based on the hiss,I can’t stand noise period.
hates hiss, loves hertz/audison.. the irony.

Everyone on here seems to like the Helix the best, and I know my Fiio X5iii I can go digital to it but I think I would still prefer going auxiliary in and using the Fiio X5iii dac since it’s is a better DAC.
going analog into any processor is going to use the processors DAC as well, therefor making your previous DAC somewhat irrelevant. A single DAC that can handle the clock speeds of the digital input would be better.

·
Registered
219 Posts
hates hiss, loves hertz/audison.. the irony.

I have personally never heard any noise with Hertz/Audison but have read old articles, key word old articles on Bit One noise. But if something is installed wrong you can have noise to matter what product is used.

Also I liked old Audison VRX/LRX not there current line up. As for Hertz where I’m at it’s the best product per dollar, maybe where your at it isn’t or maybe you have bad ears and don’t know good sound or maybe they took that line away from you because you didn’t meet quota🤔

going analog into any processor is going to use the processors DAC as well, therefor making your previous DAC somewhat irrelevant. A single DAC that can handle the clock speeds of the digital input would be better.
Auxiliary in.

🤔
🤔
🤔
🤔

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
So you are saying that if you hook up an Astell & Kern DAP digital to any DSP it’s going to sound the same as a Fiio X5iii or iPad etc... ? If I go auxiliary in I will lose all tuning with any DSP?
your supposedly smart. you should be able to figure it out ;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Says he loves SQ uses a phone as a source.. smh

21 - 40 of 76 Posts