DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having issues getting my DSP to recognize G/H channel input as AUX source.

Running A/B channels from head unit with RCA splitting to output all channels, everything is OK.

Input to G/H is through a PC with outboard DAC (Audioquest Dragonfly Red) @ 2.1 Volt- confirmed that the DSP is set to correct input voltage via jumpers

I have the Helix DSP software set to recognize AUX as G/H on signal, with priority, and running a single volume knob set as master.

If I move the inputs from G/H to A/B I get sound but nothing from G/H. So that rules out the DAC signal.

I do have Aux input as overriding input preference.

Any thoughts on what I'm missing? In my other car I have a similar setup but using the Helix HEC and it works great. Thought I'd try an outboard DAC and it's not functioning the same.

TIA!

· Registered
2020 RAV4
75 Posts
I’m using a Dragonfly Red as well but I have it routed through the AUX on my aftermarket head unit using an iPhone as the source. I hadn’t even thought of going directly into the DSP and bypassing the HU.

I installed that USB power plate inside the armrest so the iPhone would charge while connected to the DAC.

· Banned
24,246 Posts
In the IO, make sure you are using the AUX inputs and not G/H inputs. Im pretty sure thats how it works in this scenario if i remember correctly. Then go into the DCM / Signal Management tab and make sure "input G/H as AUX Source" is selected. If you have a controller such as director, wifi, or conductor make sure your aux volume is up.

· Registered
2020 RAV4
75 Posts
Get the Dragonfly routed direct to the DSP and I think you will be happy you did :)
Well.. you get it figured out and let me know how first ;) I feel like the best source would be to keep the signal digital all the way to the digital signal processor. It's a shame that even the most expensive Pioneer HUs (not sure about other brands) still have no digital output. Could go straight from the phone but after a quick search there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to output an optical signal from an iPhone. Not even a USB to SPDIF/TOSLink adapter looks to be readily available.

If you get to the point where you feel like you tried everything, it could just be the software. I spent two days trying to get ANY sound from my Helix DSP. Someone suggested I try redoing the IO from scratch. I reset all settings and started on a fresh preset. Set IO and XOs same as before and then it worked.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, Had some more time to work on this.
I did get the AUX through G/H working with the volume knob (DIY based on URC, no switch) set to HEC/AUX instead of master. AUX is priority signal. Radio now plays after 3 seconds of no AUX signal if I pause the PC player.

What I lost was the Volume knob as MASTER, it has to be assigned to AUX/HEC to work properly. Not a killer but the volume adjustment on the head unit is not as simple, buttons up and down, nor as easy to get to.

Also, if I use Phone and Nav having priority on Main (which is nice) - it overrides the AUX and does not allow the PC to play through G/H for some reason. I tried playing with the sensitivity settings in the software but no change.

I guess I could work in a switch to go between Master and Aux like on the URC but would prefer not to.

· Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
2,386 Posts
Well.. you get it figured out and let me know how first ;) I feel like the best source would be to keep the signal digital all the way to the digital signal processor. It's a shame that even the most expensive Pioneer HUs (not sure about other brands) still have no digital output. Could go straight from the phone but after a quick search there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to output an optical signal from an iPhone. Not even a USB to SPDIF/TOSLink adapter looks to be readily available.

If you get to the point where you feel like you tried everything, it could just be the software. I spent two days trying to get ANY sound from my Helix DSP. Someone suggested I try redoing the IO from scratch. I reset all settings and started on a fresh preset. Set IO and XOs same as before and then it worked.
In my install I’m going to use my phone and the apple camera kit to go into this topping d10 and send optical/toslink straight to the helix and adjust vol through a urc.3 for now and eventually director or conductor, once i figure out the best place for it. I also have the helix wifi piece but rather have a physical knob for vol. At least that’s the plan for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.