DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
I didn't think Apple had High Res files in the iTunes store. I have my whole CD collection ripped to Apple Lossless and I was able to play it just fine on a 9905S at my local shop. The 9905S was marketed at people who wanted to play High Res music.

I really want to understand what the issue was with the 9905 since it's on my list for the next upgrade to my system. I play all my music from my iPhone.

Hi Dan, I use an android headunit and connect one of its usb to the helix dsp pro 2 via Helix usb module.

With usb pro audio or onkyo hf player I can play all audio including dsd and dff hires files or even cd/dvd via android usb drive since many cd are still preferred, including cd for emma competition.

I just paid for android auto/carplay module for my wife's new mazda 6 and utterly disappointed with limited functions and apps ... not much different from 3 yrs ago when I deliberate to go brand AA headunits like Pioneer, Alpine, Carion etc. but glad I stuck with full android HU which is basically an android phone.

Many audiophiles here in Singapore use high end dap with coaxial or usb directly to the Helix dsp but it is not for me as I want a fully integrated solution which I currently have in my forester xt and not meddle with any gadget since safety should be my consideration also.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: Get android HU if it is they way to go for you but with intel airmount mobo for best sq due to prescribed power supply mgmt, mobo design etc. and probably keep some $ in place of any branded ones.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I didn't think Apple had High Res files in the iTunes store. I have my whole CD collection ripped to Apple Lossless and I was able to play it just fine on a 9905S at my local shop. The 9905S was marketed at people who wanted to play High Res music.

I really want to understand what the issue was with the 9905 since it's on my list for the next upgrade to my system. I play all my music from my iPhone.
Hey Tom. The Kenwood DDX9905S is a great head unit. My music from iTunes sounded very good. I just wanted and needed to experiment with the true capabilities for the 9905. Kenwood mentions it on their website. they don't support Apple's AAC or ALAC files. https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/ddx9905s/

The way to convert AAC to ALAC on iTunes is to first make sure the the option for the highest bit rate is turned off!... Then you would high the song/songs you want to convert - click on "File" at top right of screen - scroll down to "Convert" and a drop down down menu would appear. The Click on "Apple Lossless". Which is ALAC. Here's a better explanation of the appropriate steps from apple.com;
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204310

I used the Vox app (free) on my iPhone, plugged the iPhone to my HU via the USB cable. This bypasses the internal DAC of the phone and allows me to play my hires or flac files. iTunes can't do this as we all read above.

Bluetooth will almost never be satisfactory. Even the best out there.

Maybe I’m missing something here but why not just use the CarPlay interface?

Most of my music library is apple lossless. I also have the kenwood 9905s. I have no issues with playback with my phone being the source of music through CarPlay.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Maybe I’m missing something here but why not just use the CarPlay interface?

Most of my music library is apple lossless. I also have the kenwood 9905s. I have no issues with playback with my phone being the source of music through CarPlay.
This is exactly what I've been doing. Plugging the phone into the HU via usb and using CARPLAY. However, I confirmed with Crutchfield & Kenwood that the Kenwood still would play the HI Res ALAC format. I also confirm this when I converted my music to FLAC and downloaded them to a flash. There's a separate plug for this in the HU. The FLAC music files sounded noticeably different. But the thing that really sucks about a flash drive is trying to organize your library. This is why I'm seriously contemplating running a wire directly to the DSP. I would just have to pause the music when a call comes in. When using the Waze app with CarPlay - I would have to mute the voice on the iPhone. I would then control the music through my iPhone and not the HU. All of this just for a little more clarity from my music. As I type this I'm thinking that it really doesn't make sense to go through all of that hassle. There really isn't too much of a difference.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.