DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wound up going back out this afternoon and doing another auto-set EQ after rebooting my laptop and DSP Tool. It seemed to work fine this time. I was able to do each driver individually this time. I did not auto-set all of the drivers together after doing them individually. Just for kicks I went back to a flat tune with no TA and listened to it for 10-15 min then did the auto-tune. Night and day difference. I know that sometimes after getting used to something you don't realize how good it is. I will leave this tune be until I can get into REW and figure it out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
REW really isnt that difficult for what we use it for.. just RTA, Levels, Phase dips, and maybe use the REW auto-EQ. REW really is powerful and can do a lot of stuff other than just RTA (frequency response). But now that the Helix will do the timing for us, well thats a bonus....

Get Jazzi's Speaker Curve Excel, and make your own House Curve and speaker curves for REW, and have fun.

Reactions: Frequentflyer

·
Registered
310 Posts
REW really isnt that difficult for what we use it for.. just RTA, Levels, Phase dips, and maybe use the REW auto-EQ. REW really is powerful and can do a lot of stuff other than just RTA (frequency response). But now that the Helix will do the timing for us, well thats a bonus....

Get Jazzi's Speaker Curve Excel, and make your own House Curve and speaker curves for REW, and have fun.

Now that I got to auto-EQ individual drivers, I may save a new setup file with zeroed out TA so I can try the auto-TA again. I'd really like to get it to work to compare it to my manual measurements.

I think the key to the auto-EQ is to set the Measurement Curve Offset in such a way so that it only mostly pulls EQ for the peaks and doesn't add it for the dips. You can also fine tune it while still playing pink noise after the auto-EQ has done it's thing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You're on the right track... its best to cuts the peaks, and try not to boost the dips.
REW has an auto-EQ feature too. It will give you accurate and specific frequency's to adjust. Will tell you to increase or decrease Freq's and which Q to use. You use it to adjust using the Helix Parametric EQ, so that gives you 30 Bands of EQ per speaker, as the Helix auto-eq using the Graphic EQ, is 30 bands of EQ for the entire system.....

Reactions: Frequentflyer

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looks like I am returning this P SIX DSP MK2 and Director to the ebay seller, how do I go about getting another one for a fair price from an 'authorized' dealer here in the states? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got Helix from Crutchfield years ago, but they no longer sell them. There are some authorized dealers the frequent this web-site (DIY), I'm sure somebody will chime in for you..... or start a new thread 'cause your post is buried deep in this thread.
If you plan to purchase another Helix, then no need to return your Director.... 'cause it will work with any and all Helix DSP's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got Helix from Crutchfield years ago, but they no longer sell them. There are some authorized dealers the frequent this web-site (DIY), I'm sure somebody will chime in for you..... or start a new thread 'cause your post is buried deep in this thread.
If you plan to purchase another Helix, then no need to return your Director.... 'cause it will work with any and all Helix DSP's.
It was a package deal, will most likely be returning both. I'm tempted to just go with the AudioControl D-6.1200. Crutchfield has it in stock. They are great with returns and support, it's a bit cheaper and it does essentially the same thing that I am looking for. Also, their DSP software supports iOS.

I'm not sure if Helix is worth the effort to just get someone to take my money. lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
You should research that AudioControl deeply.....As you tune and get more knowledge about this hobby, the easier things get...... you will soon regret purchasing that AudioControl, 'cause it just can't do the things the Helix can do in regards to tuning. The Helix really is the best DSP out there with the easiest to use interface software....

·
Registered
875 Posts
The only other DSP I'd consider besides a Helix would be the MiniDSP 8x12 Dirac Live model. The Dirac Live auto-tune is supposed to be really good - and a true auto-tune - as opposed to an "auto-EQ" like you get with the Helix. It uses FIR filters instead of IIR filters, which I think resolves phase issues at the same time it resolves frequency issues (don't quote me on that).

The nice thing about the MiniDSP is that you can easily just go on-line and buy it directly from the manufacturer. No jumping through hoops to buy from an "authorized reseller" like the Helix (and Helix "authorized resellers" aren't allowed to sell online, which is silly in this day and age, in my opinion).

I love my Helix, but I hate the US sales model - and it just may drive me to the MiniDSP when I go to replace my Helix DSP.3.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
It was a package deal, will most likely be returning both. I'm tempted to just go with the AudioControl D-6.1200. Crutchfield has it in stock. They are great with returns and support, it's a bit cheaper and it does essentially the same thing that I am looking for. Also, their DSP software supports iOS.

I'm not sure if Helix is worth the effort to just get someone to take my money. lol
Yes, it is a bit more difficult to acquire the Helix DSPs, but well worth it IMO.

As others have stated, I'm really happy with the miniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 as well, and would highly recommend it. Right now, nothing can really match the functionality of the Dirac Live, and they are solid units even without that extra feature.

While the AudioControl units look great "on paper" and in the general reviews, I would advise that you steer clear of them.

Oddly, you don't hear about it much, but AudioControl has issues with their QC for some reason. And for users of DSPs that really understand how they work and what they are doing, the AC DSPs are somewhat limited in functionality and features when you get into the nitty-gritty of them.

Yes, it is nice to have an iOS tuning app for convenience, but it is laggy and IMO not ready for primetime.

None of the DSP units are perfect, but the Helix and miniDSP units would ALWAYS be my Go-To until something better comes around.

YMMV

1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts