DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had the choice, which would it be?? I am trying to sell of my DLS A3 amps in order to upgrade. I had in mind at first to go with US Amps AX series, but here rumors that Jeff Coleman was fired recently because he and the new owner (Daniel Kim) had their differences. Seems that Mr Kim wanted to make these amps more affordable, and you know what happens when a high end company is bought out by an inferior company (Kim owns US Acoustics).

But to not diverge too far from my original topic, I have narrowed my choices to either Helix or Arc. They seem to be in the same pricepoint. If budget was not confined, then I would consider Helix' big brother Brax or even Tru, but they cost too much for me right now. (damn V8 drinks too many $3 gallons of gas!)

·
Registered
556 Posts
i have not listened or installed the helix myself,i have read reports on the brax line and did excellent ,as far as arc audio goes i believe they are among the best newer amps avail, price, sq, features and reliability are hard to beat at any price ,in the long run i think it would be easier to get serviced and tech support for the arcs, they also hold their value well ,wish i new more about the helix!!?? either way its nice to have options :D

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Arc amps I am interested in is the xxk1500 and the xxk2500. As for the Helix, its the Esprit H4 and the H1000

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 1500XXK is a great amp. It puts out plenty of power, and since it is computer controlled you can use it with almost any VC configuration. A lot of people prefer the 2500 over the 1500 just because it is a solid state class A/B monster that puts out more power than the 1500, but the 1500 gets the job done just as well IMO.

What are you going to be powering?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2500 is for front stage and the 1500 will be for the subs... the 2500 bridged puts out too much power for what I need on the subs, so the 1500 fits my needs better

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own the 1500 XXK. If you are using it for sub duties, Ill say go for this. Highly efficient thing that puts out just a little less heat than my Class A/B amps that put out 200RMS.

But I am a little skeptical if using it for components. I dont know.
Anyway, grab the 1500 while you still can. Last I heard it has been discontinued.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Curious... what do you know that makes the DLS A series inferior to the amps you are considering...

I owned Helix HXA400MkII & HXA500MkII (Now Esprits)... I'll reserve my thoughts till you let me in the details ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would put the DLS ultimate amps on the same level as the above mentioned... With that in mind, I would just stick with what you have and use the money toward something else. You can always buy me goodies if $$$ is burning a hole in your pocket ;)

Dave

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I would go for the 2500 for any duty over the 1500 any day of the week, the 1500 is good for a D class but all D classes are substandard compared to a really good A/B for any purpose other than making power with a little less current drain. I have used many many D amps and will not do it again.

That said, if you are not in a hurry then consider the new line of Arcs coming out, three new ones being announced at CES, the SE is the top line and it will be very very inpressive;)

We are building our install around them now.

Rick

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
racerraul said:
Curious... what do you know that makes the DLS A series inferior to the amps you are considering...

I owned Helix HXA400MkII & HXA500MkII (Now Esprits)... I'll reserve my thoughts till you let me in the details ;)
I to am Curious. The A3, hmmm, not many better. Unless you are talking upgrade in 4 ohm stereo power, then I wouldn't say upgrade, but I need/want more power @ 4 ohm stereo. Then yes the 2500 has around 100 watts on the A3.

All of these amp are top notch. I agree the money could be better spent. else where.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this is my personal opinion, and may be only specific to my situation. I used to own the Arc 2100cxl (actually 3 of them) and the Arc 2500cxl. I had one 2100 bridged to each side for front stage duties and the 2500 was on the subs. I sold all 4 amps and bought the DLS A3s I have now. I do have to say that the DLS is a beauty, inside and out, but for some reason I am not seeing the same (or better for that matter) results in quality and sound reproduction. I know the 2100 bridged puts out more than the A3 does in stereo, but the loudness of the music is not my concern. I feel that I had cleaner sound with the Arcs. Now the xxk line is currently the top dog of Arc, so I figured they would sound even better than the cxl line. I liked those amps and regret selling them off, but thats just me. I tend to be on the patient side, so waiting a while wont hurt.

Now, I have never dealt with Helix, and I may be pulling a "parrot on the badwagon" but I always hear that they are the shiznits. Much like the fact that I have never driven a Ferrari Enzo, but I would have to say that it is a fawking fast car.

I am in no hurry, my plan is to have the new amps (whatever they may be) in by next summer. I am trying to get to CES in Vegas but looks like work will not permit me to this year. Would like to though for sure. If not to see all the new gear coming out, then at least for all the free pens and fridge magnets from the various booths, oh and the hot models too!

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions...

btw...if anyone needs a pair of kickarse amps, please buy my A3s....

·
Registered
556 Posts
ive been through the same situation grower,some years ago, as many amps as i tried i am a beliver that amps have their own personalities,good or bad is up to the user,however minute some seem to provide an higher stage width and hight,better dynamics etc. i better stop now i know ill get bashed for this one :D

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
AzGrower said:
Well this is my personal opinion, and may be only specific to my situation. I used to own the Arc 2100cxl (actually 3 of them) and the Arc 2500cxl. I had one 2100 bridged to each side for front stage duties and the 2500 was on the subs. I sold all 4 amps and bought the DLS A3s I have now. I do have to say that the DLS is a beauty, inside and out, but for some reason I am not seeing the same (or better for that matter) results in quality and sound reproduction. I know the 2100 bridged puts out more than the A3 does in stereo, but the loudness of the music is not my concern. I feel that I had cleaner sound with the Arcs. Now the xxk line is currently the top dog of Arc, so I figured they would sound even better than the cxl line. I liked those amps and regret selling them off, but thats just me. I tend to be on the patient side, so waiting a while wont hurt.

Now, I have never dealt with Helix, and I may be pulling a "parrot on the badwagon" but I always hear that they are the shiznits. Much like the fact that I have never driven a Ferrari Enzo, but I would have to say that it is a fawking fast car.

I am in no hurry, my plan is to have the new amps (whatever they may be) in by next summer. I am trying to get to CES in Vegas but looks like work will not permit me to this year. Would like to though for sure. If not to see all the new gear coming out, then at least for all the free pens and fridge magnets from the various booths, oh and the hot models too!

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions...

btw...if anyone needs a pair of kickarse amps, please buy my A3s....

Believe me I respect everyones opinion. I have own every one of the Arc's CXL and I loved all them. I was really crazy about my 6 2050's had with the crossovers removed. Now I will be honest about something, with having play with all the DLS Ultimate A line, I wll say the A2 and A4 are the best sounding out of the line. Not only I think this way. Some of the heads of Dls has ssid the same. That A4 is a very special amp. When I compare the A4 to the A3 it had a slight edge in transparency and was a little more spacious. the A3 has a slight edge in over all dynamics, a very slight edge. Now the A4 is just 2 A2's inside one case, with dual power supplies. I said all of that to say this about the A4, I will put this at the top of the muilt-channel amp food chain for sound. I will put it up against any multi-channel amp you can bring to to the table, Brax, Tru, Genesis, Sinfoni bring them on. I have found that the A3 is a outstanding midbass and sub amp. This is where is really shines.

Now just to drop a bug in your ear, the new RA line is top class. The RA20 is is something special. If I remember correctly last year and the EMMA finals the car the won best sounding car used had RA20's in it. Now that is all I will say. Yes I have used and compared them to some other amps.

dodgerblue said:
ive been through the same situation grower,some years ago, as many amps as i tried i am a beliver that amps have their own personalities,good or bad is up to the user,however minute some seem to provide an higher stage width and hight,better dynamics etc. i better stop now i know ill get bashed for this one :D
No bashing from me. I totally agree with you. So I take it we both will be getting bashed. :D

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, this is good stuff...making think I should try and tweak my tuning more before dismissing the amps. Dont get me wrong, I happen to think the DLS amps are very well built, and I respect what the amp can do, its very versatile by all means. Maybe its just the imaging...so I guess I need to work on that first (for the 5th time)

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
xcl=xxk;)

SE will take Arc into the Stratosphere:)

Have not used or listened to DLS much, no comment.

Rick

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here-I-Come said:
Believe me I respect everyones opinion. I have own every one of the Arc's CXL and I loved all them. I was really crazy about my 6 2050's had with the crossovers removed. Now I will be honest about something, with having play with all the DLS Ultimate A line, I wll say the A2 and A4 are the best sounding out of the line. Not only I think this way. Some of the heads of Dls has ssid the same. That A4 is a very special amp. When I compare the A4 to the A3 it had a slight edge in transparency and was a little more spacious. the A3 has a slight edge in over all dynamics, a very slight edge. Now the A4 is just 2 A2's inside one case, with dual power supplies. I said all of that to say this about the A4, I will put this at the top of the muilt-channel amp food chain for sound. I will put it up against any multi-channel amp you can bring to to the table, Brax, Tru, Genesis, Sinfoni bring them on. I have found that the A3 is a outstanding midbass and sub amp. This is where is really shines.

Now just to drop a bug in your ear, the new RA line is top class. The RA20 is is something special. If I remember correctly last year and the EMMA finals the car the won best sounding car used had RA20's in it. Now that is all I will say. Yes I have used and compared them to some other amps.

No bashing from me. I totally agree with you. So I take it we both will be getting bashed. :D

I know Scott Buwalda preferrred the A2's from the Ultimate line, in which the A4 is just a pair of A2's in the same case ;)

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts