DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am pondering a new amplifier for my front sound stage. I'm currently running a Focal FPD unit, with Dynaudio Esotar front driver / Scanspeak tweeter.

I a looking at either one of these amps for my front (active) stage, and wonder if anyone has comments. I'm leaning toward the Helix, but the Mosconi is also extremely attractive:

Helix H400X

Mosconi AS100.4

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like many things about the Focal Class D amp:
1. compact size
2. doesn't turn the trunk into a pizza oven
3. doesn't drain my battery, or kill my stock alternator

But it just seems to lack 'warmth'... I don't know how to describe it.
Before installing the Focal, I had the exact same setup, but was running a Zapco Reference Series, and it had a different (more natural) sound.
I guess I'm just thinking I need to go back to a Class A/B. Maybe it's all in my head...

·
Registered
17,884 Posts
I really like many things about the Focal Class D amp:
1. compact size
2. doesn't turn the trunk into a pizza oven
3. doesn't drain my battery, or kill my stock alternator

But it just seems to lack 'warmth'...
I don't know how to describe it. Before installing the Focal, I had the exact same setup, but was running a Zapco Reference Series, and it had a different (more natural) sound.
just trying to tune it to your liking. or maybe add one of Vic's tube pre-amps but throwing money is never the best idea

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Tune it properly. A new amp is not going to fix your issue without tuning.
Agree 100000% A new amp may sound a tad different, but if you're a critical listener, eventually you won't like something and think its the amp again.

I don't want to trigger the old debate as to whether amps actually sound different, but for the past 30 years, I've installed maybe 100 amps, and candidly the differences are minimal to my ears at least.

Spend the money on a DSP for a front active stage.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree 100000% A new amp may sound a tad different, but if you're a critical listener, eventually you won't like something and think its the amp again.

I don't want to trigger the old debate as to whether amps actually sound different, but for the past 30 years, I've installed maybe 100 amps, and candidly the differences are minimal to my ears at least.

Spend the money on a DSP for a front active stage.
You're probably right about the amps... thruth be told, the Focal amps I currently have DO sound amazing. I suspect that it's just a case of getting used to amazing, and then becoming critical about little things.

I see that I wasn't clear in my current setup... or, I simply didn't mention (but show it in my signature): I already have a DSP (Mosconi 6to8), and an active front stage.

I've spent hours tuning, time alignment, etc.

I suspect that I'm just getting used to the sound, and always looking for something better. You guys probably know what I'm talking about; you love the system for 6 months, then you start noticing things that you 'think' could be improved...

·
Registered
114 Posts
To be honest, helix would be my choice. I had a mosconi as 100.4, then went to the helix a4 and I couldn't be happier. I like the dynamics , and how it never seems to loose its composure. Things seem more controlled. And I've been switching things over. And Brax mx4 is next on the list.

·
Registered
641 Posts
What model is your Scanspeak tweeter?

So, I am pondering a new amplifier for my front sound stage. I'm currently running a Focal FPD unit, with Dynaudio Esotar front driver / Scanspeak tweeter.

I a looking at either one of these amps for my front (active) stage, and wonder if anyone has comments. I'm leaning toward the Helix, but the Mosconi is also extremely attractive:

Helix H400X

Mosconi AS100.4

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This post was from 5 years ago... I've been through 4 vehicles and countless different audio systems since then.

But to answer your question; I was running ScanSpeak D3004/6020-00 tweeters, at the time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This post was from 5 years ago... I've been through 4 vehicles and countless different audio systems since then.

But to answer your question; I was running ScanSpeak D3004/6020-00 tweeters, at the time.
So the Sinfoni's you have now are your favorite. Was the Scan D3004 #2 in your book?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts