DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I picked up my new toy today and finished my first real install. I have a few more things to button up and clean up but the basics are in place. The amps and processor sit in the hatch below the deck in the spare tire well. As much as I tried to clean some of the dust it just kept coming back, darn garages and winter weather :mad:

The C-Fours are new which power Brax GL1, GL3 and GL6 in the sail panel and front doors. The C-One powers two JL audio 10w3v3 in a sealed enclosure all powered by a Pioneer avh‑4500nex. I can load pictures of my speaker install when it is warm and light out. Initial impressions is pretty awesome so far with a basic tune in place.

Mobile Solutions Canada, specifically Chris and Larry have been amazing to work with and a big shout out to them for there help and support.

I am one happy audiogal :cool::love::)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
NICE amps... NICE choice of amp size ,,,LOL,,,and even NICER work!!!
I am curious how much air space you left underneath them for ventilation and also how they are held down ??

Do you have a pic of the power distribution block that feeds the amp as well...or do the power cables for each one run all the way to the battery terminal?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NICE amps... NICE choice of amp size ,,,LOL,,,and even NICER work!!!
I am curious how much air space you left underneath them for ventilation and also how they are held down ??

Do you have a pic of the power distribution block that feeds the amp as well...or do the power cables for each one run all the way to the battery terminal?
Thanks, ya I am so excited about the install and sound quality.

The amps are held down by the supplied screws. The amps sit on rubber washers and I put a plastic washer between the screw head and the amps to prevent scratches on the heat sinks. The amp rack is an Mdf board that is painted so no fabric to interfere with the thermal management,

The power distribution is in the bottom right corner. A 1 into 4 power block is used, 1/0 cable feeds the block from the battery. 4 gauge cables from the block to the amps. Each amp is on a 100 amp anl fuse. A 250 and inline fuse is at the battery. There is also a 4 to 1 ground block used with the same cable sizes utilized.

After installing the Ultra, I took the car out for a drive to look at Christmas light and listen to tunes with a friend and it sounds great so far. It was also the first day with the amps. I was waiting for the DSP to arrive.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
The amps are held down by the supplied screws. The amps sit on rubber washers and I put a plastic washer between the screw head and the amps to prevent scratches on the heat sinks. The amp rack is an Mdf board that is painted so no fabric to interfere with the thermal management,

The power distribution is in the bottom right corner. A 1 into 4 power block is used, 1/0 cable feeds the block from the battery. 4 gauge cables from the block to the amps. Each amp is on a 100 amp anl fuse. A 250 and inline fuse is at the battery. There is also a 4 to 1 ground block used with the same cable sizes utilized.
Well done !!! Especially with adding the ground distribution block to help prevent ground loop gremlins!!!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
That is super neat!! Kudos :)

Sent from my CPH1871 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudioGal

·
1,690 Posts
Very nice equipment and install. Well done.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guy's. I have chased grounding issues and numerous other things all the way up to 50 GHz in the RF world doing some military defense stuff in a previous lifetime so I definitely appreciate a properly planned setup:)

I am super lucky with the Ultra. I have the first production Ultra to be sold in the North American market thanks to an awesome local shop/ distributor. I am currently playing with the virtual channel mapping and ACO functions, pretty cool stuff!

I am also attaching a few picks of the front of the car I took today. I did the full install and fabrication so far and it has been a lot of fun and leanings :geek:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Great job on everything! Is that Calgary snow in the background?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
^^^ LOVING the simple speaker layout with the tweeter placed vertically over and close to the mid and with both of them flush to the baffle instead of "pod mounted !!! IMO, JUST the way it should be done and likely easier to tune with less processing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great job on everything! Is that Calgary snow in the background?
It sure is and freezing temps to go with it!

It sort of looks like the tweeter/mid enclosures are tilted down (camera distortion or something). They are not. They are actually aligned vertically with the Mid-bass'es in the doors on the same vertical axis so the imaging, sound staging with and depth including the frequency balance is mirror to mirror excellent.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ LOVING the simple speaker layout with the tweeter placed vertically over and close to the mid and with both of them flush to the baffle instead of "pod mounted !!! IMO, JUST the way it should be done and likely easier to tune with less processing.
Yes, exactly and that was the design goal. As I stated above they are also aligned in the same vertical axis as the midbass drivers in the doors. I am super pleased. I can actually move my head around quite a bit without significant changes in listening experience and the passenger gets a pretty good experience for free because all the drivers are vertically aligned.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is an amazing looking and powerful set up. Very clean install.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
That is an amazing looking and powerful set up. Very clean install.
Sorry to say this, but I just noticed we have a British rock band legend on here commenting on this system. Lol.

back to topic. Got any fabrication pics for the mid and tweet pods?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to say this, but I just noticed we have a British rock band legend on here commenting on this system. Lol.

back to topic. Got any fabrication pics for the mid and tweet pods?
Lol, I love DIrestraits and Mark Knoplfe'rs work and his work with Chet and others!!

I do have a couple. I did not take many because I did not think anybody would be interested and they where a sand box testing exercise so to speak,. I did not expect them to work, lol!!

What I was experimenting with and wanting to test was some design assumptions and build parameters

1. The tweeter and Mid needed to be as vertically aligned as possible to minimize comb filtering and time alignment issues.
2. Needed to be placed as wide as possible and on=axis to the listening positions.
3. Aligned in the same vertical axis and plane as the midbass drivers in the doors .
4. Each speaker front baffle is directed to the opposite shoulder to minimize as much as possible side window issues.
5. I wanted the enclosures to be wood and sealed. I do not buy fiberglass speakers for my house so I took a mini monitor design approach.
6. Mid and tweeter needed to share the same mounting plane and enclosure and mounted as close to each other as possible.
7. The enclosures are designed in a composite methodology meaning I have sandwiched layers to dampen and stiffen the sidewalls as well as mass loading. The inside of the enclosures have 2-4 layers of CLD material applied. Enclosures are filled with wool and poly fill . A single layer of CLD is applied on the outside of the enclosures to further dampen the walls and add mass.

The enclosures are stiff and heavy and very non resonant. with no attributable vocal or resonant sound which is what I was hoping for. The Brax's are very fast and transparent sounding drivers so any enclosure distortions is evident.

The speakers and enclosures have a very open sounding non enclosure type of sound sort of like and electrostatic speaker such as a Martin Logan or Quad ESL type of thing.

So like I said it this is a sand box experiment that iterated a bit and here I am :geek::)

First template and initial wood frame to build from. The angles, depth and position had a couple of basic design parameters.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So.... that's about it. Not super fancy like what some of you guy's do . The Speakers are covered in speaker grill cloth at the moment I will address that next year maybe.

Oh I was not after a Stealth look, lol. I want max SQ as my value equation outcome.

So be kind this is my first crack at car audio as I really like the multifaceted aspects of the hobby and the ability to work on a multitude of skills and sand box experiments.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So I assume you sanded the corners of the pods or did you put some wood filler on them. Can’t really tell. I love them. Those are awesome.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts