DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find anything in here on it, so thought I'd share.
Yes Im the guy who brought it up on FB in 'that' SQ forum.

In a nutshell:

Helix's new DSP amp combo.. Highlights..
- Something close to DSP Pro processing quality in 8 channels
- 6-channel amp with actual power, unusual for such a piece
- Sub channels RCA out to a sub amp (processed).
- Optical input like their other DSP's

Badassness in one box.

Discuss...

P SIX DSP

The 6-channel amplifier P SIX DSP not only delivers loads of clean power and a top-notch DSP processor, it also comes with a completely new output stage concept that combines the benefits of class D amplifiers with the sound quality of class AB technology. Our unique “Class Ultra D” concept eliminates the negative influence of the indispensable output filters with a revolutionary concept that incorporates an analog feedback path back to the digital domain.

The result: Incredible damping factor (up to 1,000) even at 20 kHz, no load dependency of the frequency response and lowest possible THD for unparalleled sound quality. Almost needless to mention are the numerous input options including SPDIF optical and a HEC (HELIX Extension Card) slot for e.g. Bluetooth® audio streaming or other additional functions.

The P SIX DSP incorporates the same ultimate audio DSP with 64 Bit resolution and unbelievable processing power as HELIX DSP PRO. Two additional RCA outputs allow extending the system with external amplifiers up to eight processed channels. Despite this impressive bundle of engineering know-how the P SIX DSP shows up with a typical, clean design that has remained very compact for easiest integration.

FEATURES

New “Class Ultra D” concept which combines the sound quality of class AB technology with the benefits of class D amplifiers
Cutting-edge, extremely powerful “fixed point” Audio DSP with 64 Bit resolution and 1.2 billion MAC operations per second
Six speaker outputs with up to 215 Watts RMS into 2 Ohms
Two processed RCA outputs
Extremely high damping factor (> 1,000)
Inputs: 6 x RCA, 6 x Highlevel with up to 20V RMS input *sensitivity, optical SPDIF input
HELIX Extension Card slot (HEC) for additional input / output modules like Bluetooth® Audio Streaming
Compact design with low heat dissipation thanks to *extraordinary efficiency

SPECS

RMS power:
Measured acc. to CEA 2006-A
- Channel A - F @ 4 Ohms:120 Watts per channel (≤ 1% THD+N)
- Channel C - F @ 2 Ohms:215 Watts per channel (≤ 1% THD+N)

Inputs:
6 x RCA / Cinch
6 x Highlevel speaker input
1 x Optical SPDIF (12 - 96 kHz)
1 x Remote In

Input sensitivity:
RCA / Cinch 2 - 4 Volts or 4 - 8 Volts
Highlevel 5 - 10 Volts or 10 - 20 Volts

Outputs:
6 x Speaker
2 x RCA / Cinch
2 x Remote Out

Output voltage RCA:3 Volts RMS

Frequency response:20 Hz - 22,000 Hz

DSP resolution:64 Bit

DSP power:295 MHz 1.2 billion MAC operations per second

Sampling rate:48 kHz

Signal converters:
A/D: BurrBrown
D/A: BurrBrown

Signal-to-noise ratio
(A-weighted):105 dB (digital input) 100 dB (analog input)

Distortion (THD):< 0.01 %

Damping factor:> 1,000

Input impedance RCA / Cinch:64 kOhms

Input impedance highlevel:30 Ohms or 64 kOhms

Operating voltage:9.6 - 18 Volts (max. 5 sec. down to 6 Volts)

Additional features:Control Input, USB, HEC slot

Dimensions (H x W x D):50 x 250 x 190 mm / 1.97 x 9.84 x 7.48”

LINK

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
this is very cool!

one concer though 1 percent thd ratings? that means clean power is likely to be a good bit less than rated? am I missing something?

also doesn't say if channels are bridgeable.

Can the hex remote input thing have some kidn of controller for it? for preset/volume?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is very cool!

one concer though 1 percent thd ratings? that means clean power is likely to be a good bit less than rated? am I missing something?
Might have something to do with their newfangled class-D setup. Dunno.

also doesn't say if channels are bridgeable.
I'm gonna guess you can't. Yeah I know.. A little let-down.

Can the hex remote input thing have some kidn of controller for it? for preset/volume?
There's the current remote which is basic one switch, two-knob, configured by the software. Or a new "Director" remote they're coming out with which looks bangin', in comparison. I have the basic remote as I wanted to try non-volume'd optical from an idevice output to hdmi, then converted optical.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
nonbridgable limites the market quite a bit imo since everyone is so power crazy..myself included to a certain extent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bridgeable or not, that's still a lot of flexibility in a single box that fits under most seats! Whoah! What is the price point and when are they available? Who are the US dealers?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh.. Whether interested or not. I got reply back from Kicker. Yes Kicker and Helix in the same thread.. I had just asked about their "similar" product, Q-Class amps with built in DSP. They're shipping now. Should be on shelves soon. That's another one I wanna read reviews on. I think their tool is bluetooth capable on iDevice (think being the keyword), and it controls multiple Q amps. I'm sure Helix > Kicker Q but ya know.. I love new gear, regardless, for a fair shake. I suspect they did pretty well with the Q amps over what we normal expect from Kicker, to attract more than the bassheads with these amps.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
its an interesting piece for sure...but do people who run DSP really want onboard amplification? Do the users of the MS8 use the onboard amps? My guess is most do not.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Brax nox is a little more expensive and only 4 ch with 6ch dsp. It has class AB amps though..

·
11,394 Posts
The Brax is like 5 grand though.

Bridging...wonder if the DSP side of things could combine channels? If not, then there is why you couldn't bridge the amp side of things. It wouldn't (to me) make sense to buy this if you were going to need or want to bridge the amp channels...then you wouldn't need all of the processing in it.

So I guess amps with processors might be going a way for processors with amps in them?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
3.05 is the software for this amp :)

S

·
0 Posts
Yes, plus most of the other DSP based products. The new release, version b I think, will upgrade most other products.... including the lesser know Brax Nox4-dsp. ...

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
The Brax is like 5 grand though.

Bridging...wonder if the DSP side of things could combine channels? If not, then there is why you couldn't bridge the amp side of things. It wouldn't (to me) make sense to buy this if you were going to need or want to bridge the amp channels...then you wouldn't need all of the processing in it.

So I guess amps with processors might be going a way for processors with amps in them?
street price is half that. perhaps helix is for less demanding customers on tighter budget.
BTW where does it says that channels unbridgeable?

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
its an interesting piece for sure...but do people who run DSP really want onboard amplification? Do the users of the MS8 use the onboard amps? My guess is most do not.
MS8 using el cheapo chip amps for all 8 channels, similar to what used in stock HU. 18W on good day with 10%THD. Not really comparable.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's close to exactly what I'd want for a new vehicle. Give me 3 + 1, amp, full DSP, summing and factory integration in one box so I can stuff it up under the dash somewhere. Eliminate the need for a Sunday afternoon DIY'er to gut the car, fiddle with mounting 2 or 3 amps and run cable except maybe speaker wire for a sub. Replace the factory drivers... boom, you're done.

Right now I'm looking at 2 MiniDSP's and two digital amps to do the same in a car that I have no interest in pulling apart or taking up space in the cargo area.

JBL brushed the surface with the MS-A1004 but stopped a bit short. And, of course, there's the MS8.

What I'd really like is a line tiny amps that each contained its own "MiniDSP" and interface. Let me buy two of your four channel amps, or one two channel and one mono, or whatever, and daisy chain their DSP's. Put it all into one UI.

Add and amp >>>> plug it into the rest >>>> add it to the app you already have running on your tablet.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I ran rear fill off an ms-8 and it was actually plenty for rears on the ms-8's internal amps. Worked good. This helix piece I think though could rock.

1 - 20 of 340 Posts