DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes sir!
By solid unit i mean it performs well

Super convenient for its size, i really like the idea of having around 240 watts RMS going to my midbass from it by using a 2ohm DVC speaker with a independent channel to each coil and still have enough channels for the rest of the 3-way plus rear fill and even a center channel, all of it from a small enough footprint to install under my driver’s seat..

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i've seen testing on them and they perform with very low distortion.. and the internals are top notch, very high construction and part quality.

Only thing is you may be a bit limited on midbass power if you have drivers that are not particuarly sensitive.. midrange and tweets its way more than enough power... for midbass you just need to get a set of drivers that have decent efficiency and the 70 or 80 watts it makes will be plenty. So I would just keep that in mind when speaker shopping.. or just find some 2 ohm ones.. Blam, Gladen, both make some excellent 2 and 3 ohm choices.. but if you get 4 ohm drivers that are not very efficient.. you could be getting close to clipping at high volumes or during transient peaks... modeling the drivers in WinISD on SPL mode will demonstrate this.. Some drivers I model hit 100db with 40 watts.. and some take 80 watts..

·
Premium Member
2008 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've seen testing on them and they perform with very low distortion.. and the internals are top notch, very high construction and part quality.

Only thing is you may be a bit limited on midbass power if you have drivers that are not particuarly sensitive.. midrange and tweets its way more than enough power... for midbass you just need to get a set of drivers that have decent efficiency and the 70 or 80 watts it makes will be plenty. So I would just keep that in mind when speaker shopping.. or just find some 2 ohm ones.. Blam, Gladen, both make some excellent 2 and 3 ohm choices.. but if you get 4 ohm drivers that are not very efficient.. you could be getting close to clipping at high volumes or during transient peaks... modeling the drivers in WinISD on SPL mode will demonstrate this.. Some drivers I model hit 100db with 40 watts.. and some take 80 watts..
I have Blam Signature Series.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would the Helix v12 be enough to push Audio Frog GB10, GB25, GB60 and Gs62 or would it be better to go with a HELIX P SIX DSP MK2 for the Audio Frog GB10, GB25, GB60 and run the GS62 off the head unit?

·
Premium Member
2008 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would the Helix v12 be enough to push Audio Frog GB10, GB25, GB60 and Gs62 or would it be better to go with a HELIX P SIX DSP MK2 for the Audio Frog GB10, GB25, GB60 and run the GS62 off the head unit?
I don't know I am trying to find out mor infornmyself on this unit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just curious why a V12 for GB10,25,60 & GS62?
V8 would do the same thing for this setup..

75 watts is definitely more than enough power for mids, tweeters and rear fill but i seen some people on here argue it’s not quite enough for midbass even though Andy stated 75W is good enough for a GB60 (So you can come to your own conclusion on that)

I personally choose to go with a Audiofrog GS8nd2 and run two channels from the V12 to each for around 240 watts (Not sure if this an option for you)

Did you already purchased your speakers and can you fit a 8” in your vehicle?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Currently the truck has 2 1/2" in the dash, 6x9 in the front doors and 6.5 in the rear. I do not have room for 8". I was also concerned about not having the ablity to power mid drivers to optimial levels... I agree the v8 would be enough channels but I am back to 75 RMS vs 120 RMS between the two models of
amps / DPS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Question? Are you saying that the channels on a v12 can be bridged to output more than 75 RMS per Channel?

"I personally choose to go with a Audiofrog GS8nd2 and run two channels from the V12 to each for around 240 watts (Not sure if this an option for you) "

I thought I read this was not possible

·
Registered
226 Posts
Currently the truck has 2 1/2" in the dash, 6x9 in the front doors and 6.5 in the rear. I do not have room for 8". I was also concerned about not having the ablity to power mid drivers to optimial levels... I agree the v8 would be enough channels but I am back to 75 RMS vs 120 RMS between the two models of
amps / DPS
If your truck has 6x9’s you can fit 8’s

·
Registered
16 Posts
Question? Are you saying that the channels on a v12 can be bridged to output more than 75 RMS per Channel @ 4 ohm?

"I personally choose to go with a Audiofrog GS8nd2 and run two channels from the V12 to each for around 240 watts (Not sure if this an option for you) "

I thought I read this was not possible and I thought the v12 at max could only out put 160 W RMS output power per channel into 2 ohm

·
Registered
226 Posts
Question? Are you saying that the channels on a v12 can be bridged to output more than 75 RMS per Channel?

I thought I read this was not possible
Correct, it is not possible to “bridge” but if you get a dual voice coil speaker like the GS8 you can run one independent channel to each voice coil. So, Not “bridging”

And being that each voice coil on the GS8 is 2ohm you get 120W per channel from the V12 vs 75W at 4ohms

·
Registered
16 Posts
Correct, it is not possible to “bridge” but if you get a dual voice coil speaker like the GS8 you can run one independent channel to each voice coil. So, Not “bridging”

And being that each voice coil on the GS8 is 2ohm you get 120W per channel from the V12 vs 75W at 4ohms

Understood and this is something to consider... Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I don't know I am trying to find out mor infornmyself on this unit.
The unit is excellent, the p6dsp is a better amplifier for me, a little more power and less channels, if you need six channels plus two preouts I’d use the p6dsp, if you need 8 channels plus two preouts the V8 is the kiddy, if you need 12 channels plus two preouts the v12 is the kiddy

On a budget there’s a pair of ten channel dsps, with four and six channels of amp (M4dsp and M6dsp) that can be bridged, but the dsp section isn’t as well specced as the V and P ranges (though they can’t be bridged like the M range of dsp/amps)

If it was for the ultimate front end I’d definitely go separate amps and a dsp…

All the helix dsps run the exact same software so tuning is the exact same with the brax dsp or an m4dsp 👍🏼

·
Registered
19,637 Posts
I use em all the time in my shop. Great amps/dsp

·
Registered
4 Posts
The unit is excellent, the p6dsp is a better amplifier for me, a little more power and less channels, if you need six channels plus two preouts I’d use the p6dsp, if you need 8 channels plus two preouts the V8 is the kiddy, if you need 12 channels plus two preouts the v12 is the kiddy

On a budget there’s a pair of ten channel dsps, with four and six channels of amp (M4dsp and M6dsp) that can be bridged, but the dsp section isn’t as well specced as the V and P ranges (though they can’t be bridged like the M range of dsp/amps)

If it was for the ultimate front end I’d definitely go separate amps and a dsp…

All the helix dsps run the exact same software so tuning is the exact same with the brax dsp or an m4dsp 👍🏼
What are the limitations for you in the DSP section of the M DSP’s? Feature differences or SNR specs etc?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts