DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Helix WiFi controller

13K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  kennyq45 
#1 ·
Any info on this and what it can do?

See it’s in the software but can’t find it anywhere to buy and not on the AF website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The WiFi controller plugs into the control port on the new DSPs (Mini, .3, and Brax DSP) and all new DSPs to follow. It allows you to program the DSP using WiFi so there is no more need for a USB connection. It works quite well with no perceptible lag.

Aside from the programming with the software there will soon be apps available for Android and iPhone to allow Director type control for the connected DSP. This will allow the phone to be used to switch sources, presets, sub level and all other functions that the Director currently controls.

#4 ·
The WiFi controller plugs into the control port on the new DSPs (Mini, .3, and Brax DSP) and all new DSPs to follow. It allows you to program the DSP using WiFi so there is no more need for a USB connection. It works quite well with no perceptible lag.

Aside from the programming with the software there will soon be apps available for Android and iPhone to allow Director type control for the connected DSP. This will allow the phone to be used to switch sources, presets, sub level and all other functions that the Director currently controls.

Sweet :)

Any timescales on the apps?

What is the expected price of the WiFi controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Don't think so. This is what Doug told me via email.

The Helix WiFi Control interface is not officially released yet, although I have been testing it for some time now.

I can tell you that for it to function it needs to be connected to a DSP with the new ACO platform. At tis point that is the DSP MINI, DSP., and Brax DSP. All new DSP products that are released will have the new ACO, but unfortunately all older product will be incompatible.

#14 ·
Unless your DSP/amp has the new ACO feature, then no. It is not compatible to use with the Director either, just the URC.3 remote.

The phone app does not seem to do much. On Audiotec Fisher's website it says "DSP remote control of additional features such as volume control of all sources, volume control of the subwoofer, source selection, tone control and switching between sound setups via Android™, iOS and Web-App for all DSP devices with Advanced CoProcessor (ACO)"

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/brax/accessories/wifi-control

So no adjusting the inputs and output setup, gains, eq, delays, or crossovers from the phone app. You still need to use a Wifi compatible laptop or tablet and DSP-PCtool version 4.5 or higher to do all fine tuning.

#26 ·
Oddly mine went doolally last week, just tweaking some crossovers and all of a sudden the audio went off and wouldnt return, tried power cycling the system, rebooting the pc, all the usual stuff and it still wouldn’t have it, only when I plugged in a usb lead did it then spring back to life 😒 I will try reflashing it’s firmware, it’s been in a few months now, but it just decided to be dum and act the idiot...

#27 ·
Geez I wish we could get a phone app to tune the Helix. Not EVERYTHING, in fact what I really want is just the ablity to mute and adjust gain on each channel. Everything else is a bonus. But doesnt' sound like that will be happening.

Looked at the Zapco because it does have a phone app, I just don't have 100% confidence in their support/reliability, not sure if they support all-pass filters and phase adjustments, and already have good knowledge on the Helix.

For some reason I thought MiniDSP was doing this but I guess not. My one car has a P99 and I so love being able to make adjustments on the fly without dragging out the laptop.

#28 · (Edited)
Geez I wish we could get a phone app to tune the Helix. Not EVERYTHING, in fact what I really want is just the ablity to mute and adjust gain on each channel. Everything else is a bonus. But doesnt' sound like that will be happening.

Looked at the Zapco because it does have a phone app, I just don't have 100% confidence in their support/reliability, not sure if they support all-pass filters and phase adjustments, and already have good knowledge on the Helix.

For some reason I thought MiniDSP was doing this but I guess not. My one car has a P99 and I so love being able to make adjustments on the fly without dragging out the laptop.
The phone app does everything the director does apparently.

I worked on my car stereo tonight. And by work I mean plugged in all the cabling I need to get the USB HEC stage up and running as a source, 50% successfully adjusted the settings on my URC.3 (Got the volume knob switched to master vol not just digital but can't get the sub vol knob to be a master for all inputs just digital) and struggled with the Helix DSP software which I don't find intuitive at all. So I have all the cabling to run kenwood head unit, digital coax and digital USB into the Ultra. I've got an optical cable plugged in too in case I ever need it but I'm not trying to get that to go live at the moment. But I am yet to get the USB HEC input to work. 2 inputs out of three ain't bad I suppose.

Fark and I have the WIFI module hooked up but can't get the smartphone app to connect to the Ultra, the phone app recognises the Ultra, and it tells me I need to use the DSP PC tool to switch the connection on, but I'm buggered if I can find the change I need to make on the laptop. .

The inputs that do work sound completely awesome though. It is interesting how much better the digital coax sounds over the head unit. I can put the same CD in the kenwood (which is connected by low level outputs) and that CD ripped lossless onto my A&K DAP, and the coax out of the A&K DAP sounds so much better than playing the CD in the head unit. And it is kenwood's top single din head unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.