DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello diymobileaudio users,

I recently started a project on my jetta sportwagen which has ten speakers at the moment. I want to change their location so I will need to make baffles. Anybody here willing to make eight baffles of varying sizes with rounded corners?

John

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You can make your own pretty easily. Don't need anything more than a jigsaw you can get for $25 and a 2'x4' sheet of MDF you can get from home depot for like $7. They won't be pretty and shapely like the ones made with a router but they still work and nobody's gonna see them anyway behind your doors.

If your just set against making them yourself, Sonic Electronics sells them.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I think the consensus here is that hdpe is the much more preferred material for door baffles. Just a suggestion. I'd offer to make you some by I'm not home this week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check out MJG Auto Innovations adapters. I bought some for my front doors on my 2012 A4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to do 1" 15/16 rings for tweets so the jigsaw wouldn't be precise enough. But thanks for the suggestion. I might actually get a router. I'm just afraid that the tool bits and little add-ons that I'll need to make my rounded corners and recessed cuts might end up costing a lot.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Great, what is hdpe?
High density polyethylene. Easiest place to get it locally (besides a plastic supplier) is a kitchen supplier or a store similar to Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They make the hard plastic white or black cutting boards out of HDPE so that is why they are common in kitchen supply stores. And you can use a plastics glue from the hardware store to glue multiple layers together if you ne d it thicker.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I need to do 1" 15/16 rings for tweets so the jigsaw wouldn't be precise enough. But thanks for the suggestion. I might actually get a router. I'm just afraid that the tool bits and little add-ons that I'll need to make my rounded corners and recessed cuts might end up costing a lot.
A lot of my decisions start with it only costs X but when I get the accessories its XXX. :eek:

Regarding a router, most won't do a circle that small with a circle jig. You'd have to have a circle already the correct size that you'd then follow with a patterning bit. Likely the best solution for your tweeter ring is to get a hole saw. You'll likely need to go with the 1-7/8" size and then use a half-round file to make it 1-15/16". Hole saw would likely be $10-15. Or you could look for a Forster bit but those are harder to find locally, especially in that size. A paddle bit could work too but get the one with the little screw head as regular paddle bits have a tendency to wander.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
A lot of my decisions start with it only costs X but when I get the accessories its XXX. :eek:

Regarding a router, most won't do a circle that small with a circle jig. You'd have to have a circle already the correct size that you'd then follow with a patterning bit. Likely the best solution for your tweeter ring is to get a hole saw. You'll likely need to go with the 1-7/8" size and then use a half-round file to make it 1-15/16". Hole saw would likely be $10-15. Or you could look for a Forster bit but those are harder to find locally, especially in that size. A paddle bit could work too but get the one with the little screw head as regular paddle bits have a tendency to wander.
I use the perfect circle jig, from mobile solutions. Infinite adjustment from like 3/4-30". It's great, but not fast. Takes a few extra minutes to set up than a jasper does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts