DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created a post a bit back asking about improving Alpine SPX 170 pro mid-bass output.
received a range of responses.
After trying to EQ the heck out of them, Adding more sound deadener to already well treated doors with minimal improvement of the mid-bass, Down the rabbit hole I went looking for a possible replacement.
I ended up picking up a pair of Stevens SA-6 Mids. I swapped the driver side speaker first and after connecting & attaching the speaker to the door i had to give it a listen.
Set the eq to Flat, turned off the sub and then played Phil Collins "I Don't care any more" (i had just listened to it). The intro drumming, from the fresh out the box SA6,WOW HELLO MIDBASS!!! I played a few other tests songs before I buttoned up the drivers door and did the passenger door. It did not sound bad, the SA 6 in one door and the SPX in the other, The spx mid's besides lacking solid mid-bass, don't sound bad.
After installing the passenger side SA6 I again played "i don't care any more", I could feel the drums even more than i could earlier, then played a few more songs, Van Halen Hot for teacher, Rush YYZ, Dire Straights Money for Nothing, song after song the smile on my face got bigger and bigger.
brand new, not broken in, Flat EQ, they sound great.
Extremely happy.
Next up was a better enclosure for the W6 than what JL specs fpr the w6. The mid-bass upgrade coupled with the new sub enclosure. AWWW YEA!!
i'll save that for the update to my subwoofer post from a few months back.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I need to pull the interior, remove existing RCA's, install DSP, run new RCA's, and re-set the amp gains. But with how the system is sounding im not really in a rush like i was. LOL

· Registered
37 Posts
I created a post a bit back asking about improving Alpine SPX 170 pro mid-bass output.
After trying to EQ the heck out of them, Adding more sound deadener to already well treated doors with minimal improvement of the mid-bass, Down the rabbit hole I went looking for a possible replacement.
I ended up picking up a pair of Stevens SA-6 Mids. I swapped the driver side speaker first and after connecting & attaching the speaker to the door i had to give it a listen.
Set the eq to Flat, turned off the sub and then played Phil Collins "I Don't care any more" (i had just listened to it). The intro drumming, from the fresh out the box SA6,WOW HELLO MIDBASS!!! I played a few other tests songs before I buttoned up the drivers door and did the passenger door. It did not sound bad, the SA 6 in one door and the SPX in the other, The spx mid's besides lacking solid mid-bass, don't sound bad.
After installing the passenger side SA6 I again played "i don't care any more", I could feel the drums even more than i could earlier, then played a few more songs, Van Halen Hot for teacher, Rush YYZ, Dire Straights Money for Nothing, song after song the smile on my face got bigger and bigger.
Extremely happy.
Next up was a better enclosure for the W6 than what JL specs fpr the w6. The mid-bass upgrade coupled with the new sub enclosure. AWWW YEA!!
Great that you found your sweet spot. Respect for your song choices.

· Registered
395 Posts
I wish i could fit 8's, or fit two 6.5s per door..
I was going to do 2 6.5s in ea door but a couple buddies told me to do 1 8. I'm thinking 2 6.5s of proper drivers would have been a better choice.

Back many many moons ago, I ran 2 6.5s(A/D/S AL6) in ea door of my single cab truck and they had such strong bass/ midbass it could take your breath away literally. I've been searching for that with no such luck yet. I think part of the issue is this streaming crap. I even use lossless music some of it's good, some seems poor. Back when I only had CD's, never an issue. doesn't make sense to me.
I'm also currently working with a newer crewcab truck, so things aren't equal.

anyway, having the room to run larger or more speakers is definitely important, lol.
I'd say 2 8's in ea door would put a smile on my face. My current truck is just a test vehicle until I build my project truck.

· Registered
2006 DOB Mustang GT
86 Posts
Extremely happy.
now thats my kinda music.

· Registered
2006 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L - Seeing how good I can make cheap components sound.
599 Posts
Extremely happy.
I'm in you're sweet, sweet boat man. About 2 weeks ago I replaced a pair of Infinity Primus 6x9 components with a pair of Kenwood 7" components without changing anything else in my front doors. Holy hell, the difference was immense. I high pass filtered them at 50hz 6db/octave. Jeez their bass output is impressive. This is comparing them to a Diamond Audio 3-way setup that retails for $550 that I thought played bass well.

These $200 components play bass so well that I sometimes forget that I don't have my subs installed yet. When I played them for my friend he just perked his head up and asked "You don't have subs playing at all?" I can't wait to hear how they blend with my subs!

In my opinion, being blown away by a speaker purchase is one of the best feelings in car audio. I'm on cloud nine with you my friend.

· Registered
130 Posts
Hey SkiZZD,

Would you mind posting some more impressions about the SA6s please as I am seriously considering the active set as the GB60s are a bit out of my price range atm. Do you have some pics of your install? What high-pass and low-pass filters are you using for them? Would you describe the mid-bass region as 'snappy', 'tight' etc? Where in the vehicle do you have the tweeters installed and how is the integration between the SA6s and your tweeters?

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi @JahRah79 ,
I am only using the SA6 Mid, the Alpine SPX 170 mid as clean and nice as it sounds, did not produce a solid mid-bass in my car doors for my liking.
Currently being run passive. Tweeters are located above the mids in the stock location in the doors. Car is an 06 Subaru STi.

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and have not had enough seat/listening time to give you a proper/accurate answer on the Mid-Bas Region. i also need to dial in the EQ,

My impression on how they Sound so far, with a flat EQ they sound better than the Alpines did with a flat EQ (that i bet doesn't help you) and hello drums. minor adjustments and mid-bass sounds better and more accurate.

When i asked what i should cross them at this is what Stevens said, "70 hz 24 db high pass for SA6 and up to 4500 hz if desired".

I need to get pics of them installed. I wasn't thinking of pics when i was installing them. I will be ordering new speaker rings and can snap pics then.

· Registered
2006 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L - Seeing how good I can make cheap components sound.
599 Posts
Hi @JahRah79 ,
I am only using the SA6 Mid, the Alpine SPX 170 mid as clean and nice as it sounds, did not produce a solid mid-bass in my car doors for my liking.
Currently being run passive. Tweeters are located above the mids in the stock location in the doors. Car is an 06 Subaru STi.

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and have not had enough seat/listening time to give you a proper/accurate answer on the Mid-Bas Region. i also need to dial in the EQ,

My impression on how they Sound so far, with a flat EQ they sound better than the Alpines did with a flat EQ (that i bet doesn't help you) and hello drums. minor adjustments and mid-bass sounds better and more accurate.

When i asked what i should cross them at this is what Stevens said, "70 hz 24 db high pass for SA6 and up to 4500 hz if desired".

I need to get pics of them installed. I wasn't thinking of pics when i was installing them. I will be ordering new speaker rings and can snap pics then.
Did you dynamat the crap out of the doors? that makes all the difference in the world

Reactions: SkiZZD

· Registered
902 Posts
I'm in you're sweet, sweet boat man. About 2 weeks ago I replaced a pair of Infinity Primus 6x9 components with a pair of Kenwood 7" components without changing anything else in my front doors. Holy hell, the difference was immense. I high pass filtered them at 50hz 6db/octave. Jeez their bass output is impressive. This is comparing them to a Diamond Audio 3-way setup that retails for $550 that I thought played bass well.

These $200 components play bass so well that I sometimes forget that I don't have my subs installed yet. When I played them for my friend he just perked his head up and asked "You don't have subs playing at all?" I can't wait to hear how they blend with my subs!

In my opinion, being blown away by a speaker purchase is one of the best feelings in car audio. I'm on cloud nine with you my friend.
I recently bought a set of the same 7" you have along with other 5.25" Kenwood components. Still working on the installation but I feel that both sets are great for the money. Would be interested in hearing/seeing more of your installation.

· Registered
130 Posts

Attachments

· Registered
130 Posts
Very clean. What plastic and fastners did you use to cover the door holes?
Thanks HumanDrumMachine! I believe it was 1/8 inch abs sheet plastic (can't remember if it actually abs or another type as I bought the sheets years ago). They have cld on the side that is facing the inside of the door and offcourse the focal deadening on the inner skin side so deadening on boths sides. I used M5 threaded inserts with M5 screws.

Doing doors properly is probably one of the most time consuming and PITA things about car audio but it is an absolute must.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you dynamat the crap out of the doors? that makes all the difference in the world
Subaru STI doors (suck for mid bass) are thin meatal, not a lot of space inside and tight between door card and door. My doors got a good dose of sound deadening. not to the extent as above but fairly heavy. because of the rods for the door handle and lock mechanisms i had to apply material to inside the door, interior side as well as exterior side. I tried adding closed cell between door and door card, the door card wouldn't secure to the door.
The Alpines did not take advantage of. The SA6 fresh out of the box did. I would like to hear the SA'6 in my wife's car. Those doors are mid-bass/bass friendly and Make cheap speakers sound good LOL
Having two little ones I am usually pressed for time and end up not taking many pics or no pics at all especially if i am in the zone..
I need to go back in and snap some pics of the SA6's installed in the fully treated door. .
Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.