DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this place and thought it to be a great idea....also I rather prefer the "smaller" format of more knowledgable people (I'll try not to get in the way :wink:

Since I'm deathly ill at the moment, and home sick I figure I'll share a bit of info about myself...

I caught the audio bug at a very yound age when I bought my first cd player (technics I forget the model #) and CD "Shanice", I love your smile (you can laugh) and hooked it up to my dads sound design stereo system. That rolled over into speaker projects with my dads PA speakers which I eventually blew with one of my last homecooked ported designs (didn't know unloading existed) :wink: This eventually snowballed into me getting a job to support my habit and buying my first home setup, an Adcom GFA-535, with an Adcom preamp and tuner of which I forget the model #'s. I also bought a set of Bose AM-5 as my dad had a good connection, I even photographed the stuff. This was all at the before the age of 14, and here I am now. Last year was my fist year in competition with SLAP organization, I did very well, took 3rd in my class at finals, but took the Best of Show for SQ in my class (SPL and install scores aside) Was running the P9, and Canton components and JL8ib4's, and an IDmax in the center console (which I finished 2 hours after I was supposed to leave for finals) I'm currently running the P9 combo, to 4 USamps, JL8IB4's in the doors, Seas excel and Morel supremes in the kicks, and a brahma 10 in a custom center console seeing 2k watts. I do all the install and Fabrication work myself. I'm a perfectionist to a fault, but that results in good things as far as my accomplishments.

Latest projects are my kicks will be being rebuilt, having some slight problems with center focus. I also took my P9 face apart and a friend of mine is machining aluminum knobs so that I can anodize the whole thing black. Also have a pair of Hiquphon ow1's in the mail that I will be comparing the supremo with when they arrive. Some pics of stuff I've done and what not can be seen here...I even added the pic of my Adcom setup, and last but not least..the name is Josh

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/eastcoast1

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Hey Josh welcome to the boards. That's a nice setup you got there! Like I told you on aim I like the center console lol :)

Fwiw, I do all my testing with an old adcom 535mkII.

Ever think about taking the plunge to a computer controlled behringer processor and mls measurement system? Maybe some ribbons who knows :)

I plan on sponsoring some cars in the near future if you have any plans to compete this year...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh I get it now...

So is this "Cheapboy"??

I'd be interested in other measuring system, been reading about them lately, right now I just use True RTA and my laptop, mic is a behringer ecm8000.

I'd love to use ribbons, problem is finding some small enough to work into my kick panels, know of any with a more normal footprint?? I'd love for my tweet detail to rival my midrange detail. And this year I'm competing again, it will be an exciting year, as I've moved up a class, and all the top performers in amateur have remained, while the top performers in Novice have moved up, so we are a massive group of good cars. Having listened to the other cars though they all seem to lack a little on the SQ side of it. This all started from a love for music, so that should be first and foremost. Stage, height, width, depth, all these are super important aspects which can be manipulated through crossover, eq etc. However, when those aspects of the system are being band-aided though EQ, crossover, phase etc, you're exchanging for tonality...something I refuse to do. I'm really interested in the ribbons if you know of any...

·
Registered
35 Posts
A small footprint ribbon is truly something that would help the car audio world IF there was a market for it. The thing about the ribbons is they do not produce much energy down where the midbass crosses into them. That gap is actually a good thing depending on your listening preferences. At any rate, if there is a market for such a device, it's definitely a possibility to start getting such a thing into production, but otherwise, it'll remain sidelined to the compact and cheaper built dome tweeters.

If you are looking for a ribbon like tweeter sound, try the LPG alum coned tweet or another metal dome like a Seas home tweeter 27TDFC or something rather. These sacrifice some top end dispersion, but especially with the Seas Mag metal dome, is highly beneficial to adding clarity to the midrange. And with a high enough cross point on the LPG at say 3khz, it too adds a lot of clarity to the midbass you are using.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The LCY looks like it would fit the bill...still waiting to find out if the ribbon can be replaced in the feild, if so, it seems like a winner...I'll probably pick some up to try em.

The Aurum is gonna fly NP, even if I like em. The space that I was going to cut to mount them can't be cut, they will probably be up for sale soon, as I can't afford to keep them at the moment.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
They look field replaceable to me... only question is how much are they gonna cost and do you want the wide vertical dispersion in a car?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vertical dispersion...

That isn't the issue...the problem is how these aurus will fit in my car, keep in mind this is a competition car (maybe I'll keep the aurums for my other car) I was going to cut the floor and sink them in a bit but where I was going to cut goes into my wheel well.

The vertical dispersion is an issue for me because there is all different size judges sitting in my car. I'm 5'10" but all my height is in my legs, my torso is very short, so where my ears are gonna be isn't where most of the judges ears will be, (unless they are 5'6" and normally proportioned :lol: ) especially if they are tall with a long torso. My judge at finals last year was quite tall. I haven't gotten the aurum in yet to mess around with and see what the "vertical dispersion" issues are all about,(waiting on the caps) or even if they are the problem people say they are. However, vertical dispersion, atleast a good amount is a must for this car where we could have as much as a 10 inch difference in ear height.

THe only other draw to the LCY is that it is round, easier to hide what I have (no one really wonders whats behind a round grill) In the case of something going wrong at a big show..I can throw another tweeter in its place. Also, because the back is not long and rectangular, I can fit it where I need to w/out cutting or sticking up too far. Picture a wall where the floor meets it, you have a 90 degree angle. Now picture mounting the aurum at a 45 right there, it sticks up quite a bit, so in a car that already has very little leg room, and a very tight kick area and gets graded on stuff like that...well, the LCY just seems like the more reasonable option...should it be feild replacable. I hope my caps come in today...I'm dying to try this thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.