DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some expert advice for a new system

I have two pairs of ID CTX65cs in one of my cars and I like them especially for the price. I went and bought a pair of those and a pair of CTX5 coaxial speakers for the rear. I was trying to build a decent budget system, but i'm terrible when comes to having too many choices. So i'm here for your help.

Components I currently have -
Alpine CDA-117 (3 pre-outs supposedly @ 4v)
ID CTX65cs - 100 wrms (CTX25 tweeter 50 wrms)
ID CTX5 - 75 wrms
ID IDQ12V3 DVC 4ohms sealed in a custom Klaus Audio 1 sq ft. sealed box - 750 wrms
HiFonics Zeus ZXi60.4 + 1k ([email protected] + 750wrms @ 2ohms)
RF EPX2 - 28 1/3 octave eq / xover

The EPX2 wasn't originally in the mix, but this is my 2nd EPX2 I had in the last 20 years or so. Yeah I was rocking the USD horn tweeters back in the early 90's as well.

I already fabricated my door speakers pods and i'm almost done with all the wiring minus the speakers wires since I ran into this dilemma.

I wasn't too fond of the CTX65cs passive crossover in my other car. I thought it wasn't doing a good job because the woofers seemed very boomy for a 6.5 inch woofer, but that's great I guess because I took my IDQ12 out of my sedan and into my suv for a new system build.

Getting to the point
Would it be a whole lot better for me to get rid of the passive crossover and use the EPX2 to process the signals to the four channels amp to power my CTX65cs? Save the CTX5 (rear fill speakers) for another day? I'm am assuming this is called bi-amping right? Or, forget the EPX2 and bridge the four channels ([email protected]), using the included passive crossover? Or, just use passive crossover using 2 channels for the front and use the CTX5 for the rear? Or, forget the EPX2 and save the Alpine HU, buy the Pioneer DEX-99rs then later upgrade the front speakers to maybe a ID XS/CXS model? Or does my amp stink as well and get rid of that as well?

I know my components aren't even close to being the best but I have used Image Dynamics products and i've been so hooked on their products. I also have heard people having issues with the 5 channel Hifonics Zeus but for the money i'm willing to give it a shot. As for the HU, i've used all the major brands in the market and so far my i'm very comfortable with Pioneer's Premier line. Btw is the Pioneer DEX-99RS an excellent all in one solution for sounding processing?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
teh 99rs rocks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just talked to Dan (the tech dept at ID) about the components I have and I decided not to use the EPX2 (maybe I should just frame it as a relic) since its crossover was a butterworth 12db was a hit or a miss depending on finding the right frequency slope. He said if I were to go active he would at least have 18db or 24db on the highs. He's a front stage guy and that's what i've focused since the early 90's. So i'll just bridge 4 channels and power the CTX65cs with [email protected] using their passive crossover. I'll just save the CTX5 for a rainy day or something.

Is the Alpine Imprint really worth the upgrade for my Alpine CDA-117? In the future i'll build a system using the DEX-P99rs or something equivalent for my new ride. The current system i'm building is going into an off-road vehicle. The Alpine's Media Expander seems to make my sound unnatural, what is this crap?

Btw I have some Dynamat Extreme left. Where do you guys think is the best place to apply for an SUV? I'm thinking around the rear wheel wells/panels. The rear floor already has a thick factory floor insulator of some kind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts