DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a used 800PRS that I got off the forum a while back and I have absolutely no power. I used a Metra wire harness and I have double checked my connections to the 12v+, 12v ACC (all crimped using crimp caps), Ground ring screwed into metal from the frame and I still have no power.

I'm leaning towards the head unit, but there are no troubleshooting steps in the manual.

Any suggestions to figure out whats wrong? What could be wrong with the head unit if I am getting no power?

·
Napoleon of DIYMA
846 Posts
Maybe you don't have ACC in the factory harness? what car?

if you put the ACC of the deck on the 12V constant does it turn on?

Basic, but the fuse is good?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Suggest to remove anything and test it out off the bench, or from the battery directly. +12V and ACC together... And see will the HU power up....
x2 get a short length of speaker wire and use it as pos/rem/neg and test it to the battery.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
x2 get a short length of speaker wire and use it as pos/rem/neg and test it to the battery.
Thanks for the responses. How do I wire the HU directly to the battery? Make the speaker wire touch the positive terminal of the battery and connect them to 12v and ACC?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks for the responses. How do I wire the HU directly to the battery? Make the speaker wire touch the positive terminal of the battery and connect them to 12v and ACC?
just take the "red" 12v wire along with the constant 12v which might be yellow and twist them together then touch them to the positive terminal of your battery.... then take the ground "black" and touch it to the negative post on your battery. Should light the deck up.. if not you have issues with the deck. also see if the deck has a fuse on the back.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe you don't have ACC in the factory harness? what car?

if you put the ACC of the deck on the 12V constant does it turn on?

Basic, but the fuse is good?
Fuse is good - first thing I checked. I wired the ACC and 12v to their respective wires on the harness and the factory radio powered up, but not my HU. I will try the 12v and ACC/ ground on the battery method tomorrow and see if it works.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Don't hook speaker wires to ground or power, bad idea, unless you mean the wire you used was for speakers.

Does this have a reset like my 880PRS? You are supposed to hit that when you install, there is a tiny button on the 880 next to the right knob you use a pen/etc to push it in to reset the processor.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Don't hook speaker wires to ground or power, bad idea, unless you mean the wire you used was for speakers.

Does this have a reset like my 880PRS? You are supposed to hit that when you install, there is a tiny button on the 880 next to the right knob you use a pen/etc to push it in to reset the processor.

I don't think he's planning on hooking SPEAKER wires to the battery, unless he's extending the power wires with SPEAKER WIRE.. :laugh:

Seems this guy knows at least a thing or 2... troubleshooting is going well...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yes, I used a pin and tried the reset button on the faceplate with no success. I'm going to try to power the HU using its wiring to the battery after work as FartinInTheTub suggested. Will let everyone know.

In the mean time, anything else worth a try?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I once killed my battery completely, the dome light was out. After I charged it I lost my TA settings but the EQ and xover were still set the same as well as all the amp levels/etc. I forget if it lost the radio stations lol.

The fuse should be blown if you have power/ground on it and it does not work at all. I would try to get the face to come out in case the display is not showing but has power. Otherwise it may be an internal issue. The only posts on these about issues have seen the pico fuse, but all that does is ground the RCA so you get ground loop noise if its bad.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I once killed my battery completely, the dome light was out. After I charged it I lost my TA settings but the EQ and xover were still set the same as well as all the amp levels/etc. I forget if it lost the radio stations lol.

The fuse should be blown if you have power/ground on it and it does not work at all. I would try to get the face to come out in case the display is not showing but has power. Otherwise it may be an internal issue. The only posts on these about issues have seen the pico fuse, but all that does is ground the RCA so you get ground loop noise if its bad.
How can I get the face plate off with no power? I thought it needed power to eject the face?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
How can I get the face plate off with no power? I thought it needed power to eject the face?

You do, just saying if the face was dead maybe it would power out but don't really know. You hold the top right button on 880 for a couple seconds it will come out so you can take it off. Many things are same on 800 but I never had a 800prs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You never mentioned what kind of car? Many newer cars send the power on by CANBUS or fiber in some cases. Some of the German cars are known for that. I've also read some of the Metra harnesses have the constant and ACC reversed. Do you have a multi meter? Check those pins for power when you turn on/off the car to verify the harness is correct. They don't always get it right you know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You never mentioned what kind of car? Many newer cars send the power on by CANBUS or fiber in some cases. Some of the German cars are known for that. I've also read some of the Metra harnesses have the constant and ACC reversed. Do you have a multi meter? Check those pins for power when you turn on/off the car to verify the harness is correct. They don't always get it right you know.
My car is a 2006 Honda Accord LX Coupe. The Metra Harness is from the Metra Turbokit Amazon.com: Metra Honda Installation Kit (99-7862) (99-7862): Electronics

1 - 20 of 21 Posts