DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm a college student working on a project about the audio industry and as a part of it I am attempting to illustrate how the different audio prices have changed over the years. I have narrowed it down to amplifiers, speakers, and tuners but require some assistance with finding prices specifically for the 2000-2010 years. I have found extensive magazines from the 80s, and 90s, however I am unable to find many magazines that continued past 2000. I am looking for either car audio or home audio, either would help. I've started emailing some of the bigger companies but it must either be to much work for them or they don't release that information. Either way anything helps, thanks in advance!

·
Slowpoke
1,361 Posts
You want prices on everything or did you have some specific gear in mind? I don't believe a database for the former exists so you will have your work cut out.

I can say this pretty confidently - it's cheaper than ever to get into this game. For a guy who got started in the early 90s, the options are far greater and and price for entry has gone down considerably. And new gear is still being introduced every day. I hear people all the time (especially around here) lamenting the fall of car audio, but IMHO, there has never been a better time to enjoy the hobby.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Connor. I need to do some digging, but I may have something you would enjoy. I ran a Crank-It-Up organization that used retail pricing of amplifiers to determine competitor categories. I had the "Buyers Guide" editions of Car Stereo Review copied and put into binders for my judges, or at least about 10 years worth in the time period you are looking for. I think they are at my old lake house in the garage where my ex lives, but I need to dig around in the garage to find my router bits anyway, so I will look for you when I do go out there.

·
Slowpoke
1,361 Posts
Hi Connor. I need to do some digging, but I may have something you would enjoy. I ran a Crank-It-Up organization that used retail pricing of amplifiers to determine competitor categories. I had the "Buyers Guide" editions of Car Stereo Review copied and put into binders for my judges, or at least about 10 years worth in the time period you are looking for. I think they are at my old lake house in the garage where my ex lives, but I need to dig around in the garage to find my router bits anyway, so I will look for you when I do go out there.
Ooo, good point - I forgot car audio mags used to do a lot of these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You want prices on everything or did you have some specific gear in mind? I don't believe a database for the former exists so you will have your work cut out.

I can say this pretty confidently - it's cheaper than ever to get into this game. For a guy who got started in the early 90s, the options are far greater and and price for entry has gone down considerably. And new gear is still being introduced every day. I hear people all the time (especially around here) lamenting the fall of car audio, but IMHO, there has never been a better time to enjoy the hobby.
I'm mainly looking for amps, speakers, and tuners; Both car audio and home audio. I know prices have gotten MUCH cheaper over time from my previous knowledge plus the digging I have done. You could expect to pay nearly $5/w for a quality amp back in 1990. Unfortunately Audio Magazine ended in 1999, and that was an excellent yearly database for price points that I've been using. Crutchfield has offered a catalog for many years but unfortunately there is no way to access earlier than 2015.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be amazing! I know a lot of current orgs carry power ratings and such just didn't know if they would have pricing as well. (As well as access to years of the old data)

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have an interesting project topic. It’s a pity that I don’t understand anything about this. I can recommend one site https://edubirdie.com/statistics-help. Browse writers’ proposals, profiles, reviews, and rates. Chat with those you like the most and hire your favorite one. Their smart bidding system will recommend you a writer that suits your requirements the most.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
So is there some specific information you'd like me to get you from my catalogs? I mean I know you said HU/Amps/Speakers and home audio tuners, but there is a fair amount to look through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts