DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am a newbie to diy car audio and raw driver application. I myself am running a prety crappy DLS R6 components actively crossed through Alpine9853 unit. I am located in Kitchener, Canada, so I have to do all my shopping through Solen.ca.
I am currently putting a system for my friend and made a decision to go active (through Alpine9855 unit). He has 92 VW Passat. I will put 6.5 mids in the doors and tweeters would have to go on the dash. I have no idea what drivers to choose really. Since his tweeters will be on dash, I suppose I need a good off-axis one?
So far personally I've heard Peerless 6.5 mid, not sure on model number, in my friends car. And I was given a recommendation by this friend to go with this driver, since at least I know what it sounds like. As far as the tweeter goes, I prety much made my mind up about LPG-25nfa, but since I'll be buying off Solen.ca they aren't in stock and we have to wait about 8 weeks (this info is coming from a 4day old thread on page 4 or something). I also read that Morel tweeters are great, but looking at the models mentioned I don't think I would be able to fit them in the dash...
I've read through reviews on this forum, and they are really great, but nothing really sits in my mind. I just need some time to organize information in my head.
So if you have some suggestions on how to pair up drivers and tweeters, that'd be crazy great! My friend listens mostly to rock music, with occasional mix of other kinds. This is his first system, coming from a stock cassete deck, so he'll be amazed anyway. I just want to put together something decent and will last him some time. Our budget is basically $300CAD.
Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seas CA18RNX are 6.5" drivers that are very well liked on this forum.

I ordered a pair of CA18RNX and a pair of 25NFA from Solen and the total including taxes was around $290 CAN.

I cancelled the order for the 25NFA's though, I was the one who posted about the 8 weeks backorder.

You can order them from meniscusaudio though. I email'd them and they replied today:

"Yes, the tweeters are in stock at $37.00 ea and Air postage [to Canada] for 2 tweeters should be no more than $6.00."

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, great so I can really get LPGs!

I was also wondering how those 8Ohm drivers would do with my friend's mtx 4320 amp, which is rated at [email protected], but does(guesstimated) [email protected]? Is that too little power for the combo? I'm not worried about tweeter as much as I am about midbass. If it puts out [email protected], then [email protected] Am I right here?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
yermolovd said:
Ok, great so I can really get LPGs!

I was also wondering how those 8Ohm drivers would do with my friend's mtx 4320 amp, which is rated at [email protected], but does(guesstimated) [email protected]? Is that too little power for the combo? I'm not worried about tweeter as much as I am about midbass. If it puts out [email protected], then [email protected] Am I right here?
i'd bridge that to mids and find another small amp for tweets.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's an option, but I wouldn't want to get another amp, since 1) we don't have space left to put it in, 2) i'm afraid to put too much strain on electrical system. So running it with that amount of power won't work too well? :(

·
Registered
374 Posts
yermolovd said:
That's an option, but I wouldn't want to get another amp, since 1) we don't have space left to put it in, 2) i'm afraid to put too much strain on electrical system. So running it with that amount of power won't work too well? :(
You shouldn't have a problem with your electrical system unless you have a low amp output alternator. It's also good to use the recommened gauge power wiring for your amps, and upgrade the body ground wire (alt too).

Ryan

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
|Tch0rT|
I will be running MTX amp mentioned above and Orion XTR pro 1000. Stock alt is 90amps I believe and he doesn't have a great yellow/redttop. Wiring is 0/1ga, distributor, 4ga to amps, ground 0/1ga. I am running a similar, powerwise, setup in my car with 60amp alt and a crappy battery and have no problems with lights or anything. I don't think he will be happy with the fact that we need to look for another amp.

Lawnboy360 thanks a lot for the link!

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
imo, unless they are super efficient (above 93db 1w/m) 40w isnt going to cut it for my tastes... regardless of impedence

·
Registered
36 Posts
if your 92 passat has the same doors as my 94 jetta, you won't be able to fit the ca18's without modification to the door panel. your max diameter will be 17cm.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a jigsaw and mdf that I can put to some use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts