DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hokay,
So my ex boyfriend had put a sub and amp in my car. He had worked at an electronics place and thats where my products came from. I do not feel comfortable going back to said store because everyone there knows me and it is super awkward. Especially considering the car audio installer was his best friend and he is the guy I would need to talk to.

Soooooooooooooo for some reason I feel like I recall him saying for me to make sure i unhook my amp from my car battery if I ever needed to jumpstart it. I dunno if that is true or if I am imagining it.

But I had to jump start my car recently. The thought never came up when I had to jump my car so I never unhooked amp from battery. The following day is when I noticed my sub wasnt working. I didnt notice day of jump because i wasnt listening to music on that drive home.

Sub doesn't work and it looks to me that my amp is no longer working as well (therefore I assume sub is fine but amp is the problem). My memory is bad but I swear there used to be a blue light on my amp when it was on and no such light is ever on anymore.

I have an MB Quart amp (which I do not recall which one it is) and a kicker L5 sub if y'all need to know.

Just wondering if you guys think a fuse would have blown or if I managed to fry my amp or something???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
my guess would be that there is a fuse inside the engine compartment...that blew. If you open the hood can you see what would be a power wire that goes from the battery thru the firewall and to the amp?

If so, somewhere between the battery and the fire wall that wire should have an inline fuse. If so you can check to see if jump starting the car popped that fuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply!

Theres a box that comes off the battery which I know is the line that goes to the amp. its a clear box but its dirty and covered in electrical tape for some reason. ive tried looking into it as best I can, but I cannot actually tell if there is a fuse in there. All it looks like is that it is one metal end of a cable hooking up to another...

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
Thank you for the reply!

Theres a box that comes off the battery which I know is the line that goes to the amp. its a clear box but its dirty and covered in electrical tape for some reason. ive tried looking into it as best I can, but I cannot actually tell if there is a fuse in there. All it looks like is that it is one metal end of a cable hooking up to another...
thats the fuse...and if you have a volt meter the easiest way to test this theory is to go back to the amp and place the positive lead of the meter on the positive connection and the neg lead to the ground connection...both that the amp.

You want to have a reading there of at least 12volts. If you don't then its likely that fuse in the engine compartment is blown or just needs to be reset, depnding on whats under that electical tape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats the fuse...and if you have a volt meter the easiest way to test this theory is to go back to the amp and place the positive lead of the meter on the positive connection and the neg lead to the ground connection...both that the amp.

You want to have a reading there of at least 12volts. If you don't then its likely that fuse in the engine compartment is blown or just needs to be reset, depnding on whats under that electical tape.

Okay, thank you! I will try that tonight :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What part of Canadaaaa you from? Might be someone locally that can assist... or know of a shop.
Vancouver Island. Yes, there are several shops around here I could go to but the only person I would want to go to is the exes best friend. So I am avoiding it all costs and will only go if it is the last option.

Thank you though!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I would call up the ex, offer him up the opportunity to get back with your amazing self if he fixes your sub amp, then once he's done so, tell him to get the f off your property or you're going to call the police (and a thank you). :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts