DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this problem with my '08 Equinox. Around 2 years ago when have bought the vehicle used I had the install done by a local shop because I wanted to retain the factory radio. About a year after that I decided to upgrade the factory radio and I was in for nasty surprise. The installer had cut directly into the factory wires. I had bought an after market wiring harness, but nothing seemed to work as the radio I had bought would stay on all the time.

Fast foward to today where I have my new install and a new radio and it will not power off to the point were it's draining my battery. Here's what I have for wires they cut... A red, yellow, and a pink wire. I tried using the aftermarket wiring harness as the factory wires do not have an orange wire.

Do I wire the red factory with the red aftermarket wire ang with the radio's red?

Do I wire just the red aftermarket wire to the radio's red wire?

Do I wire the red and pink factory together with the red aftermarket wire and the radio's red wire?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would try to track down the original installer or shop who did the install and ask that they make things right. sounds like they did not do the first install properly.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would try to track down the original installer or shop who did the install and ask that they make things right. sounds like they did not do the first install properly.
The thing is I have swapped out gear and rca's twice now and they could just as easily say it's my fault. Also that was 2yrs ago I believe there a statute of limits on things in general.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have this problem with my '08 Equinox. Around 2 years ago when have bought the vehicle used I had the install done by a local shop because I wanted to retain the factory radio. About a year after that I decided to upgrade the factory radio and I was in for nasty surprise. The installer had cut directly into the factory wires. I had bought an after market wiring harness, but nothing seemed to work as the radio I had bought would stay on all the time.

Fast foward to today where I have my new install and a new radio and it will not power off to the point were it's draining my battery. Here's what I have for wires they cut... A red, yellow, and a pink wire. I tried using the aftermarket wiring harness as the factory wires do not have an orange wire.

Do I wire the red factory with the red aftermarket wire ang with the radio's red?

Do I wire just the red aftermarket wire to the radio's red wire?

Do I wire the red and pink factory together with the red aftermarket wire and the radio's red wire?
No do not just connect the wires like that.
Pretty much all aftermarket hu wiring harnesses are coded the same way but theres no way to tell what the oem man used with out a dmm.
One should be hot all time one should be a ground and the other would only be hot with the switch on.
Until you figure all that out i woulndnt attempt anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts