DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

i'm new to this but here goes, i'm having some issues with my current setup, so i thought i'd come to the pro's :) i have listed my setup below:

pioneer deh-8100bt
JL 10w3v2
alpine PDX 1.600
alpine SPR-13C door (270w peak, 90w RMS)
vibe slick 6x9 (175w peak and 150w RMS) (DO YOU THINK I SHOULD REPLACE THESE?)
A/D/S component 346is (obviously inc separate crossovers and tweeters (currently not installed)

at the moment my system is more bassy than clear sound, now i've had a pair of shire SE530PTH's for the past couple of years and after i use them every the sound system sounds terrible, but now vie decided to fish this problem!

my goal is to have crystal clear sound so that i can hear every single note in my music, but i also want a deep bass that just complements the mids and highs nothing too over powering, as it is now.

my door speakers are very much under power/distorted, now i purchased soma A/D/S component speakers, but have not yet had them installed as i preferred to get an amp to power them, as you might expect the unit itself will not do at all.

now i recently decided on purchasing an alpine PDX 2.150 for my vibe 6x9's in the rear shelf, and a pair of the JBL 660 GTI's "(of which vie herd nothing but good stuff about), for the front door, and putting the A/D/S components in the rear doors where there is currently nothing, i was thinking of getting another alpine PDX 4.150 to power both component sets, what do you think? do you think it would be better to to just stick with the current components i've got (A/D/S) and just buy a PDX 4.150 to power them and the 6x9's or do you think i should go ahead with all this? if you don't think the amp is any good then what would you recommend other then the 4.150?

loads of q's there i know but any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance all!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not expert but for me, I think simple is better. Try setup a simple system first and i'm sure you can get nice clear sound out of it. Setup a 2way front and rear power by the HU and a sub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

My head unit is currently powering my 6x9's and my front door alpines and my pdx is powering my jlw3v2 as I stated originally, however, I am looking for really load pure sound with the ability to turn the bass up when I please, I have that part sorted as I have already had a bass controller installed for my sub and amp, I listen to all sorts of music from trance and progressive to rock to rnb/hip hop, indie etc, so I really do need it to have a wide range and the loudness is something I really don't want to sacrifice, I do want to spend a lot more on it to make it that good, I just need advice as to wether or not this is the right way to go, thanks for your post

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do think putting the A/D/S in the front and 6x9 to the rear should give good result. Run a 4ch active upfront using the ADS and the rear U can decide on anything as they are less important. You don't need to rush for the GTI as the A/D/S are actually good.Your sub remain so you need to get a 4ch first and a processor.By using processor you can keep different system setting for different music. Also good sound deadening is important.
There are even future possible upgrade if U want bigger bass up front....3way/4way active.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you're running all your speakers off your head unit, then there's no way they're getting enough power. Amping your current speakers would be a huge improvement. Either way you go, amp them! I'd worry about your front stage before even considering looking at amping the 6x9s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes your right there is no way thay are getting enough power, but as i say i will go ahead with just installing the ads upfront and ill get a pdx 4.150 for to power them and the 6x9s they both rms at 150w so that amp should be fine wont it or can you recommend a better one? And if i do go for the config involving the gtis how much of a difference would it be? Baring in mind that all 6 speakers would be getting 150rms? Thanks all

·
Registered
92 Posts
:blush:You dont want to spend so much $$$ first. Get the 4.150 and bridge them to power the a/d/s passive upfront. How did u set your sub? subsonic at 30hz and try not to cross above 80hz. Run 6x9 at rear using HU power and start listening.
From there U can go to next step by deciding what and how many spk you want to add.
i'VE not heard the GTI but I do know you have the quality American made a/d/s unit and even the GTI wins...the a/d/s will not fall far back.
opss,,,,I forgot U can bi-amp that a/d/s
If you have the $ and want to put in all the spk, you need :ZED Audio Leviathan - II 6 channel amplifier

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If you're running all your speakers off your head unit, then there's no way they're getting enough power. Amping your current speakers would be a huge improvement. Either way you go, amp them! I'd worry about your front stage before even considering looking at amping the 6x9s.
Not only is he not gettin enough power but the power he sending them distorted nasty power from the HU. I switched HU from a amped to a dead HU (no amp) and powered all my componenets with a 4503IQ amplifier and notice a BIG improvement. Then I use the built in crossover (80hz and above) and it made the components sound even more better.

Never expect to get clean loud power from HU, there is no way a HU can produce 50watts RMS distortion free power. By distortion free I mean most HU when going above half volume start to distort really bad and sound like ****.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your so right about the head units power being terrible, I've been looking into that zed audio leviathan II I like the look of it, but I've herd about an issue with it popping tweeters, what's the about? And what would you rate the amp at would day better than the PDX, and if so I think it will be perfect for running the ads and the 6x9s and the gti's should I decide to go for them, as far as bi amping the ass's your absolutely right, they can be, sorry to sound like a novice in all of this but what's the difference in beaming them and just sending them 150w rms at 4ohms using say the zed audio leviathan II?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bi-amp passive mode can give better music separation and bass is more control. Outcome is minor and some can't hear the differences.Your a/d/s is one of the best driver from them and just only a little below the PX series.Class 'D' technology are still consider new in the market but i think its the future.If you intend to go passive,most properly you will not have the 'pop' issue.The Zed & PDX are both good amps but the Leviathan fit into your setup better.
My view is to stick to whatever you have on hand first and add those you need. If you got the budget....get the best equipments you can buy so it'll last you years without the need to upgrade. If you got the ZED you can put in all the spk you want and see if you like the result. If you still missing something,go active. You only need an EQ processor unit to go active as the Zed already had the Xover.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I have 2 advises to your problem:
- Lose the rear speakers and focus on your A/D/S first. When you're confident enough that you have a good front stage, you can power your rear speakers with your HU. It's hard enough to tune a front stage and a rear stage can only bring phase problems during tuning...
- Read and learn from the forum. There's plenty of good info on how to tune and have a better sound with what you already have. No need to shell out the cash for a 660Gti if you don't know how to tune coz you can only be disappointed (for the price you paid)...

Kelvin

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
READ READ READ like subwoofery said lose the rears get another pdx maybe a 2.150 or 4.150 both types of comps you already have are pretty darn good.
once you amp the fronts start with your xovers at 80 and work you way up or down keep in mind that the lower you cross your fronts the less power and volume you will be able to acheive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey sorry been too long since I replied been really busy, I was looking into the zed audio leviathan amp I contacted Stephen and he said in about a week or two they are about to start shipping out the leviathan Mark III which has an impressive 190x6 output I was considering shelling out for one of those to power all 6 speakers and I think I'll take all of your advice and wait and not go for the 660gtis just yet, as far as the install and tuning goes, clearly. Am not the righ man for th job, I will be going to race tech uk which is a company based in Burnley Lancashire, which is incidentally my home town, they have been modifying andtuning cars for competitions fir years and they are the UKs only gumpert dealership as well. they will do all my tuning and calibrating, so any takes on the leviathan itself? Ikw one of you thought it was the best way forward any others? The main thing I'm worried about is the fact that it will be giving my speakers 190w which is 40w more than the ads and the vibe 6x9s can handle and a huge 100w more than the alpines can, will that be a problem, the last thing I want is to blow all 6?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Never expect to get clean loud power from HU, there is no way a HU can produce 50watts RMS distortion free power. By distortion free I mean most HU when going above half volume start to distort really bad and sound like ****.
yup, most HU will put out abuot 17-20 watts of decent power. just not a big enough power supply in a HU to put out any real power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts