DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys, i currently own a kenwood xr 5s amplifier with 350rms at either 4ohm or 2ohm. wich setting would yall recommend? also, im looking for a sub with good sq and the capability of getting loud when needed. i prefer sealed due to cost but im open to ported as long as it doesnt take up my whole trunk. this will be going into a 01 Lexus IS300. these are the subs im looking at so far:

Focal Performance Sub P 30 DB 12"

Focal Polyglass 27 V1 11"
ARC12D2 - ARC Audio 12" 700 Watt Dual 2-Ohm Subwoofer
G5124 - Boston Acoustics 12"
ID12 V3 D2

polk audio sr , jlw3, and idq's were also looked at but not sure if underpowering is a good idea?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I definitely like Focal but they are quite expensive and don't have tons of excursion, so count those out. By the way, you'd want the 33cm drivers, not 27cm.

Don't worry about the power - sensitivity is what matters, not rated power handling. I don't understand why people keep making the assumption that 'underpowering' is somehow bad.

From the list, I'd probably go with the Boston G5.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man!, iv read a lot of information on subs and to be honest it is a bit overwhelming, my old school way of thinking was...the higher the sensitivity the better....as well as the heavier and bigger the magnet is the better the woofer. apparently there seems to be more to it than just that lol

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Motor strength (of which the magnet plays a big role) is important, but it's not a bigger is better deal. Stronger motors tend to shift the frequency response of the driver up (away from low bass) and also changes the box that the driver is suited for. It's a question of finding the right balance for your application.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ha! that sounds like a great task for someone who doesnt really know what to look for! lol the g5 are discontinued so i guess the g3 is the next best thing. iv read good things on the arcs though...like i said....very overwhelming. i like the sensitivity idea due to my lack of power so i might go that route combined with sq

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The G3 is said to sound quite nice. I think the ARC, which is based on the regular ID, is also said to sound pretty good. I haven't run them myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are considering the G3, look into the GTR passive radiator. It add 3db of output without increasing the box size. I'm considering the Bostons as well. They seem to be on sale everywhere.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iv been a bit curious to find out how those radiators work...id have to do research....sobfar im leaning towards the bostons or the arcs.....even though i just remembered about the jbl gto series or the p series. I like searching for a sub and finding actual reviews from websites or knowledgeable users.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
If you are considering the G3, look into the GTR passive radiator. It add 3db of output without increasing the box size. I'm considering the Bostons as well. They seem to be on sale everywhere.
passive radiator is just another to "port" a box. you get more output for the same reason you get more output from a ported box. it is not a fixall for every situation.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was in a similar dilemma when looking for a single 12 for my RX300. I ended up going with an Fi X-12 in a sealed box (1.2 ft). Good price, built to spec and sound great with 250 watts. Food for thought

·
Registered
72 Posts
No idea about Obsidian, but definitely not Skar for SQ. Get back to one of the other forums. We don't love Skar here.
I'd suggest Obsidian first for SQL as well, but Skars can sound really good too, and get loud doing it... a lot of the hate for the brand comes from the bad rep of the owner of the company. I'm sorry neither are a big name brand, but I can show you an in car plot of 2 Obsidian 15's in my car and you just might change your mind, and it gets DAMN loud doing it.

You might want to run back to the SQ forum with your single 10" in a sealed box. No offense.

·
Registered
72 Posts
whats up guys, i currently own a kenwood xr 5s amplifier with 350rms at either 4ohm or 2ohm. wich setting would yall recommend? also, im looking for a sub with good sq and the capability of getting loud when needed. i prefer sealed due to cost but im open to ported as long as it doesnt take up my whole trunk. this will be going into a 01 Lexus IS300. these are the subs im looking at so far:

Focal Performance Sub P 30 DB 12"

Focal Polyglass 27 V1 11"
ARC12D2 - ARC Audio 12" 700 Watt Dual 2-Ohm Subwoofer
G5124 - Boston Acoustics 12"
ID12 V3 D2

polk audio sr , jlw3, and idq's were also looked at but not sure if underpowering is a good idea?
The Obsidians will work in a fairly small ported box as well...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You might want to run back to the SQ forum with your single 10" in a sealed box. No offense.
Mmm? I didn't recommend a 10", and I have 2 CDT QES-1220s. I doubt you can name a single subwoofer with better SQ than the Aurasound I linked. I challenge you to put it up against ANY subwoofer, including the ridiculously expensive Critical Mass and Phase Linear stuff. Ridiculous as in 'why would anyone even consider buying such an overpriced product?' (Not to say that nobody would prefer those, but I'd be willing to bet that they don't measure better, and that anyone liking them will at least like the Aurasound as well)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Mmm? I didn't recommend a 10", and I have 2 CDT QES-1220s. I doubt you can name a single subwoofer with better SQ than the Aurasound I linked. I challenge you to put it up against ANY subwoofer, including the ridiculously expensive Critical Mass and Phase Linear stuff. Ridiculous as in 'why would anyone even consider buying such an overpriced product?' (Not to say that nobody would prefer those, but I'd be willing to bet that they don't measure better, and that anyone liking them will at least like the Aurasound as well)
You may want to go read the Klippel results of the NRt, on this site, before you go around tossing out challenges.

NPdang was able to delaminate the coil on 400 watts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts