DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of 10" Rockford Fosgate "The Punch Classic" woofers the other day, and they came in a truck box by RF. The guy i got them from said that They will wire to one channel. Basically, it goes as follows

amp>input on box 1>output on box 1> input on box 2

The subs are 8ohm, and he said this will bring the load down to 4 OHM

He also said that a 200-400 watt amp would work fine.

My questions are

1. what watt amp should i get
2. do i need to get one with a certain OHM rating?
3. i am considering replacing my speakers (2 door, 2 behind the seat) down the road. Should i get a 5 channel amp now? or just a mono channel and then a 4 channel if i replace speakers?

Thanks, as you can tell im brand new to this, so forgive me if i used the wrong terms. haha Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your budget? Are you going to keep these woofers for a long time, or just use them for a while and then change?
Well, i paid $50 for the subs and boxes. I will prolly get something on craigslist, so i get a deal but its not bad quality. I just dont really know what specs to look for. And i doubt i will upgrade for a while.

·
5,210 Posts
If they are 8 ohm then wire them in parallel, which means a 4 ohm stable amp is fine.

You can use a Multi-Meter to check the terminals on the box to verify if they are 8 ohm.

A CL amp is fine. It's good to know what to look for. Anything that looks or smells burnt, walk away. Buy quality, not quantity. Newer amps are nice because that generally means they have had less abuse. I would look for an amp with a SSF (sub-sonic filter). 400W RMS will be fine.

GL

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it says 150x1
The maximum it can do is 300x1 but u want to look at rated/rms power and not maximum or peak power

Have u checked the classifieds on here? Might have to pay shipping but good amps taken care of but u get a great deal IMO.
Have you seen anything good on here by chance? btw not looking to spend a ton, less that $100

·
5,210 Posts
he said the guy said its already wired for 4ohm load...
You trust some guy? lol. And he said he was "looking to learn", so I advised him how to determine the impedance for himself.

No it says 150x1
The maximum it can do is 300x1 but u want to look at rated/rms power and not maximum or peak power
These are older low power subs. 150x1 would work, but as I suggested there is no reason to spend $50 on an 150W amp when there is a 500W amp on his local CL for $75. The higher power amp can dissipate more heat.

·
5,210 Posts
Have you tried searching google for "mrp-m500" and "visionik quality"? Could easily decide on this yourself.

Alpine is better than Visonik, and by A LOT!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried searching google for "mrp-m500" and "visionik quality"? Could easily decide on this yourself.

Alpine is better than Visonik, and by A LOT!
i actually searched that exact thing right after i posted. I found that alpine is a good brand in general, it says that it will be 300watt @4ohms, or 500watt at 2ohms. from what ive researched this should be fine with the 300 watt, correct?

also, do i want it to be bridgable?

·
5,210 Posts
It will work fine with the Alpine.

Want what to be bridgeable? The Alpine amp? It is a mono amp, so it's not bridgeable.

·
5,210 Posts
Not necessarily. They are just different and can be used for different applications. Stereo vs Mono . Search that site, there is a ton of good basic info.

The amp will do the job, just make sure it works. It will push your subs fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts