DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've wanted a new car for a while, but funds would not allow. I am at a point that I think I can do it. Now, its not going to be brand new, just new to me. I want a nice vehicle, that will allow me the best base to start a great SQ install. I almost bought an '07 Mercedes c280, but it was not the color I wanted. So really my choices are th '07 C280, an '07 ish E350, or an 05-07 Subaru WRX STI. I know the E350 will be a bit more work to remove all the factory Logic 7 and install an alpine INA 910-PXA-H701, new wires, and amps.

What are your thoughts? pros cons on all three cars. I know the STI would be more fun, but I am building a CRX for driving fun. I am at a point in life I just want a really nice ride. Also, amps... I have an MTX 91002, and two 3404s. I don't need to use these, but if I can do it without having to buy more amps. Sub, I will probably use a single 8" or 6.5" in a t-line, or use the factory sub location.

Input is welcome. thanks.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I love my Subie. It really depends on what you want to do with the car. If driving comfort is a priority, then go with the E350. If performance and fun are more of a priority, go with the STI. Also, if you're into modding stuff other than the audio, the Mercs will probably not be too friendly to that compared to the STI.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
A ***** for SQ but a REALLY fun ride: 07 Cadillac CTS-V. They hold their value pretty well but you should be able to pick one up for under $30K.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input, i looked at the cts, not a fan. I'm not going to mod anything except the audio video.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would stay away from newer Mercs W210 and up models. They really lost build quality and tank like reliability like older ones. My "low mileage" W210 has been nothing but problematic, dads -08 facelifted W211 has becoming electrical nightmare and so on. Only good thing about my W210 is that I can do most repairs and services in my garage (head gasket blew week ago). Can't even change bulbs in newer ones without plugging computer into ecu lol.

I would take STI anyday over any mercedes. Put a GT35r in it and 3.5" exhaust and there you go, nice sound system and close to 500whp. :)
How about a Audi with quattro? More fun to ride than merc, but still be luxurious. They ride much nicer than boat mercedes.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would 2nd the audi. very fun car to drive. have 2002 allroad with the 2.7T engine. total sleeper car. outrun the 4.6L mustang GT. they hate getting beat by a station wagon!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would 2nd the audi. very fun car to drive. have 2002 allroad with the 2.7T engine. total sleeper car. outrun the 4.6L mustang GT. they hate getting beat by a station wagon!
My next car is gonna be UrS4 most likely.
I like the fact that the 2.2t i5 powerplant can take over 800whp abuse when built right. Plus sedans are nicer and sleeper is all I care. :)

But thank god I have my bike also, or otherwise I would have burned the benz down long ago lol.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My big problem is can-bus in the E350. I could do the C280 install a lot easier, and it would be cheaper. I think if I would get the STI, I would mod it, and I want a car that I can just do my audio and video to, and leave stock. The STI, would get intercooler ,turbo, exahust, suspension....... you know how it goes. so what other input you got.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO Audi. I worked for Volkswagon...... junk cars. although the Audi is a better vehicle, but Its just not what I want, its gonna be the E350. just gotta uninstall all the factory nav and sirius and logic 7, then install all aftermarket goods.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well VW uses parts in their cars that did not pass Audi quality inspection. :D

Not all vag cars are bad.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the G35,really nice, but for a luxury car, its kinda small and narrow, but I do know it would sound good.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The STi's are about as far away from a MB as you can get. Crappy interior.... cheap parts.......... They are solid cars, many love them but not close to a luxury car. I have driven a few... raced a few.... for daily use not impressed. MPG (if it matters) isn't that great & did I mention the interior :)

Did you consider any of the other subaru's? Subaru Legacy I would think would be a MUCH better comparison

So sad with Audi.... they make some nice cars but many .... that maintenance can kill you. Local shop (I know the owner/mechanics well) seems to get the turbo v6's in all the time for multiple thousand dollar repairs. Seems like other german makes also get some crazy repair bills.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I would stay away from newer Mercs W210 and up models. They really lost build quality and tank like reliability like older ones. My "low mileage" W210 has been nothing but problematic, dads -08 facelifted W211 has becoming electrical nightmare and so on. Only good thing about my W210 is that I can do most repairs and services in my garage (head gasket blew week ago). Can't even change bulbs in newer ones without plugging computer into ecu lol.

I would take STI anyday over any mercedes. Put a GT35r in it and 3.5" exhaust and there you go, nice sound system and close to 500whp. :)
How about a Audi with quattro? More fun to ride than merc, but still be luxurious. They ride much nicer than boat mercedes.
^ I'll say it depends on which model:
I find the Audi A4 more fun to drive than a C350 but less fun to drive than a 328i
I find the 5 series more fun to drive than the E class but less fun than an Audi A6
I find the 335is more fun to drive than an S4
I find the 1 serie M > TTS > Z4 > SLK
I find the M3 more fun to drive than the RS5 but less fun than the C63 AMG

My opinion of course ;)

Regarding the quality and reliability, not had much trouble with any BMW or Merc I owned... Maybe I'm just lucky.
What I usually do though is wait for the model to be at the end of its life (just before the new model is released) coz it takes at least 2 years for a recall problem to be taken care of and changed @ the manufacuring plant...

Kelvin

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ I'll say it depends on which model:
I find the Audi A4 more fun to drive than a C350 but less fun to drive than a 328i
I find the 5 series more fun to drive than the E class but less fun than an Audi A6
I find the 335is more fun to drive than an S4
I find the 1 serie M > TTS > Z4 > SLK
I find the M3 more fun to drive than the RS5 but less fun than the C63 AMG

My opinion of course ;)

Regarding the quality and reliability, not had much trouble with any BMW or Merc I owned... Maybe I'm just lucky.
What I usually do though is wait for the model to be at the end of its life (just before the new model is released) coz it takes at least 2 years for a recall problem to be taken care of and changed @ the manufacuring plant...

Kelvin

thanks for the input. ur right about waiting a year or two. thats why I'm getting an 07 E350 not an 06. anybody have any input on redoing the audio of the logic 7

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I talked to customtronic about amp selection in the E350. Looks like I might do two zapco 650.6 or three 360.4. This way, I have no additional processor or equipment, just deck, amp, speaker.... whats ur thoughts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts