DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a JBL MS-8 in my wife's 2012 Subaru Legacy. I will be using a Pioneer AVH-3200BT for the source. Until I get drivers figured out I will simply use the MS-8 to power the factory speakers. There are 2" 6 ohm drivers in the dash with a 3.3 micro farad capacitor in line after the positive terminal. My understanding is that that means they are crossed over at 8000 Hz with a 6 dB slope. Am I understanding this correctly? I would like much more frequency response from this location.

I am considering using Aurasound NSW2-326-8A's (whispers) in this location. My understanding is that these can comfortably play below 500 Hz so I think I the Peerless SLS 6.5's would mate well with these. I do not intend to go overboard on the door install but if certain sealing, damping, etc. is required I'll do it. My questions are...

-Is the MS-8 enough to keep these drivers happy?
-Should I be looking at different drivers?
-What crossover point would be recommended for this setup? I'm thinking 300 Hz.

Any input will be much appreciated. My goal for this project is to get the absolute most bang for the buck possible without spending days on the install. The system needs to look stock with the exception of the head unit. I would also like to stay away from expensive name brand drivers. I've always used these in the past and really want to know if the money I've spent has been worth it. I'm not sure what I want to do about rears. I've got the amp channels available with the MS-8 so I'm open to suggestions. I will be installing a sub in the spring. I will not attempt to power the sub with the MS-8.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost a year later I haven't spent any time on this project. I've also gotten no responses. Any opinions on these drivers/setup? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How much power can the MS-8 give/channel? I didn't even realize it could function that way....Don't feel bad, I've had 3 days to run amp power wire from the battery to inside my work van but am still pondering it. I do a lot of pondering when it's near 100degrees and 90% humidity outside:p

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
The MS-8 is 20 watts rms @ 4 ohms and 30 watts rms @ 2 ohms on each of it's 8 channels. You could certainly try it without external amps and add them later. I don't have any experience with the Aura whispers, but I have used some 2" peerless on about 75 watts crossed over at 500 hz along with a tweeter crossed over at 3'500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To get more frequency response range, you will need a bigger driver. For the 'best' sound, your speakers' RMS ratings should be as close as possible to the MS-8's rating (i.e. not sky-high 4-wy speakers rated for 300W, etc). I've had good luck with Pioneer 2-ways for non-amped/factory type setups. As a coaxial speaker of course. MBQuart has several component sets which are rated low (50-70W RMS) but could still take a bigger amp than the MS-8

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coaxial in the rear, component in the front. You will have easier wiring by just bolting in the woofer and tweeter; however a better solution would be to wire both to the crossover they come with, and then to the factory wiring. The BEST solution is to run a separate channel for each to the MS-8 and then control the crossover frequencies for there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts