DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

What's best for me - sub wise?

• Build your ported box for Hertz ML2500 and you'll be good to go.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Get an IDQ 12

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Get a Morel Ultimo SC12

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Get an Audison AV12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get a Hertz ML3000

• Get a JL Audio W3 12

• Get a JL W6 12

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have a better idea

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, even I hate these kinds of polls but I really would like some more opinions from people that have heard a few more subs than I have. It really sucks living here in some ways. Anyways, my current setup:

Pioneer Avic 110BT
Bit One.1
Audison LRx 5.1k
MLK 165 front stage (tweet on dash at base of apillars - mids in factory location in door) Doors are fully deadened and sealed, mlv/ccf throughout vehicle.
ML2500 in sealed .67 ft3 box in back.

This is all in a 2010 Rav4.

My problem:

I have come to the conclusion I am not getting the low end intensity that I crave. I am strongly considering building a ported box for my current ML2500. It will be around 1.35 ft3 and will follow what winsid states for me. I will have to modify the depth a bit however as I only have 9 inches max for the sub box's clearance. This will be like my current box built out of 3/4 mdf. If I recall the box woulod be tuned to around 28 Hertz.

My question (I have posed to a few select people here in PM) is will this make me happy? I am about 50/50 whether it will. I am really lacking around 30 Hx and down right now I think. I just don't feel the impact. I have heard an Audison AV12 that was what I was looking for. A little better musicality would be nice however (could of been tuning even if it was at my installers and totally setup). I don't know how much they tune their subs however.

What's left to say.... Um, vote and if you have a better suggestion for me, I am all ears

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok, even I hate these kinds of polls but I really would like some more opinions from people that have heard a few more subs than I have. It really sucks living here in some ways. Anyways, my current setup:

Pioneer Avic 110BT
Bit One.1
Audison LRx 5.1k
MLK 165 front stage (tweet on dash at base of apillars - mids in factory location in door) Doors are fully deadened and sealed, mlv/ccf throughout vehicle.
ML2500 in sealed .67 ft3 box in back.

This is all in a 2010 Rav4.

My problem:

I have come to the conclusion I am not getting the low end intensity that I crave. I am strongly considering building a ported box for my current ML2500. It will be around 1.35 ft3 and will follow what winsid states for me. I will have to modify the depth a bit however as I only have 9 inches max for the sub box's clearance. This will be like my current box built out of 3/4 mdf. If I recall the box woulod be tuned to around 28 Hertz.

My question (I have posed to a few select people here in PM) is will this make me happy? I am about 50/50 whether it will. I am really lacking around 30 Hx and down right now I think. I just don't feel the impact. I have heard an Audison AV12 that was what I was looking for. A little better musicality would be nice however (could of been tuning even if it was at my installers and totally setup). I don't know how much they tune their subs however.

What's left to say.... Um, vote and if you have a better suggestion for me, I am all ears
How much are you wanting to spend on the sub? Some of the ones you have listed have a huge difference in price.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't lie, money is kind of important. I know the prices of these subs vary quite a bit new but I am perfectly willing to look on the used market too. I just want the best sub for me. I am not totally ticked at what I have either and don't mind waiting (saving) for that 'perfect fit sub'. Forgot to mention, I will listen to just about every music style too. It is not unheard of for me to listen to Norah Jones, then Aerosmith, Rihanna, and follow that up by Leann Rymes and a little Black Eyed Peas. Very varied - about the only thing I don't do is rap or variations of such. What I truly want is to feel my bass hits without having to go to full volume. I want to feel those drums and bass electric but not be able to tell where the sub is located (transparency I believe they call it). I hope that helps a little more. Oh, and if anyone has a better suggestion, I am all ears too. Just wish I could hear some more of these subs in person (in a car preferably). Unfortunately, my town is hard to find that.

·
Registered
834 Posts
All subs listed are great. I love my 12w6's. The w6 and IDq can be had for about the same price and will both sound amazing. Stick the w6 in 1.5cuft and enjoy. It likes 1.5 more than 1 or 1.25...tried them all

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Image dynamics

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Care to elaborate? Why?

Also, thanks for the info ousooner2.

Keep 'er coming guys.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A ported enclosure will give you a bit better impact but the sealed is gonna sound better across the board. how you load up the sub is going to play a part in this as well. I have owned the IDQ, the W6, W3s, and ultimo sc. the ultimo was very accurate but didn't do it for me output-wise, all the others are good subs as well, but i have to say that the 220.00 each. arc audio ARC12D2s that I am currently running have impressed the hell out of me! Extremely accurate, efficient, will play down to 30hz in 1 cube, and are very capable in the output area. There is nothing "flashy" about them looks-wise. They are just a very well put together american-made sub. Check them out just for "the sake of checking them out". Many people will try to steer you in the "popular subs" direction. I could honestly care less about "who" makes the sub vs. to how it's built and sounds. You seem to want the same things I and many other people here look for in a sub and this sub will do these things. That's the only reason I'm throwing in my 2 cents. Good luck choosing a sub, I know it's really tough without hearing it first.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A ported enclosure will give you a bit better impact but the sealed is gonna sound better across the board. how you load up the sub is going to play a part in this as well. I have owned the IDQ, the W6, W3s, and ultimo sc. the ultimo was very accurate but didn't do it for me output-wise, all the others are good subs as well, but i have to say that the 220.00 each. arc audio ARC12D2s that I am currently running have impressed the hell out of me! Extremely accurate, efficient, will play down to 30hz in 1 cube, and are very capable in the output area. There is nothing "flashy" about them looks-wise. They are just a very well put together american-made sub. Check them out just for "the sake of checking them out". Many people will try to steer you in the "popular subs" direction. I could honestly care less about "who" makes the sub vs. to how it's built and sounds. You seem to want the same things I and many other people here look for in a sub and this sub will do these things. That's the only reason I'm throwing in my 2 cents. Good luck choosing a sub, I know it's really tough without hearing it first.
Thanks for this and YES, that description is pretty much exactly what I have been looking for if I do indeed decide to go with a different sub. I keep going back and forth on whether to do it or attempt a ported box for my Hertz ML2500. A greater part of me keeps thinking that a 10 is just not going to do it for me. I actually had never really looked at Arc for subs. I will have to look closer I guess. I know they make good amps. I like that price too ;).

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just looked and the Arc won't work I think. Only handles 350 w rms. I need something that will take at least 750 rms at 4 ohm or even better 1100 w rms at 2 ohm.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just looked and the Arc won't work I think. Only handles 350 w rms. I need something that will take at least 750 rms at 4 ohm or even better 1100 w rms at 2 ohm. The Flatline looked appealing until I saw the mount depth. I really need something under 6 inches depth

·
Registered
17 Posts
My vote goes to IDq, have been using them for more than 3 years now and just love them, the accuracy and musicality is unmatched at the price that it retails for. Though morel is in no way behind but the IDq's sound heaven to my ears.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sounds like a similar situation to me. I have a single sealed IDQ10v3 and want to get some more impact and low freq extension. I think the main issue is lack of cone area. I wish I would have gone with a 12 or 2 10s or 12s. Since you have all that power, could you run two subs? That way you can have less excursion to get the output you want and it should be cleaner (depending on what sub). Two of those arc 12s that were mentioned about would be awesome. I'd like to run something like that myself.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Build the ported box first instead of wasting money on a sub that may not be right for you
Thank you. I am going to be doing that and might actually start today if I can get the port tubes locally for a reasonable price. I have a feeling I will have to wait for partsexpress however. Nothing is reasonable around here it seems.

Sounds like a similar situation to me. I have a single sealed IDQ10v3 and want to get some more impact and low freq extension. I think the main issue is lack of cone area. I wish I would have gone with a 12 or 2 10s or 12s. Since you have all that power said:
Two subs is out of the question. I want to keep my stealth install look and there is no room for 2 subs down in the hole. It is going to be tough enough fitting a 12 in there; if I go that route. This stipulation actually eliminates alot of subs that could work because of my depth requirements. IDMax is the first that comes to mind. My ML2500 is actually too deep for my liking at 6.6 inches. It only clears the back wall of the enclosure by less than an inch I think. I haven't had any problems to my knowledge but if I do get a different sub in here I am trying to get one that is no more than 6 inches deep.

·
Registered
192 Posts
just to let you know, I am running a ZED minotaur on EACH of those ARC12s. That's 650 rms at 4 ohms. The rms handling isn't a problem, nor is it really relevant, unless you are gonna run at "full throttle" ALL DAY LONG. Trust me....BUT +1 on building the vented box first with what you have and see if it does what you need it to do with all the different music genres you listen to.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What about the new SSA Icon? If you can run only one, it will get plenty loud and most say it has good SQ.

What about running a 13w6 or 13w7? I've never heard the IDq, but I hear they are a little drier and slightly more punchy than the w6's, but again...different vehicles, different everything. Seriously, anything listed in this thread will be great for you. If you can only run one sub though and are looking for output and SQ..my personal suggestions would be things like the w6, IDq/max, Fi Q, SSA Icon (though I haven't seen much about the new ones)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll have to look up the SSA Icon. I honestly have not heard of that one until now. This was part of the reason for this thread however. I just wish I had done a little more research before I made this post in a hurry from work. The W6 will not work and neither will the W7 either as they are both too deep. I knew the W7 was too deep but I was surprised when I looked closer at the W6. The W3 would work but I think I want a higher line sub. What I want is exactly what I have but with more impact. I love the sq of the ML2500 but it just doesn't give me the jolt I crave. I will look up the SSA. Anybody got other suggestions? I just talked to my installer (Electromedia dealer with a tonne of experience) and he says he's never ported the ML2500. This makes me even more nervous about making a ported box. He didn't say it was a bad idea but he did say what I already knew, they are very tricky to get right. The way I look at it, there must be a reason they have never attempted a ported box with an ML2500. If I get it wrong, I have wasted the money on materials. If I get it right and it still doesn't give me what I want, I will still have to build another box for the 12 inch replacement. I guess I am swaying more to just replacing the sub now. 12 hours from now, I will probably sway back again. This has been me over the past few weeks:(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts