DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 2 sets of Helix Percision 6 1/2 components in my car (1 set in the front doors and 1 set in the rear doors). I am currently using a Helix Percision H400X. I am looking for a replacement amp that would be a step up or two.

I understand that there is mosconi, Arc Audio, etc. However, I am trying to decide between a Brax NO4X DSP, Tru Technology Bullets Series V2, Zapco z 150.4 LX or Sinfoni Amplitude 120x. I understand that Brax is a great Brand ,but my only concern is that the N04X is not recieving anymore updates and it is only 30 watts more then my current amp (100 x 4 vs 70 x 4).

Can somebody please help point me in the right direction to help narrow down between the three?

I want a upgrade amp but dont wanna break the bank.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The advantage of the NOX4DSP is that includes a DSP, which if you do not already have will make a HUGE difference in the sound quality of your system.

If you already have another DSP, then you do. not necessarily need the NOX4DSP and ANY of your three other picks are awesome amps and you likely will NOT be able to tell any diff between them when installed and tuned properly. I would choose between them based on budget and fitment/aesthetics.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I already have a Zapco DSP. The best two options would be the sinfoni or the Zapco Z150.4 LX as far as price goes.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I currently have 2 sets of Helix Percision 6 1/2 components in my car (1 set in the front doors and 1 set in the rear doors). I am currently using a Helix Percision H400X. I am looking for a replacement amp that would be a step up or two.
What about the current amp do you not like?

Those things are likely what one would look for improving in an upgrade... so knowing what you do not like seems relevant.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My current amp sounds really good. It just need more headroom, lacks a strong vocals, and has floor noise ( very minimal). I would like a stronger vocal presence. Instruments sound really clean and upfront. I was hoping that upgrading the amp would increase the headroom and improve vocals.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
lacks a strong vocals
The lack of strong vocals, is a tuning issue. You can fix that with your DSP.
As far as headroom; you may gain a bit more with a different amp.
As far as noise floor; that can be eliminated witha different amp. But have you fully tested your install for potential noise issues?

I was running the Zapco Z-LX amps for a number of years, and they were phenominal. Dead quiet, with huge power.
If you're willing to spend the money; you should also look at the new Zapco Z-AP amps.

With all that said; I would also submit that you might want to consider the MMATS HiFi series of amps. They will definitely check all your boxes.
Car Amplifier | MMATS 1 / 4 / 6 Channel Full Range Class D Car Amplifiers

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
If you want more "headroom" you will need to double your power, at a minimum. Doubling the power will only yield a maximum of 3dB more in output, so anything less than doubling power is pretty pointless. You may not believe it, but 70 watts is plenty of power. Learning how to use the DSP properly will improve your system far more than swapping out the amps. The amount of power it takes for listening levels of audio is so low that 70 watts is good enough except for very loud listening sessions, and at very loud listening sessions our ears clamp down for protection, so we don't hear details as well anyway.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I dont want to waste money on switching amps and dont hear a difference.I need to just focus on tuning to improve the vocals I guess. I have been through a few amps and the Helix has the least watts and it sounds very clean and undistorted.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think you should check out this thread on the Zapco Z150.6 AP. The OP states it blows the doors off the Z150.6 LX.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/384098-new-zapco-z-ap-150-4-amplifier.html

As mentioned earlier, I think you would be well to investigate the Mmats HiFi-6150D.

Both are phenomenal amps. I like the Zapco in that it has no preamp controls to mess with the signal. It just amplifies the signal and nothing else. Since you have a DSP, then this may just be your best SQ option.

That Mmats is one helluva an amp, as well. Much smaller footprint than the Zapco and since it is a Class D amp, electrical requirements will me much less. It can also go down to 1 ohm for the sub channels, where the Zapco cannot.

Both are not cheap, but if you have the funds I'd dive right in with what best suits you.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Thank you. I dont want to waste money on switching amps and not hear a difference.I need to just focus on tuning to improve the vocals I guess. I have been through a few amps and the Helix has the least watts and it sounds very clean and undistorted.
I think maybe gain adjustments to lower the noise would be a first start?
A scope (or some peak signal measurement) could tell you how much headroom you have or whether that is a concern.

With ^that knowledge^ then one can make a rational decision. (But everyone likes have a new amp for the irrational joy it brings ;) )

If the noise becomes tolerable and the headroom is enough, then whether tuning helps or not becomes independent of the amp?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts